Replacing Timing Belt On My 1995 Sc400

I own a 1995 Sc400 with 50,000 Kms on it (31,000 miles). It's my collector car, and not driven much. When should I worry about replacing the timing belt? Does the belt deteriorate without much use?

K28 Marina

Tom, anything made of rubber will deteriorate with time. If the car is garaged full time this slows down the process, but the belt can still get hard and crack. If the belt has never been changed and you plan on keeping the car I would get it replaced. If it breaks, replacing heads, valves and pistons is definitely more costly. My .02

• 1 month later...

Yea... Man.. I hate to be the one to tell you this but you're totally screwed. All your internal rubber gaskets and seals are dry-rotted. Also, when you don't run a car a lot, all of the lines get sludged-up. Not a good situation to be in. Plus the whole asthetic appeal of the SC has long since faded. No future collector value really. Tell ya what. I'll go ahead and take it off your hands for $2000. :)))))))