Got Hit By A Drunk Driver Tonight

Thats actually a commonly held fallacy. The car can DEFINATELY be repaired so that he won't be able to tell it was ever damaged. It used to not be the case, buit today with computerized paint matching and a good skilled paint and body technician nobody will ever be able to tell the car was damaged. As for it showing up on a carfax it probably will because the police were involved. Whenever the police are involved it will show up on a carfax.

I wasn't implying that the car couldn't be repaired to good as new condition physically. Just about any good body shop can get it to the point where you could never tell that it has been werecked. Fortunately it is a late model and the paint is still relatively new so you don't have to worry as much about matching the paint (due to fading).

But mentally you'll have to live with the fact that it has been in a wreck as well as suffer the loss on the trade in since the accident will most likely have been reported to Carfax.

Stevie- Yep our stickers are static cling and go INSIDE the doors ;)

I'll have Matt send you some. There are several styles.

Bran- BUT is that mental anguish worth taking a bath on trading it in? Driving a used car vs one used by you since new? Adding on extra payments? Not for me, not for superficial damage like that. If the car were in a severe highspeed accident maybe, but not for damage like that.

dang stevie... sorry to hear bout the ES. hope the body shop experience goes through quick and painful.

i would still keep the car. it seems to be just cosmetic damage. no mechanical most likely. but best thing is that YOU'RE okay... cars can be replaced and fixed... lives can't... especially by drunk drivers. stay safe out there guys.

the LOC stickers are great... i have WAY too many... matt made way too many designs lol. i can't finish them all... my windows would be covered if i used every design he made... i swear. matt's a maniac. :) (in a good way, matt...)

kev

I'm back from Key West and tanned. I saw the car today.....wish I hadn't. It looked so sad. The rear bumper was off.....looks like my lex got pantsed. I had to giggle.

The new doors were one, but not painted. All the interior stuff and door hardware were off. I didn't need to see that. The guy told me not to worry. Mine had the least damage of all cars in there. As I talk to more and more people, this is the best shop in the area. I was amazed at all the cars they were working on. All high end stuff. I did make the shop guy aware of the TSB on the sound insulation and he said he will pull the procedure and reinforce the mounting of the stuff so it won't make noise next winter.

Anyway, I get my car back by Sat. morning. The total as of right now is $4500. I picked up my rental today. 2003 BMW 325i 4 door. Ironically, it is silver too. I like the sportyness of the BMW, but I miss my lex.

vacation was awesome, but I'm kinda glad to be back.

steviej

dang stevie. good to hear vacation wasn't too bad with your mind on the Lex the whole time. good to hear it's getting worked on and being babied just like you treat it. :) if they work on high end cars like Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, and any exotics, i'm sure they'd be a well trusted body shop. and if a guy's willing to pull procedure to help you fix somethin wrong that lexus did. that's gotta be somewhat reassuring. hope this experience goes all well. i'll bet you can't wait to get that Lexus back and get back into the smooth clean feel of the ES :) it'll come, stevie, it'll come. :P

kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Heya steviej,

Just ran through the posts/pics/details, and I'm glad they caught the

drunk driver and that you're ok. Unfortunately, when things like that happen,

it just seems so stupid. Sounds like the body shop knows how to do

quality work (not the get'em in---- get'em out philosophy). Really, if the car

was great, get it fixed-- 2002 should last for years. Glad you also enjoy

vacation, I looking forward to week in May. I'll see you at the meet in NJ,

on the 25th.

PharmGuy

The car was repaired. I am not completely satisfied with the right front passenger door. The trim doesn't quite line up on the inside and molding doesn't quite line up on outside. Paintjob is flawless.

I will be in touch with you this week via PM. There are a couple of us meeting on I-84 after the Strurbridge tolls. Then we meet up with another bunch in Danbury.

You can hook up with us in Either place.

I am going to try a link to a CL thread that has caravan information for MA/CT/NY and for DE/MD/PA.

steveij