My Magnaflow Exhaust

Hey Guys,

Been promising some pics of my new exhaust setup but haven't had the time to take the pics.

Yesterday was a beautiful day, so I decided to make the time and snap off a few pictures.

If anyone cares, the mufflers are MagnaFlow part # 14829.

I had the resonators cut off and replaced by straight pipes.

Money Shot

Side View

Piping

Couple more random pics.

Before going this route, I was seriously considering the Borlas.

Then I heard from a few people that MagnaFlows made a pretty nice sound especially when the resonators are removed.

I got a great deal on the Mags so I went for it.

The sound is beautiful.

I was afraid it would sound a bit ricey, but it doesn't.

At idle, can't even tell it's modded.

At an unchanging RPM, there's a slight hint that somethings different.

It's when the RPM is quickly increasing or decreasing that it ROARS.

Lemme know what you guys think of the look.

Exhaust shop in the Bay Area: ExhaustWorks in Belmont

sounds good?

It sounds awesome!

I'll try to get some sound clips......dunno how but I'll try.

Here's a sound clip of a 93 SC300 with the same mufflers and I think he also cut the resonators.

In my opinion, my car isn't quite as loud.

2 thing that could be the reason:

1) He replaced all his piping from the cat back with 2.5"

2) His mufflers have been on for a while and have been properly broken in. Mine are less than a week old.

SPORT, I think your exhaust will get louder than it is. Mufflers definitely have a break in period where they will begin to get louder. And the sound will change through the RPM band. Personally, if your exhaust sounds anything remotely like that, definitely a good purchase. That has that "I will eat your soul" 2J growl. Now all it needs is WHoooooooopsh behind it ;)

SPORT, I think your exhaust will get louder than it is. Mufflers definitely have a break in period where they will begin to get louder. And the sound will change through the RPM band.

Personally, if your exhaust sounds anything remotely like that, definitely a good purchase. That has that "I will eat your soul" 2J growl.

Now all it needs is WHoooooooopsh behind it ;)

I've been told that the Magnas break in over a period of about 6 months.

It sounds beautiful now and it will only get deeper and a tad louder.

When the car was first fired up at the shop after install, I was a little disappointed because it sounded very close to stock but I remended myself of the 6-month period.

It's only been less than a week and it already sounds great.

It was definitely one of the best purchases I've made.

I don't think I could be happier with the set-up.

Couldn't agree with you more.

If only that "Whoooopsh" didn't have a $5000 + few weeks downtime associated with it.:wacko:

Some day....

What was the price for each muffler and what did you remove from your exhaust system other than replacing the mufflers.

Did you adapt the DynaFlows to use the existing hangers and did you bolt them on as the originals or did you weld them in.

Thanks,

What was the price for each muffler and what did you remove from your exhaust system other than replacing the mufflers.

Did you adapt the DynaFlows to use the existing hangers and did you bolt them on as the originals or did you weld them in.

Thanks,

As mentioned above, I replaced the resonators (cans closest to the mufflers) with straight pipes.

I had the shop weld on some hangers onto my MagnaFlows and hung them using the original mounts.

As for price, some good news.

The seller I bought from has stocked 2 more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2466799889

Nowhere else have I seen a pair of these go for under $250 and the shipping is free.

Good luck.

Bubbles: UPS says that the whole package (each muffler was in it's own box) weighed 31 lbs but the mufflers seemed much lighter.

Just the replacement of the resonators with straight pipes saves a good 10 lbs and costs no more than $50.

It also lets the exhaust flow a bit more freely.

I recommend taking off the resonators even to people who aren't going to do anything to the mufflers.

Dude i am getting the same muffler with the 3 inch inelt 4 inch long and wide tip fro 165 shipped....250 seems pricey. The belwo is a list of my cost so far for anybody with an sc400

2- Magnaflow 14somenumber $165

1- 3 Inch x pipe $30

2- 3" Highflow cats $65

headers back 3" stainless steal madrel bent pipe and mount $375

I should note i still like the way your exhaust looks SPORtcoupe300

hm...all this talk about mufflers is geting me hyped up about it. does anyone know which muffler out there will make a sc400 sound super mean and agressive but not hella loud and annoying?

lexual, where did you buy yours? i dont know much about exhausts, what do you mean by 3 inch inlet? thanks.

I ordered mine from a magnaflow wholesaler...3 inch inlet is the size pipe going into the back of the muffler. The stock sc400 has a 2.25 inch pipe run for the exausht but I am running all new 3 inch pipe from my headers back (After i pay taxes now i owe the stupid governement money) so i needed the back of the muffler to be able to take a 3 inch pipe. Hope that helps

i see.. i heard if you have a too wide of a pipe, you can loose power. what is the name of the wholesaler? 165 is very cheap and i'm very interested, dont mind if i totally bite off you, except the 3'' pipe.

$165 for a pair does sound like a gread deal.

Got mine for $200 and am happy because I've heard of people paying $250+

I decided not to change the piping because I'm convinced that with the cut resonators and the straight-through mufflers, most of the backpressure in the exhaust is now caused by the cats.

I don't want to touch the cats because I'm in California, where emissions laws are extremely strict.

I love the way it sounds now and feel no need to change anything.

I also noticed that it's been slowly getting louder over the past few days.

BlackSC4 - that is true. you will lose power in a N/A car if you make it too wide as it will reduce back pressure greatly not allowing for some torque to effectly run down to your wheels. On a turbo car the wider the better for flow but a N/A it's best to have some backpressure.

I'd say work your way out bigger from the outlet or get some extractors then install any exhaust you want.

But the pics of the zorst look sweet =)

On a NA you will loose torque with loss of back pressure. And a turbo back should be properly sized based on displacement and such. I would be hisitant to run a 3inch exhaust on a 3.0 liter personally. Most likely a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4, of course I am a Torque Pimp personally, and I feel violated if I loose torque to make horsepower! hehe. But this is all pretty much personal opinion and how I like my vehicles to drive. I run 2 1/2 on my RS-T (2.5l) and it pulls so hard it makes your teeth hurt.