2013 Es Tire Problem

pj8708

My 2013 ES arrived with Bridgestone tires from the factory. I've always ran on Michelen Primacy MX4 because of the smooth ride and quietness.

I arranged with the dealer to swap the tires for free, and so far I've only put 1,600 miles on them.

The problem is the car does not ride as smooth as I remember my 2010, and you feel all the small bumps. The cabin seems to be about as quiet as a ES Lexus should be.

My question, has anyone else experienced this rougher rider with the 2013 or is it the tires. I leave the tire pressure screen on most days to see if there is a variance in pressure.

I'm having a hard time believing that the tires are the problem, because for the past several years the Michelin Primacy has been the most popular tire for the ES.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Mayby your tire-pressure advice is to high for the way you use the car.

I kept my self busy with that and found out a lot about it and more about tires.

Bridgestone had troubles in the past on the Ford- Explorer and mayby now is keeping extra high pressures.

To get a more balanced answer I need to know the exact sises of the tires and the maximum load and type of tires of the Michelins and bridgestone.

Read it from the sidewall like this " 235/50 ZR 19 92 W XL

Then The 92 means loadindex 92 can look it up in a list to get the maximum load.

W means speedcode up to 270km/??m/h and XL means extraload/reinforced.

The last if you dont see it its a normal car tire called P-tire in America.

From the car the GAWR's ( gross axle weight rating) and GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating).

and if you have it empty weight and the built ( motor in front fronwheeldrive for the estimation of the load division) and how you mostly load it ( persons and load).

If I have all that , I can give you the lowest pressure at wich the tires are save, and with the most comfort and gripp. Lower gives even more comfort and gripp but at a sertain moment your tires blow and you have an accident with damage and mayby injuries.

The 2013 ES is a very different animal that the 2012-down and is based on the Toyota Avalon platform instead of the Camry platform. From what I've read about the 2013 Avalon, the goal was to make it more of a "driver's car" than the previous model was. My wife and I test drove a 2013 Avalon Hybrid last week and it was actually fun to drive - and very fast ... maybe not "blazing speed" but its published 0-60 time is substantially quicker than my first LS400.

Tire pressures change plus or minus about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temperature change. You'll experience a stiffer ride on warm days and a softer ride on cold ones.

Thanks everyone. Based on all your input, I've asked some people I know and the Master Mechanic at Lexus. All said the same thing.. The 13' ride is tuned for more quicker handling and is not as smooth as previous ES editions. I'm running 32-33 pounds now but as you suggested I'll do some manufacturer research.

I wish I had driven the 13' over a weekend but my 2010 was totaled, and to get what I wanted I had to order it from the factory.

I've heard a few similar things, my test drives of the 2013 ES left me with the impression that the two rode very similarly, but more than a few people have voiced concerns similar to yours.

Do you have the 17s? I'd reduce the pressure down to 30.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of this is about tire pressure. For most family sedan include previous ES, the tire pressure is 30 psi. Now Lexus increases it to 33 which will improve the performance and mpg but it'll hurt riding a bit. If you really miss the previous ES ride, make them back to 30.

I believe the tire pressures are at 32 strictly for gas mileage improvment. Lowering to 30 psi will help the ride, but, cost more $$ in gas mileage. Feeling the road a little bit is welcome for me having come from an Acura TL - I barely feel the road in the RX.

Thanks everyone. Based on all your input, I've asked some people I know and the Master Mechanic at Lexus. All said the same thing.. The 13' ride is tuned for more quicker handling and is not as smooth as previous ES editions. I'm running 32-33 pounds now but as you suggested I'll do some manufacturer research.

I wish I had driven the 13' over a weekend but my 2010 was totaled, and to get what I wanted I had to order it from the factory.

I know it is too late for you, but the January 2013 issue of CR has an interesting review of the 2013 ES 350/ES 300h and it confirms your suspicions. Interestingly, the 2013 ES350 is apparently the same platform than the Camry and the same powertrain than the Avalon.

The December 2012 issue of CR has an evaluation of the 2013 GS. All in all, it seems the new generation of the ES is less comfy than the previous gen., while the new GS is a major improvement over the previous generation.

Hope it helps someone.

Riding and performance is always against each other in a cerntain price range. Es350 is moving towards performance side in this generation to attract younger buyer. On a smooth road, you won't feel any difference, however, when road gets bumppy, you can tell the result from higher tire pressure and tighten suspession. I like this generation from inside and out, sure, the performance improvement is what I like the most.

