Thinking Of Servicing My Lexus At Toyota

Spats

We have a 2013 RX350. The first 5000 mile complimentary service is scheduled for next week at the Lexus dealer which is about an hours drive from our home. I believe there is a second complimentary service (10,000 mile) which we will have done at the Lexus dealer also.

After these two services, I was thinking about maybe using the local Toyota dealership for service. The only reason I'm thinking about this is, it's about ten minutes from our house. Much more convenient. My question is, will the service I get at the Toyota dealer be of lesser quality then that at the Lexus dealer? I know Lexus is Toyota, but are the service techs at the Lexus dealer more qualified to work on a Lexus than the Toyota service techs?

tell you, I have had good and bad experience with Lexus dealership mechanics...There is no elite when it comes to mechanics, you have good, you have bad....I have been taking my RX400h to Toyota locally (Rosevile CA) and they have been absolutely great, could change, but one never knows. I have an excellent mechanical knowledge when it comes to cars and that makes a difference also because the BS stops when I hear it, and I correct them immediately and tell them I dont appreciate BS being given to any customer....THe Local Lexus Dealership (Roseville Lexus) had absolutely the worst when it came to fixing my old RX300...Their lack of quality was beyond words....I had an inverter cooling pump go on my RX400h and Toyota treated me not only better, but did not cheat, lie, or BS me on any of the repairs. They also gave me a Senior Discount and 20% off on parts. Cant ask more than that, they were fair, professional, and Repaired the vehicle promptly. I always suggest consumers learn about their products and be knowledgeable when dealing with businesses, It will save you Dollars and stop the BS. Forums like this will give you the knowledge for getting that fair shake.

• Like 1

tell you, I have had good and bad experience with Lexus dealership mechanics...There is no elite when it comes to mechanics, you have good, you have bad....I have been taking my RX400h to Toyota locally (Rosevile CA) and they have been absolutely great, could change, but one never knows. I have an excellent mechanical knowledge when it comes to cars and that makes a difference also because the BS stops when I hear it, and I correct them immediately and tell them I dont appreciate BS being given to any customer....THe Local Lexus Dealership (Roseville Lexus) had absolutely the worst when it came to fixing my old RX300...Their lack of quality was beyond words....I had an inverter cooling pump go on my RX400h and Toyota treated me not only better, but did not cheat, lie, or BS me on any of the repairs. They also gave me a Senior Discount and 20% off on parts. Cant ask more than that, they were fair, professional, and Repaired the vehicle promptly. I always suggest consumers learn about their products and be knowledgeable when dealing with businesses, It will save you Dollars and stop the BS. Forums like this will give you the knowledge for getting that fair shake.

Hi lenore. Thanks for the feedback. I live in Stockton, and I'm taking my RX 350 to Lexus of Sacramento for it's first complimentary service. I believe there is a second complimentary service also, so I will be taking it to Sacto. for that also. I guess I'll see how it goes with those two, and then decide what to do. I have two nearby Toyota dealers, one in Stockton, the other in Lodi. It's just the inconvenience, which I fully knew about when I bought the car, of traveling the long distance to have it serviced.

Lexus of Sacramento is where I bought my first lexus RX300 in November of 1998....They performed all services satisfactory. No issues. Just for your info I have used Maita Toyota in Sacramento and also received good service....Good luck with your service, enjoy your ride. Remember if you have issues and dont know what to expect use this forum, we will educate or at least come up with some answers....

Lexus of Sacramento is where I bought my first lexus RX300 in November of 1998....They performed all services satisfactory. No issues. Just for your info I have used Maita Toyota in Sacramento and also received good service....Good luck with your service, enjoy your ride. Remember if you have issues and dont know what to expect use this forum, we will educate or at least come up with some answers....

Thanks lenore.

Can a Toyota dealer know about or be able to implement service bulletins and other warranty repairs on a Lexus? I've been down that path. The Toyota/Lexus organization has built a pretty good "firewall" between Lexus and Toyota dealers unless things have changed.

I had a constant stream of free and sometimes undisclosed work performed at a Lexus dealer on one new and one 3-year old Lexus while the warranties were in effect. Lexus dealers are paid for doing this work while your vehicle is under warranty so it can be a lose situation for both of you if this work doesn't get done.

I'm not saying you can't use a Toyota dealer or other shop to maintain your Lexus but only that should might want to have at least some dealer contact to ensure that all service bulletins are applied.

could always register at my Lexus and look for info on Lexus campaigns....

