2006 Ls430 Proximity Keys

LMS Teacher

Wife's 06 LS430 clicked as she tried to start it. She tried again and it started right up. Suspected the battery, but it was replaced in 2010. Her proximity key battery is the original one, so she took mine and had not more problems.

Am I just lucky or is there still a gremlin hiding under there to bite her when she comes out to start it at night? Will the key, which she keeps in her purse, make the engine appear like she has a dead battery? And then work fine.

If the 'no start' was a series of rapid clicks then your car battery is either on the way out or there is a poor connection in the post to cable clamps. It is not unusual to have a battery only last 2-3 yrs. Have the battery checked out and clean the connectors to be sure. If the key battery were low, you probably would not be able to unlock the doors or even get a click.

She took her "key" to the dealer and had a new battery installed. Last two days no more issues, but she had my proximity key and now her key with new battery. Not one problem. Battery cables are absolutely clean, water in battery is good, and when it turns over, it is fast. So my thinking it was the switch not sending the right signal or enough of a signal to the car to tell it to start, yet enough to unlock the ingnition switch. I will keep you posted.

Well it's been about a week since the battery in the proximity key was replaced, and that appears to have been the problem. So chalk it up to blind luck, but I wonder how many car batteries have been replaced by dealers for big bucks, and them knowing to also replace the battery in the proximity key but not include the $5 key battery on the service sheet. I would have been none the wiser.

You can buy 5 branded CR2025 batteries for under $2 on Amazon. Avoid the unheard of brands.

Could have been worse. You could have taken it to Sears and have them tell you that you really need a new Alternator. Lol!