Accuracy Of Average Mpg Display

natey2

How accurate is it? On my 2005 LS430, it indicated 5mpg higher than what I calculated. I use an app (aCar) on my phone to log odometer readings and gas purchase quantities to compute mpg.

My bad. There is a "tank average", and another "average". The latter was what I used, and has to be reset before it will give meaningful info.

The correct mpg is within 1mpg of what my mobile app reports.

I should have realized the need to manually reset that and the other mph reading, especially since the average speed seemed to be locked at 28mph.

Glad that it knows to automatically reset the Range, tank average, etc. when you refill gas.

After 187 miles, Tank Avg reads 15.9mpg, my computed value is 15.6mpg.

Close enough.

I reset the other "Average" mpg reading right after I re-fuelled today. I'll report the deviation of that Average from the Tank Average in about 200 miles. Stay tuned...

The mpg calculator in my Corvette is very accurate. I've since learned how it is measured. Apparently it is quite simple - injector dwell time ( time it is open ) gives fuel consumption instantaneously and then road speed is determined from the speedo signal ( usually in the differential ). Those two inputs are enough. Looking at the display in real time the merest movement of the throttle changes it dramatically. Then the average is calculated for that measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...just filled up and checked my mileage. I calculated 22.4 MPG. The on-board computer shows the average and tank average both at 22.9 MPG. Seeing that I could have overfilled it by a couple pints'o'petrol, the computer is pretty close.