I've had work done at the Lexus dealership for which there was never a public service campaign or TSIB. It's as if there is a multi-tier service campaign system - one only the dealer knows about and the other which is for the public. For example, I never found a TSIB for the LS400 trunk water leakage issue but each time I took my LS400 in for service a "reseal trunk" no-charge item would appear on the invoice. Sometimes work performed under warranty was encoded on the invoice and the nature of it was not disclosed. This was in the early 90's when the LS400 was getting hit hard by Jay Leno jokes. I don't remember any of this "secret work" being done on my 2000 LS400 but it had only one year of its basic warranty left when I bought it used.

Is that Lexus dealer mechanic still participating in this forum? Might be a good question for him if he is.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 20k Oil & rotation on my 2010 RX done by the nearby huge Toyota Dealer (Arlington Toyota, Palatine Illinois) when they sent me a flyer offering to do the Oil Change and Tire Rotation for $50. They specifically said they service Lexus. Since the engine is the same as several Toyota V6 cars, I felt they could do it. I took it in, they had it back to me in 1 hr on a weekday morning, and the they used the right oil (0w20 Mobil 1 Synthetic). the only thing I missed was the selection of 25 different coffees and free juice & snacks at the the Lexus dealer. I also missed the $50-$100 extra cost (well, it was a special offer). For basic powertrain work I trust a Toyota dealer, if it were for working on the unique few Lexus features, perhaps a Lexus dealer is better.

I don't know about where you live but here in LA the Toyota dealership does not fare well compared to the amazing Lexus dealership, Glendale Lexus....I love going to the nice Lexus dealership....plus the fact is, I have the Lexus Visa card. I use it to pay for every fill up...many purchases and because of the rewards, I usually pay nothing or very little to get my service. I did not pay a single cent on my last ,(30K, service and wash) ..plus now that I do not have a hybrid, I don't ask for a loaner so I go to the nice diner on the next block! Having the Lexus rewards Visa is great. Just my two cents. I like luxury even at a dealership. Rey in LA

Yes,

I really love this car. I was just thinking that this morning here in LA...the weather was perfect...my car is just...so nice! I LOVE the "mouse" for the nav.....I will have to get that again no matter what car I get after this...maybe my third RX? Happy trails, Rey

I live about 40 minutes from my Lexus dealership. One thing I appreciate is that they will come to my house to pick up my car and leave a loaner saving me a lot of time. They will even do this for a minor servicing like an oil change. My wife has a Toyota and they will give her a loaner for only a major service if she requests it.

I live over 100 miles to the nearest Lexus Dealership. I purchased my GX 460 knowing there was a great distance between home and servicing the vehicle. After all, it is a Lexus and as I have experienced in the past, rarely has anything gone wrong.

I too use my local in town, Toyota dealership to service my Lexus. I also have a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser and have owned several Toyotas purchased from the local dealership with much success. They are very dependable, Also, they provide curteous personal attention to all my needs. If the service is a normal scheduled service as outlined in the maintenance manual I find Toyota is capable in handling it.

I basically alternate between services and whenever I know I am going to be in the neighborhood of the Lexus dealership and a service is to be scheduled, I do have it done there.

This Monday I am having the oil changed at the Toyota dealership. In another 2,000 miles, there is a regular maintenance service due and I will take the GX to the Lexus dealer.

None of this is a secret and I do not receive any negative comments, or encouragement to do anything else. Afterall, what can one expect if one must drive 2 hours to have a service for their vehicle.

Also, I did consider purchasing a Range Rover when I purchased the GX 460. Even with the dealerships practically next door to each other and over 100 miles away, and the Range Rover was about $5,000 less. However, having a local Toyota dealeship available for servicing the Lexus was a deciding factor. Otherwise, I would have been held hostage to having to trek the 100 miles every time I would have to service the Range Rover and think of the effort if the vehicle were to have a problem that prevented it being driven to the dealership for that service.

I am not sorry in the least in deciding to purchase the GX 460 and I am very happy with the attention I receive by my local Toyota dealer in servicing it.

Although, the 2011 GX 460 does have some features I do not like in comparison to the GX 470 that I traded in for it which is another story in itself.

Slightly off topic but relevant....

I recently had to replace my tires. One of the tires had a hole in it that could not be patched. I had the Lexus dealer use the spare since I did not want to spend the money at the time. I also mentioned that I was going to get a price for replacements at Costco before I went ahead with it.

There was absolutely no pressure from the service coordinator but she did mention that the "road force" balancing that Lexus did would be superior to the static balance that they did at Costco and she would suggest an alignment when I got them changed which they could do for $50 when I was replacing the tires.

As it turned out it was cheaper to get them at Lexus than it was to get them at Costco. Additionally, they gave me a loaner so I did not have to shop the warehouse for two hours and go home with $500 worth of stuff that I did not really need.

Ray Catena Lexus in Ocean was the service shop. They have always been great to me. I highly recommend their service department.

