Rear Clunking Noise, 95 Es300

TJB

My 95 ES300 makes a rear clunking noise when going over bumps. Sounds like something loose in the truck. I’ve checked the truck (spare, tools and jack) and everything is secure. Lexus service garage advised me that my car has struts that are seconds although they are ok for state inspection. They thought the rear clunking noise was from worn rear bushings. Estimate to replace $120.00. I had another garage look at my car and they thought the noise was from the rear struts and not the bushings. Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

I have the EXACT same problem on my LS, the day I bought it. I asked people and a mechanic they said that it was the strut bar. But I never took the time to take it back to get it fixed. I guess I'll replace them when they get worser. I was not much help but just to let you know that it is in the LS too. By the way, 146,000 miles here.

I have the same problem with my 95 ES300. I replaced the rear struts a few months ago but that did not resolve the problem. I did notice that when I have heavy passengers in the rear seat, I don't hear the noise very much if at all. I don't know if that bit of info helps. Let us know how things turn out.

Me too. '95 ES300 with 145K with the same problem. I have checked everything in the trunk of the car to make sure that nothing is loose. I even went to the point of taking out the spare tire, jack, CD changer magazine, liners, pad, etc and I can't pinpoint the problem. I'm fairly sure it is in the suspension somewhere, but i just don't know where. It is starting to *BLEEP* me off since alot of the roads around here suck and I constantly hear it.

You might want to take a look at your center support bearing (hanger bearing - supports the driveshaft), tranny mount, and engine mount (driver's side). I know changing these items on my SC400 made a clunking noise in the rear go away - your ES may not have a hanger bearing though, ask the dealer.

I have the absolute right answer for your problems.

i have a 95 es300 and exact same thing happened to me. infact, i fixed my problem just this past weekend.

your clunking noise is coming from your top strut bolt, which got loosened just a little.

i had to remove the whole rear seats. very easy. pull the bottom upwards to pull out the cushion. two bolts are holding the rear seat (one on each side). you pull the rear seat upwards to unhook them.

then, you take a 22mm (i am not sure but it's twenty something)mm socket and tighten the bolt.

i turned mine about 1/4 of a turn, but it fixed my problem.

let me know if you run into any problems.

I wonder if this could be my problem as well? :unsure: My 01' has only 44,000 miles on it (still under factory warranty) & I notice when I hit a decent bump, that I notice a banging in the back end like somethin gis loose back there.....as you guy's did too.....I checked the trunk to see if anything was loose & nothing. I wonder if I should get the dealer to have a look at this next week? Any other possibilities that this problem could be?

:cheers:

i have a 95 es300 and exact same thing happened to me. infact, i fixed my problem just this past weekend.

your clunking noise is coming from your top strut bolt, which got loosened just a little.

i had to remove the whole rear seats. very easy. pull the bottom upwards to pull out the cushion. two bolts are holding the rear seat (one on each side). you pull the rear seat upwards to unhook them.

then, you take a 22mm (i am not sure but it's twenty something)mm socket and tighten the bolt.

No card for you. I tried your suggestion this wekend, but no luck, All of the nuts on the top of the struts were as tight as possible and didn't allow for any adjustment. The noise continues...

On the other hand, it did give me a good chance to clean the interior really well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to see about the bolts on top of the struts tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I have had the same problem for a few thousand miles. I have a '96 with 123k miles and not a damn thing wrong with it inside/out except that damn noise.

• 1 month later...

First off, I took EVERYTHING out of my trunk (spare, tools, everything!) but the rumble persists. SO I decided to try the top strut mount bolt method.

I've got the entire rear seat out of my car, but I don't know where this bolt is supposed to be! I am not really mechanically inclined, and do not know where the top strut mount bolt is.

PLEASE PLEASE help if anyone can! My car is in pieces right now, and I don't want to have to put it all together again, only to have to take it all apart again tomorrow!

Thanks!

Bryan

To you LS and SC owners, you guys are aware that the ES is front wheel drive right? Anything that's clunking in back of your car could be a completely different story than on the ES's. Just makin sure. ;)

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem w/ my 94 w/ 153K on it :angry: and after replacing the struts and the rear sway bar, the Alfa folks swear that its the bumper becoming loose. In fact the chief guy walked behind and demonstrated how he could recreate the noise. His advice was to remove and apply that foam expanding insulation and remount to remove the noise. His other comment was that the gas tank after so many years has baffles that give way and make a less audible noise as gas moves. I'm not so sure about this one, but will try the bumper insulation at some point in the near future.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.. but

What's recommended for lubing the (rear) sway bar endlinks? I'm having the annoying clunking noises described by TJB who made the thread and want to try the lubing before changing out parts (endlinks then struts&strut mounts).

Thanks in advance.