Handsfree While Driving

Mitchkob

Does anyone know exactly how to disable the speed sensor that feeds into the Nav system on the 2004 Ls430? I understand that if it is disconnected I will be able to enter a phone number on the touch pad of the handsfree telephone pad while the car is driving. This is much safer than fumbling with my cell phone while driving, but Lexus decided that it was in its best interests not to let you use the car's features to do that. They would rather force you to dial on your cell phone, which is more dangerous. That's what happens when you include a lawyer in your design team I guess.

It can be defeated BUT the speed sensor is an integral part of the navigation system. When you don't get GPS feed, the speed sensor helps to keep you on the map. I've known people installing a switch to turn off the sensor so they can input their info, then reactivate it so the system will work properly, but this involves extensive wiring and is almost certain to void the warranty...

What you might want to try is calling around to some local stereo install places and see if they have something that they can do to install the switch. The wiring is really easy you just have to find the lead that goes from the speed sensor to the nav unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope the lexus designers read this... this issue is one of the most annoying things about my 2004 LS430. Along the same lines is the problem that a passenger cannot enter a navigation destination while the car is moving. It's probably worth sacrificing the navigation interpolation between GPS fixes to correct these two glaring issues.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a modified control program for the system which keeps the speed sensor intact and also allows all operations while the car is moving? I realize this would be quite a bit more difficult than removing/disabling the speed sensor input, but it would be the "right" solution (along with removing the totally useless "OK the disclaimer on startup" thing).

- Nick

Theres absolutely no way to remove the "OK" disclaimer at startup. People have tried everything including re-burning the DVD discs to remove it and theres no way.

I always thought AT LEAST allow input while the passenger seat sensor registers an occupant. I find myself pulling off the highway, which is more dangerous than just inputting the address...

Can't say about the LS, but my RX has a LAN, local area network, separate input and output at each ECU, whereby all the ECUs communicate. I couldn't get the HIDs to tilt upward with HB above ~20MPH because the LAN was being used to pass speed info to the auto-leveling ECU. I would imagine the GPS/Nav screen ECU uses the same info path.

If like me, you don't use the nav very often you can simply open the nav dvd door. The "agree" question will not come up, but you must close the dvd door and wait a few minutes until it "cold boots" before you can use it.