Searching for struts and rear springs for my '06 RX330 I found local Toyota dealer (Raleigh, NC) listed the same part numbers for the RX as their Highlander. I btought he manufacturers coil springs for $88.01, instead of $129.99 from Lexus, .

The struts were a different matter. I bought Monroe OESpectrum Struts for $89.94 vs $130.99 at Advance Auto, PLUS A $90 REBATE from Monroe, giving me a net cost of $67.44, NO TAX, NO SHIPPING COST! Lexus struts were quoted to me a$265.00 plus tax, each! No they are not Lexus, but at the savings, I'll take this deal.

Springs are necessary because of a handicap lift improperly installed on the rear.

Something to consider from a guy with tons of Lexus and Toyota experience (I have a 1998 LX470 that is approaching legendary status here on the east coast - 484k miles and still in showroom condition)...

Your choice in your mechanic needs to be based on a personal working relationship. Jimmy John who just gothis job at your local Lexus dealer because he used to work on his dad's tractor is what you can get when your vehicle goes into the repair pool. Find one single mechanic and stick with him. Your are paying for his historical working knowledge of your car.

Next, the best investment you can make for your Lexus is the parts catalog. You can find these on EBay. Whenever you need a part, look it up in the catalog and call your local Toyota dealer with the part number and buy it from Toyota. Lexus will not give you the part number because they want to prevent you from figuring out what I am about to tell you. When you order the part from Lexus, you pay 40 - 60% more for the vary same part in the very same box when you buy it from Lexus.

You can save THOUSANDS over the life of your car with this little tip.

Best wishes (iif the Lexus moderator lets this one post.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

The nearest Lexus dealer for me is 130 miles away, in any direction. Decided to use the Toyota dealer in San Luis Obispo for minor service and have been satisfied the work (LS 430 and now my LS 460). For major service I make the trip and have it done at Lexus.

• Like 1

I decided to give Toyota a try. We had some deferred maintentance plus some engine light issues on our 2001 Lexus RX 300: Knock sensor (kept transmission from shifting into 4th gear); Timing belt; air/fuel sensors @ Bank 1 sensor 1 & bank 2 sensor 2 bank 2; spark plug replacement = $1,766, tax included.

All work was completed on time and in a professional manner. Saved approximately $500!

• Like 1

We purchased our used '05 RX 330 from Toyota Mall of Georgia. For my family this made our 12th vehicle we've purchased from TMOG. Service after the sale has always been very critical to anything we purchase of substantial value.

The Carfax indicated regular service at an Atlanta based Lexus dealer. With 85k miles on it, it was good to see the regular maintenance. We purchased the 20k mile extended warranty from TMOG for $2k. That worked out well, as the struts failed, front end bushing issues and the rack & pinion gear box failed. There were some other minor issues which were resolved and all went well.

The continued service has been outstanding as we have developed an excellent relationship with TMOG's serivce advisor. They know the product and have kept it running like a top. We're @ 137k miles and are quite satisfied to the point, I'm consider taking my '10 Camaro to them for service.(not too happy with Rick Hendrick's service)

To me, it all boils down to honesty, reliable and a good relationship with your service center. My Totota dealer has done me well over the 20 years I've been dealing with them and I always regret it when I go somewhere else.

We'll get another RX in the next couple of years and if TMOG has a used on their lot, I'll probadly purchased from them before I go to Lexus, just because of the superior serivce I have experienced.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

• Like 1

My first Lexus dealership was 70 miles away and now my new Lexus dealership (2nd RX) is 150 miles away. One of the biggest selling points on my first was that the dealership would drive to my home and leave a loaner, take it back to the dealership for servicing and return it the next day! It was a huge benefit to say the least. So when I began shopping and bought my 2013 RX350 recently, I asked the dealer 150 miles away if they would match the drop off / loaner / bring back service. And they said, "Yes!" You guys should ask your dealerships for the same service.

• Like 1

Relative to using a Toyota dealership for routine maintenance, I asked the service rep if they had access to the Lexus computer database, and they said NO.

Looks like to me any non-routine maintenance must be done at a Lexus dealership if you want Lexus to keep up with your Lexus maintenance.

Looks like sharing data would not be such a big deal, but what do I know?

• 3 years later...

Unless you purchased a maintenance contract that limits your options, it doesn't matter who services your car after the warranty is up so long as the give you great and reliable service. The only thing Lexus is going to do after warranty is charge you more than almost anyone else. If you need a part, shop around. The actual price you pay may differ considerably, even among dealers. For instance installation charges for a navigation update, not the actual license, varied between $0 to $200. The dealer I purchased the car from wanted $100. That dealer did not do the upgrade and has lost any future paid business.