Tire Choices - Rx300

Rezman

2002 RX300 FWD -

I'm replacing a set of BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Touring that have about 62,000 miles on them and are just about bald. They had a somewhat rough ride but great wet traction for the first 20k miles or so, then the wet traction started to have problems. There's an intersection I have to stop at everyday right outside my neighborhood, where there's an uphill grade. Starting from a stop on the uphill with a wet road was very difficult - I started having to put on the ECT/SNOW to get traction. Supposedly these tires have great wet traction, so I don't know if the problem was the tires or just my car.

I was not particularly a fan of the outlines raised white letters on the sidewall of the BFG tires, either.

Has anyone had any experience with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia tires? They have a higher speed rating then most tires for the RX300 but they are supposedly smooth, low rolling resistance, good traction, and a fuel saver. They are rated at 103H instead of the 101S or 101T most often used for the RX300. There's a deal on them at Costco right now - $169 each installed minus $70 off the total, $606 +tax out the door.

We had the Bridgestone's on my wifes 1999 RX300 and they were ok. We however replacerd them with Hankook's from town fair tire when they went, and these have been great! Even in the New England winter. Town Fair Tire- under $600 for all 4 with 4 wheel alignment, etc.

We had the Bridgestone's on my wifes 1999 RX300 and they were ok. We however replacerd them with Hankook's from town fair tire when they went, and these have been great! Even in the New England winter. Town Fair Tire- under $600 for all 4 with 4 wheel alignment, etc.

How many miles did you put on the Ecopias? How was the ride, handling, traction, road noise?

What kind of Hankooks did you replace them with?

The Bridgestones where on there when we bought it. She only put about 12,000 on them when we changed the out- they weren't bald but they I felt like they were slipping in the snow / slush. We bought it Dec of 2005 and that winter they were fine but after the first weather of 2006 they had to go- at that point we put on the Hankooks- not sure which ones. But they were great- much better in the snow. (However in all fairness to Bridgestone I did not drive them new) She just changed them last summer after around 50,000 miles and put on Hankook Dynapro HP. These I can say are quiet, handle great- really grips the road, great in rain and snow, and give a smooth ride... overall I'm happy with them. She drives the car like she stole it, so I actually expected the tires to be worse than they were. With that said, I had Bridgestones on my GS400. Put them on new and was never really happy with them. I felt like they were good in the rain, but that was about it. They wore quickly. I replaced those with Hankook Ventus and was much happier. They were just as good in the rain, they gripped better dry, and they are lasting longer. I'm right around 50,000 on them now and don't plan on changing them. Now my GS is terrible in the snow, but I'd say both tires performed equal. Hope this helps. Post back what you end up going with and what your thoughts are on them

So you didn't specifically have the H/L 422 Ecopia (this tire has only been out for about 2 years.)? There is a big difference in construction between these and the Bridgestone H/L Alenza.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 304,000 on my 2002 RX. Couldn't wait to replace the OEM tires. Went with Firestone Destination LE. Check out info on TireRack.com. On my 3rd set. Over 100k on each of the first two sets (lots of hwy miles of course). Excellent rain tires as well.

I have a 2001 rx with 187000 miles. It came with Bridgestones HL and they got changed out around 40thousand miles, no performance issues only wear. Replaced with a new set and got the same life. Went with a third set and all heck broke loose! Wore horrible! Cupped so bad Bridgestone replaced them after 4500 miles!The new set wore better, 35000 miles, but not as good as the first two. Went to a Firestone dealer who looked at the tires, found issues and replaced them with Destinations. Great tire, ran for 60000 and replaced them with the same. They do very good in weather, snow or rain. Not much noise and ride pretty smooth.

• 3 months later...