bswtwa

Lexus Rx300- Phantom Battery Drain

Hello,

Electrical problem with my 1999 Lexus RX300.

About 4 months ago the battery started going dead within 48 hours of non-use. I had the battery recharged and again...the car went dead. I had it replaced. Same thing. No matter what I tried the problem persisted.

Since then I have had three different mechanics test every electrical system and circuit. All fuses were fine and nothing showed up on the diagnostic meter. I changed the Body Control Module. Still no luck. Finally I purchased a Jump-and-carry.

Please give me any suggestions or insight. I am willing to try anything at this point.

Edited by bswtwa

I finally found the problem with the electrical system which was draining the battery in my 99 Lexus RX300. It came down to faulty wiring to the back dome light. I removed the burned-out bulb and the problem stopped. When I put a fresh bulb in, the light worked but the battery started draining again. I will have the fixture replaced and see if the problem persists.

I hope this information helps someone else. Please reply to this posting if it does.

Bswtwa,

Glad you were able to track down the source of your problem. That's pretty good work!

In the future, you'll find you will problably get more feedback and response by placing your post in the right Forum. In your case that would be the RX forum, somewhat lower down the forum page.

Paul

Was it the dome fixture i need help my rx300 1999 is doing the exact same thing

Hi there!

The problem never really got fixed.  I think it is the door locking mechanism because my key fob stopped working around the same time.  Or it could be a problem with the electrical system that controls the dome lights.  

Here is the method I used to control the problem:

1. I removed all the bulbs from the dome lights and the door bases.

2. I always lock my car.  Even if it is in the garage.  (In the garage I keep my driver's side window open and toss the keys in the front seat). I always open your car door using my key, never the interior button.  That will set off the alarm.

3. I invested in a really good Jump-and-Carry hand held battery jumper and keep it charged in my garage.  If I forget to lock my doors and the battery runs dead, I can hook it up start the car with no problem.  Then I toss it in the back seat just to make sure I don't get stranded at the mall.

Please follow up if you figure out  how to permanently solve this problem.  I would really like to get it fixed.  If you decide to have your door locking mechanism changed let me know if it worked.  

Miss Bret

Please can someone help me I have a 2006 Rx330 and the battery keeps draining overnight. I changed the battery but it kept happening. I called a mechanic with a scanner he told me is the Oxygen sensor. is that true ?