Just Bought An Orbital Polisher/buffer

hey guys,

i just bought a orbital polisher/ buffer. this weekend or next i'm am going to go through the entire claying, polishing, waxing method.

1)wash

2)clay

3) and then the 3 step waxing process

my question is what pads would you reccomend i use on the 3 step waxing program?? ie....applying 1,2,3 and buffing off the wax 1,2,3

shes going to be more beautiful then she already is after this one. lol

thanks 99,

its gonna take some time, but man she's gonna look good

i'll give you full details, and hopefully i'll post some pics if i figure out how. the only way i know is to post them in gallery <_<

Go to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS FORUM...

I just put a post on VBdenny's XBOX thread to explain the photo gig :D

OH YEAH....BEFORE and AFTER PHOTOS :lol::lol:

SWEET! gotcha..nice instructions, i was always wandering how to do that.

i have a digital camera, and love to use it, now i can post pics!!

i guess on the pads question i'll have to wait until sw03es, takes a look.

he's our pro on the detailing side.

i need him to give me advice on the buffing compound too, i have some light scratches i would love to never see again :angry:

i guess on the pads question i'll have to wait until sw03es, takes a look.

he's our pro on the detailing side.

i need him to give me advice on the buffing compound too, i have some light scratches i would love to never see again :angry:

I'll be watching..... :D I've got a few light ones that bug me too :angry:

Swo will guide you oh great one..... :lol:

My ears are burning :D

What kind of buffer did you buy? That will dictate what types of pads to use and give you realistic expectations of results.

If its a PC, or it uses velcro pads then You'll need probably two cutting pads, a polishing pad and a finishing pad. The cutting pad will be used when you are applying compounds, the polishing for polishing, and the finishing for applying waxes and sealants. You want to start with the strongest step, so it would be compound, polish, wax. Removing each before the next step.

SWo3es,

it is a 10" craftsman polisher/ buffer, i plugged it in and it seems to have sufficient power.

it does not have velcro on the pad, it is kinda just like a foam pad, and then the bonnets fit snug over the pad.

what kind of buffing compound do i need with the cutting pad?? is it the softer white bar?

any more of your pro tips would be greatly appreciated. i just want to do it right ya know :)

thanks sw03os

Basically a orbital is a higher speed reproduction of a normal hand movement so a soft pad of terry cloth is needed.Make sure you get a mouth gueard as it will start to rattle your teeth after a the first step.

I prefer to add the wax by hand as it doesn;t need a buffer to apply or remove. If you have lots of time apply the wax with your hand .It takes a long time and your hand will cramp but it gets really smooth and nice after and the heat from your hand smooths it out more evenly and uses alot less than a cloth does to apply.BUt i am a bit crazy . I am usuing the same app style as tehy do for the zymol concours wax which comes in a refillable crystal jar for $2000.

You'll probably want to use terry bonnets with that for swirl removing and polishing, and wax by hand. You should be able to get good results with that but not as good as with something like a PC where you can use foam pads.

As for buffing compound, you dont want to use anything that comes in a bar. Just use a good swirl remover, we sell Menzerna and 1Z polishes here which are both excellent.

ok, thanks for the advice.

but i'm a little confused. i've heard that you need a orbital polisher for the best finish and such, so i bought one to maximize shine and finish, but now i'm hearing apply and remove by hand :unsure:

so my question is where does the machine actually come into play

p.s. it does have a foam circular, is that what you mean. when reffering too a PC

thanks guys sorry if i seem a little bit hard of understanding, i just want to do it right.

The PC is the Porter Cable Dual Action polisher. Its really the most effective tool out there short of a real rotary polisher.

Here's a link: http://www.lexuscarcare.com/pc-7424-kit.html

You'll want to apply and work in compounds and polishes with the buffer, but with that buffer you're going to want to remove products and apply wax by hand. All orbital polishers aren't created equal, most of the bonnet type jobs really aren't as versitile as something like the PC or a rotary buffer, but they're better than hand.

I have one of those buffer machines. It has pads that attach around the disc. I guess it's okay but I still usually wax on wax off by hand. The wax I use comes off so easily anyway that I really don't need it. And I am not even considering changing waxes, I gave all my Maguires Gold Classic and everything else away since I knew I'd never need it again.

I have one of those buffer machines. It has pads that attach around the disc. I guess it's okay but I still usually wax on wax off by hand. The wax I use comes off so easily anyway that I really don't need it. And I am not even considering changing waxes, I gave all my Maguires Gold Classic and everything else away since I knew I'd never need it again.

Denny,

For xmas, I got a bunch of "detailing" supplies from my nephews (very nice of them - I really appreciated their thoughts) - they know how "crazy" I am about the Lexus! I kept what I needed and gave the wax away too :lol:

Collinite rocks....

yeah it does. NOTHING but Collinite goes on ANY of my vehicles. I also use it on my skiis, toolbox, shower, and anything else I can wax. I guess I just love how the paint feels and how easy it is to keep the car clean. I think I'm going to order another case of #846 Insulator wax., as I prefer liquids instead of pastes.

VB- You need to try a PC, its not like an ordinary junky Wal mart buffer, its an excellent tool that is really essential if you have to remove defects from the paint. I do everything with the PC now, INCLUDING applying paste waxes because it just saves so much work. Its an excellent and essential tool unless your paint is in perfect condition.

I agree the Collinite is great stuff, but there are plenty of other great products out there that will last just as long if not longer. Collinite is definately the longest lasting carnuaba wax, but synthetic polymers like Zaino do tend to last longer, although the shine can be called "sterile".

I've been experimenting with a few and will continue to as the weather gets better...

SWO Porter Cable stuff is the best. I have a couple PC tools and I know the buffer. No doubt that it works great.

I'm not sure that Collinite is carnuba or not. I've used about everything made and I'll stick with the C for now.

How much is the PC buffer?

Collinite is definately a carnuaba.

We sell the PC buffer for $199 but that includes the backing plate, a cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. I've seen the PC as low as $130, but then you have to buy a $20 backing plate and the three $15 pads so its a decent deal, one stop shopping.