Riding and performance is always against each other in a cerntain price range. Es350 is moving towards performance side in this generation to attract younger buyer. On a smooth road, you won't feel any difference, however, when road gets bumppy, you can tell the result from higher tire pressure and tighten suspession. I like this generation from inside and out, sure, the performance improvement is what I like the most.

America is a very important market for Lexus. The median age is 37.1 and 1 in 4 Americans is over the age of 55.

Attracting younger buyers at the expense of older buyers is a no-win situation.

The LS460 is still rated as comfy as the previous generation in spite of the so-called improvements.

One way or the other, I still love Lexus and I intend on keep purchasing them. Comfort and quietness are my main priorities. So my next car will either be a ES 350 MY2012, a GS 350 MY > 2012, or a LS 460 any MY after 2009.

• 4 weeks later...

New to this site. We had a 2003 Toyota Avalon bought new. Never wanted to get rid of it because of one thing, Best ride we ever had. But time marches on so we bought a Red 2013 ES 350 in Florida, and returned to Michigan with it. Doing some homework we were aware that the ride would be more "sporty". Every car site we visited said that the Avalon and ES 350 would not be your "Grandmothers" car. Nice touch. Well, they are right if sporty means uncomfortable, noisy and vibrates. Part of the problem is as most say here, are the Bridgestone tires. I know this from my past experience, after I wore out my Michelins on my 2003 Avalon

we were talked into another brand from the dealer. Right out the dealers, we knew we made a mistake, same story as now road noise. After they wore out we went back to the Michelins and all was good till now. Another reason is this car is so much lower to the road thus the road noise. Now what do? I have 2000 miles on these tires. I will get used to the ride but not on long hauls.

Another issue is the curved seats they pinch you in and are uncomfortable. Im sure once I wear them in they will be ok. I have a few other issues but Ill post on those topics . Now there is good news. I love the looks, steering, MPG, color and transmission in sports mod for the corners. I would still buy this car but not in Florida. Next car will be a HB.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same ride quality issues, then I realized that the demo car I took out had Michelen tires and was a smooth ride, when I took delivery of the car and drove home from the dealer I noticed that the ride was harsher so I took a look and now noticed I had Bridgestone's. I went back to the dealer and after a couple of test drives with tech I was able to swap out for Michelens and it made a difference. I hope this helps.

P.S. I beleive the article in CR pointed out the differnce in tires when they did a review of the ES or GS.

• 2 months later...

Do you have the 18" wheels on your ES350? About half of them come with 18" and about half come with 17". Your 2010 would have had 17 " wheels which in turn means more rubber between you and the road.

In my first post about this topic I talked about the very same thing. Taking delivery of my 2013 ES350 with Bridgstones and after a few drives trading them with the dealer for Michlen Primacy's.

It's been six months since then and I love the ride. It is as good as my 2010 ES was. And the increased handling is just icing on the cake!

Paul

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The new ES is Avalon based. Did you take a test drive(s) and read any reviews before buying? Most reviews have pointed out the difference in ride vs. previous generations.

I feel your pain, and know that's it's a big cost, but there are way to avoid the BIG disappointments.

• 8 months later...

New to this site. We had a 2003 Toyota Avalon bought new. Never wanted to get rid of it because of one thing, Best ride we ever had. But time marches on so we bought a Red 2013 ES 350 in Florida, and returned to Michigan with it. Doing some homework we were aware that the ride would be more "sporty". Every car site we visited said that the Avalon and ES 350 would not be your "Grandmothers" car. Nice touch. Well, they are right if sporty means uncomfortable, noisy and vibrates. Part of the problem is as most say here, are the Bridgestone tires. I know this from my past experience, after I wore out my Michelins on my 2003 Avalon

we were talked into another brand from the dealer. Right out the dealers, we knew we made a mistake, same story as now road noise. After they wore out we went back to the Michelins and all was good till now. Another reason is this car is so much lower to the road thus the road noise. Now what do? I have 2000 miles on these tires. I will get used to the ride but not on long hauls.

Another issue is the curved seats they pinch you in and are uncomfortable. Im sure once I wear them in they will be ok. I have a few other issues but Ill post on those topics . Now there is good news. I love the looks, steering, MPG, color and transmission in sports mod for the corners. I would still buy this car but not in Florida. Next car will be a HB.

Up date lost a back tire, sidewall damage. So had a choice replace 2 or 4 at 27,000 miles so I did. 4 new Michelins replaced the Bridgestone. Still hate the seats do not go back far enough when you shut the car off. But love everything else