2013 Gs 350Awd Versus 2009-2012 Es 350

For those who have owned such cars, can you tell me how does the 2013 GS 350 AWD (Luxury or Technology package ) compare to the ES 350 (2009-2012) in terms of comfort, ride and quietness?

Thanks.

I sure can, sorry it took me so long its been crazy town around here.

My GS is a Luxury AWD model with the AVS suspension. I had a 2010 ES before it, and actually had a 2012 ES as a loaner not long ago and it was interesting to get back into that car after having been in the GS for 4 months.

I greatly prefer the way the GS rides. The ES is more softly sprung, theres no question about that. At low speeds say pulling out of the garage or going over speed bumps, you can tell that the GS is definitely a stiffer car. The GS however has a much more sophisticated suspension setup, and it glides down the road in a much more solid, stable way, in a way that reminds me a lot of the LS actually. It has a premium heft to it that the ES does not have. It rides beautifully, yet its much flatter in turns and when you put it into Sport S+ mode it really turns into another animal.

In terms of noise, the GS is very quiet (be sure to get the Michelin tires, not the Dunlops), and wind noise is very hushed, very similar to the ES. The GS luxury model does have double paned acoustic glass like the LS does, which helps make it quieter. Big difference is the engine note. The ES is engineered to be nearly silent, where the GS actually has an intake sound generator that gives it an audible very deep intake growl when you really get on the throttle. I go back and forth on that, you really don't hear it unless you get heavy on the throttle, but its different than the ES.

Hope that helps. I will never own an ES again now that I have this GS. All in all the solidity, the premium feel, the quality of materials are all a big step up from the ES.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was waiting to hear back from you before deciding to test drive one.

I'll be at the dealer on Friday for an oil change (RX 350) and I'll ask to test drive the used (3,000 miles) 2013 GS 350 AWD they have for sale.

I'm glad you really enjoy your car as much as I am currently enjoying my ES 350. But I guess we always want more :)

You should definitely drive one. Does that one have the luxury package and the AVS? I always loved my ES350 too, I had about 6 months left on the lease and was underwhelmed with the new 2013 ES, and this was just too good a deal to pass up. I'm paying about $80 a month more than I was paying for my ES, and about $40 a month more than a new ES would have been for a $20,000 more expensive car...

You should definitely drive one. Does that one have the luxury package and the AVS? I always loved my ES350 too, I had about 6 months left on the lease and was underwhelmed with the new 2013 ES, and this was just too good a deal to pass up. I'm paying about $80 a month more than I was paying for my ES, and about $40 a month more than a new ES would have been for a $20,000 more expensive car...

Nop, my ES 350 is the base model, not even NAV. I only miss the higher quality sound system and better headlights (that's for another tread in the ES 350 forum).

From a financial point of view, it just wouldn't make sense to get a 2013 ES 350 when you can get a 2013 GS 350 for only $40 more!!!

So I test drove a 2013 GS 350 premium package and I was positively impressed. What surprised me the most is how much I appreciated the 12" display. So bright and sharp. Once in the car, it doesn't take long to get used to the new dashboard. The bottom line is that it is too much of a car for me. I don't need so much power at my disposal.

I agree with you and I am also underwhelmed by the 2013 ES 350. It is for this reason that I'm currently looking at 2011-2012 ES 350. The 2009 ES 350 I purchased two months ago was my first foray in the ES world and now I that appreciate it a great deal, I am looking for something newer and better equipped.

I always buy my cars used. Lease options in Canada are never as good as in America. I like to buy used, maybe 2-4 years old with low mileage (preferably about 20K miles). If lease options in Canada would be as affordable as they are in America, I might lease instead and that would change the whole ball game.

Again thanks for your input.