2010 Is350C Convertible Roof Stuck Down

Greetings everyone. Long-time lurker, first post.

I'm curious about any other folks who have had problems with the IS-C model, specifically with the top. I've searched the internets for the specific issue I am having, and it's coming up empty (only post I found on another site was a person with the top stuck UP).

Backup a few days, I was driving home with the wife and decided to put the top down since we were having a rare break in the rain here in the good 'ol Pacific NW... After we got chilly, pulled over to put the top up, and get "OP Suspended" during the operation. The trunk lid panel was lifted, but the actual roof was still embedded in the trunkspace. Nothing made it work, and there is NO manual option that I am aware of since the system is all done with the rocker switch in the car. To top it off, the side windows are stuck down as well since the roof operation is not completed. The trunk is locked out too.

Anyone with the IS-C knows there is a movable panel in the trunk which needs to be in place for the convertible to operate. There are sensors that detect the panel, and I'm assuming sensors detect if anything is placed in the way. We have a couple items in the trunk, but they are in the very back in front of the panel. I suppose it's possible something dislodged during driving the car, or rolled around in the trunk - but that kind of thing should be figured out during the design of such a car I would think.

Options at this point were basically:

1. call a tow truck through the lexus roadside assistance, in the meantime sit in the cold and possible rain

2. risk driving the car home and make service appt if we didn't freeze to death on the way

Well I decided to drive the car home after assuming a tow truck driver would not want anything to do with the situation (later found out this is CORRECT!). The trunk mechanism which was still lifted was movable with little force, so I simply pushed the lid down so it would not catch in the wind. The panel does not latch, but it is too heavy to move around, possibly unless driven at insane speeds. The dashboard was freaking out and very upset about being driven like this. So we just drove it easy...

Made it home...fast forward to the call to the dealer. Asked them if I should try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, they agreed. I started the car after doing this and the engine ran for about 2 seconds and died. Started the car again, this time it stayed running, but the issue was not fixed. Now they recommend having a tow truck come out to the house... Sure enough, the driver gets there and was not willing to have a broken convertible top on his flatbed. I agree and would not want the liability either. Trying to tarp it or anything like that is absurd and would probably damage paint, etc.. The car would need an enclosed trailer-tow.

So, tomorrow I'm going to kamikazee this thing to the dealership since the weather looks dry. Stay tuned :wacko:

-Dan

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Did anyone figure out how to remedy? Seems we're having the exact same situation. IS350c, top stuck in "down/open" position. there's no way to manually get in the trunk to see if the panel has shifted. Thoughts? 

Edited by shanpie