Paint Peeling And Chipping

BruceBryant

I also own a white 2008 Lexus GX 470 that has paint chipping on two sides of the car. Has anyone had luck with Lexus addressing the issue? It seems so many people have had chipping on the white GX 470. 

• Like 1

No luck on my end to date. I have started taking pictures of other white GX470s for a photo campaign. I am amazed at the number of white GX 470 vehicles that I've found with paint peeling problems. It's quite evident from my observations that Lexus has a plethora of unhappy owners who are experiencing the same issue. The fight continues. 

• 1 year later...

I also own a pearl white 2008 Lexus GX 470 that has paint chipping on the Rt side and starting to the Lt side a bit of the car. It seems so many people have had chipping on the pearl white GX 470. I’ve noticed it with our neighbor with their Blue GX 470 too. I went to the body shop today have it painted but, like everybody else is saying here that  it’s a manufacturing defect and it should be directed to Lexus, otherwise I’ll be paying 8-10K to have it done. Has anyone had luck with Lexus addressing the issue? 

•  

• 1 month later...

I have a 2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV also.  The paint is coming off everywhere.  Lexus refuses to do anything to correct it.  We all say the same thing - we love the expensive car and want to drive it forever but it is embarrassing to drive.  Years ago I posted signs all over a vehicle I had that was a lemon.  The Ford Dealership got it fixed immediately when they saw it.  

Lexus does not care because the rich buys a new one every 1 - 2 years so they will always be selling. 

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE JUST BECAUSE OF THE CHEAP PAINT JOB!!!!

Lexus continues in their refusal to acknowledge and correct the defective paint on my GX 470.  I’ve been told by the Lexus rep that they have not received enough complaints about this problem to issue a recall.  They said if I wanted to pursue the matter, I must file an arbitrationmer.  Thus, Lexus is not in a hurry to correct their mistake. In the past, I’ve purchased three brand new Lexus vehicles. Based upon this latest experience, I will not purchase another. Even the Lexus dealership where I made my purchases, Tom Harvey Lexus in Bossier City, LA, refused to rectify the problem despite their own body shop saying it was a problem with defective paint. My money will go elsewhere.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2019 at 11:05 PM, JBruce said:

Lexus continues in their refusal to acknowledge and correct the defective paint on my GX 470.  I’ve been told by the Lexus rep that they have not received enough complaints about this problem to issue a recall.  They said if I wanted to pursue the matter, I must file an arbitrationmer.  Thus, Lexus is not in a hurry to correct their mistake. In the past, I’ve purchased three brand new Lexus vehicles. Based upon this latest experience, I will not purchase another. Even the Lexus dealership where I made my purchases, Tom Harvey Lexus in Bossier City, LA, refused to rectify the problem despite their own body shop saying it was a problem with defective paint. My money will go elsewhere.  

I was told the same thing and I contacted them via Twitter. The 08 and 09 did have issues with the pearl white and they've addressed it because, like you mentioned, there were numerous calls.  I told Lexus that a certified Lexus auto body shop and an insurance adjuster both stated it was not normal and that each vehicle should be uniquely addressed.  Mine is on the roof and I can't tell you the last time I looked at my roof, I can't even see it (too short lol).  They also stated that the service department at the dealership never mentioned it, well they don't inspect the roof. 

If you have an 2004 Lexus GX470 and the paint is peeling, please take the time to call Lexus and submit a request for a goodwill claim.  I would also use social media to convey this issue to other owners.  I'm very disappointed with Lexus and if they don't resolve this, I certainly would not buy from them again. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, Carlos woods said:

I recieved a letter from lexus 3 weeks ago stating they would rectify the problem 

What are the steps to rectify the issue? I have a 2007 GX470 and the paint is in horrible condition. It’s flaked off in huge chips down to the metal. A few touch-ups were done by the dealer in Charleston, but nothing beyond that. Thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...

I, as many of you, have had no response from Lexus or Toyota regarding the peeling paint on my pearl white 2008 Lexus GX470.  I complained to both Toyota and Lexus and given poor reasons, such as I must have been parked in the sun too long.  When I take my car to the car wash the paint flies off of the roof, looking like stripes.  When I purchased my car from Lexus of New Orleans, new in 2008, I took it back the next day because there was a chip on the front.  They said that a rock must have done it driving home from the dealership.  There is paint that has come off all over my car and I am embarrassed to drive it, but since I bought it new, thought it might be the last car I bought.  I emailed Toyota with my complaints and they said my VIN # was not on any recall list for "safety" issues therefore they could not do anything about it.  They had someone from Lexus contact me and said the same thing.  I had taken my Lexus to the dealership where I bought it, they took pictures and said they would cover it.  Said they would contact me within 2 weeks.  I never heard back, so I called and they didn't return my call.  I called back and left another message and received a call back from "Spam Alert" on my caller ID, so I didn't answer.  He obviously did not want to talk to me person to person and he left a message saying same excuse regarding my VIN # not being on any list.   How can I join a "class action" suit or do some sort of arbitration to get something done?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm at the point of parking my car in front of Lexus of New Orleans with signs posted all over it in hopes to get them to respond to my problem.  I will never buy another Lexus or Toyota.  I am 70 years old and have purchased many cars throughout my life and I have never had a car have this issue.  Again, any help from the forum would be helpful. 

• 4 months later...

I have a 2007 GX470 with only 75K miles.  My Blizzard Pearl paint is completely peeling on the roof and at base of all side windows.  I have spoken to Lexus a couple of times and they keep telling me the repair does not apply to a 2007 - only 2008 or newer.  I am a loyal Lexus buyer but am very disappointed in the lack of response.  This is my 3rd GX and 4th Lexus.  I am embarrassed with my cars paint condition.  Has anyone had any luck with Lexus repairing the issue?  I too am interested in any kind of class action suit.  I live in NC, bought the car from Lexus dealer in NY.  Which by the way, never informed me of the dash recall despite me complaining about it.  So I doubt they will contact re paint issue.  If anyone has had any luck or advise, I greatly appreciate it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any luck?  It is 2023 and this thread is now roughly 8 years old and my 2005 Blizzard Pearl is peeling badly on the roof especially.  I'd say 1/3 of the roof is peeled off.