Side-View Mirror: Need To Lubricate?

natey2

I have auto-folding side-view mirrors in my 2005 LS430. The motors sound like they may be struggling, but that may be normal. Wish there were other LS430s I could check out.

Do these motors need to be lubricated? WD-40?

No lube required (and certainly NOT WD40!). Mine make noise which may sound like they are struggling but they are a little on the flea-powered side. Its all small motors and plastic gears anyway. I would advise using the folding mirrors only when you need to...like if going thru a car wash or pulling out of the garage or tight space where they need to be tucked in. But I don't allow them to auto-fold when I remove the key. Just too much wear and tear, imo.

I don't know if you can really get underneath to lubricate the mechanism but the plastic pads underneath the motors do get really dirty. Sometimes when they get wet the motors will jam. I've taken to using either Sonus or lithium grease to periodically clean out and possibly lubricate the works down there. I've had the motors jam a couple times and have always been able to bring them back into service that way.

The mirror glass pops out by rotating upward the bottom edge. It's a plastic snap fit so I have been too nervous to force it for fear the snaps will break instead of popping out. Then a well intended maintenance becomes a $1000 Lexus headache...

I subscribe to the view, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

I would advise using the folding mirrors only when you need to...like if going thru a car wash or pulling out of the garage or tight space where they need to be tucked in.

I gotta use them daily. Absolutely minimal parking space in my garage:

post-136523-0-28423500-1362239679_thumb.