2004 Ls430 Steering Column Tilt Stopped Working

kesabsy

My car's steering column tilt function stopped working. And of course it is in the position my wife used, which is way down.

Has anyone had the same problem? Would it be the motor, or gears etc? It was working a little weird, where sometimes it was going up when I pressed on the little joystick like button, The telescoping seems to be working, it is just the up and down tilting functions.

Any help is appreciated.

sounds like the gear needs to be replaced on the up/down motor. There is a DIY thread on the net for this. Apparently you can just "shim" the old gear and make it work. My GS did this and I pulled the clamshell cover off of the column and tapped on the motor with the butt of a screwdriver handle and it works normally now. I also lubed the shaft/pivot mechanisms.

Thanks keykeeper, I'll try that this weekend. I also found a small gear they are selling on eBay, and am wondering if that will work on mine, although it doesn't say it is for my year car, but I'm going to try that too. if anyone has tried it let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-97-Lexus-LS400-Steering-Wheel-Column-Tilt-Motor-telescopic-adjustment-Repair-/350523591464?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519cd58b28&vxp=mtr

Thanks keykeeper, I'll try that this weekend. I also found a small gear they are selling on eBay, and am wondering if that will work on mine, although it doesn't say it is for my year car, but I'm going to try that too. if anyone has tried it let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-97-Lexus-LS400-Steering-Wheel-Column-Tilt-Motor-telescopic-adjustment-Repair-/350523591464?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519cd58b28&vxp=mtr

THAT GEAR will not fit your LS.

Bad news, as Billy mentions the system was changed and it is normally the motor which fails costing a few hundred $$$.

IIRC the Toyota Landcruiser uses the same motor which is cheaper than the Lexus version.