Where Do These Tubes Go?

wil03

I'm trying to figure out where the 2 of my vacuum tubes that are just hanging loose are supposed to go. One of the starts from just after the air flow meter, the other from the front of the intake pletium where the lexus emblem is on the engine. I'll try to upload photo of them, with screw driver pointing to the origin of the tubes. If someone can please either describe or have a picture of where these tubes go, that would really help me out. I searched around the engine bay for about 1/2 hour to no avail. thanks in advance!

post-4-1079243530.jpg

Those are for the idle control valve on the powersteering pump. If they are not used someone may have bypassed the valve.

Yeah,

That one that goes into the Valve cover may have been "squirting" a little PS fluid back into the valve area. They must have plugged it to stop the leak!

I looked on the power steering pump, but don't see a connection. As for right now, it doesn't seem to make any difference... should I just plug both of them up? If anyone would be kind enough to take a picture of where they go, that would be so very helpful to me. thanks!!!!

I have pictures of my engine with the trim covers off that may offer some help. They are posted in the LS gallery. I also have them in very large jpegs (5.5M) I can shrink them just enough to get past your email max which is usually 5M, then you can really enlarge them to see all the details. I'm not sure if it will show what you need, but anything to help.

send me your email if you want the large pix.

Denny

Thanks for all your replies. I went over to the gallery and searched around for a picture that shows where it goes. The best picture I can find shows that both tubes go behind the power steering resevoir. I have included the picture that I found, and circled where I'm stuck on. Unfortunately, I can not find a "connector" for where it goes to around that area. Does anyone possibly have a picture of that or please remember to snap a shot of where it goes the next time you work on your car? thanks in adance!

post-4-1079321682.jpg

I have found that connector, and it appears that both of them are broken off...

I suppose I'll need to hunt down the air control valve and have it replaced. Does that just control the idle speed during turning? I did a search for parts on various sites for "air control valve", but none came back as available part. I hope it won't be only be available as a whole unit. I suppose it will have to be a dealer parts dept item. Does anyone have the part number by any chance? thanks!

I have found that connector, and it appears that both of them are broken off...

I suppose I'll need to hunt down the air control valve and have it replaced. Does that just control the idle speed during turning? I did a search for parts on various sites for "air control valve", but none came back as available part. I hope it won't be only be available as a whole unit. I suppose it will have to be a dealer parts dept item. Does anyone have the part number by any chance? thanks!

You can definately buy just the Air control valve....$100 part...plus maybe a gasket and such...With Labor @ lexus it will total $275 or so

Are you saying those two "horns" are broken off?

To tell you the truth.....If you're not leaking fluid and your steering is fine..I'd seriously consider leaving it the way it is..

Does it leak on the undercarriage at all.....??

If you are going to do it, I've got the torque specs somewhere..you can PM me

Yes, the 2 horns are broken off. :( I just found out the horn tips reside in the end of the tubes. I do not see any leakage at all. To tell you the truth, I think it had been broken off since 2 years ago when it was involved in an passenger front side-swipe accident... (got to get those drunk drivers off the road, could have killed my family! My Lexus protected everyone in the car without a scratch!) I checked the power steering fluid level, and it is still full. I do see some wet spot at the bottom half of the power steering fluid reservoir... but that appears to be the extent of the leakage. Other than that, the steering is working perfectly fine as far as I can tell, and the car engine doesn't die at full turns (is that the function of the air control valve? to prevent the car engine from dying at full turns?) Maybe I should just plug the 2 holes on the air control valve up with a screw or something to prevent future leaks? As for the 2 hoses, I figure I use the one horn that broke off within the tube, and connected the 2 tubes end- to-end to prevent vacuum leaks. :whistles: Is that a good idea? thanks so much for your help!!!

Yes, the 2 horns are broken off. :( I just found out the horn tips reside in the end of the tubes. I do not see any leakage at all. To tell you the truth, I think it had been broken off since 2 years ago when it was involved in an passenger front side-swipe accident... (got to get those drunk drivers off the road, could have killed my family! My Lexus protected everyone in the car without a scratch!) I checked the power steering fluid level, and it is still full. I do see some wet spot at the bottom half of the power steering fluid reservoir... but that appears to be the extent of the leakage. Other than that, the steering is working perfectly fine as far as I can tell, and the car engine doesn't die at full turns (is that the function of the air control valve? to prevent the car engine from dying at full turns?) Maybe I should just plug the 2 holes on the air control valve up with a screw or something to prevent future leaks? As for the 2 hoses, I figure I use the one horn that broke off within the tube, and connected the 2 tubes end- to-end to prevent vacuum leaks. :whistles: Is that a good idea? thanks so much for your help!!!

You know, I partially bought the big LS because it is a solid, safe car - with our family in mind too...-- glad it proved out!!!

About the leak, two thoughts:

1) Even though the tips are broken,, you've got perfectly functioning PS so that's a vote to leave it alone. Yeah, connect the vacuum tubes and run it till it gives you a more substantial problem..Probably my vote. You know what's wrong and how to fix it if it ever really goes bad :D

2) Check and see if that leak is getting into your Alternator.... if it is, it will eventually ruin it. (But maybe its just a tiny leak, as you say, the PS level is full).

It may be leaking only at the base of this air control valve, along the gasket seal - and dripping off the bottom: so know biggee there.

There's a picture in the LS gallery of a "home made" plastic shield over the alternator to prevent the PS fluid from ruining the Alt. It's probably somewhere in the middle of the file....just keep fllipping thru and you'll find it. Maybe you can create some sort of cover, just try to deflect that fluid away from the Alternator..

I was going to buy an air control valve because the vacuum from the intake manifold was sucking the fluid from the pump. It was going to take a while to get it and even if I did, the limited space I was going to work with was... scary.

I bought some plugs at pepboys and plugged the metal tube on the intake manifold. It's been working fine so far and I have not noticed any difference.