Intake...

The difference between a cold air intake and just a regular intake is location.

Cold Air Intakes sucks air near the bottom of the car where the air is thicker and colder.

Regular intakes just suck the air near the block, an OEM location.

As for your other intake options, I would suggest you visit the Performance Parts and FAQ thread, pinned in this forum.

A cold air intake moves the filter element farther away from the engine, than a "regular" intake will. Ususally Cold Air Intake's put the Filter very close to the bumper, in the stream of cold air. Other than that, nothing. Just a longer pipe.

Cold Air Intake (CAI) is better but there isn't one offered for our cars (yet).

Only intake we can readily get is the Injen and that's a short Ram Intake.

I'm planning to make my own cold air intake following the instructions found here.

As for the strut bar, I bought a used one off eBay for $30 (Here's a pic.)

You can get the one on ProCarParts.com ($80)

Hope that helps.

Luck to you.

ive thought about the BFI mod but i dont want to do it because if i plan on selling this car i dont want to have "mickey mouse" mods in it. is there any other intake solutions besides INJEN? and how does it actually lose torque/hp?

I'm planning to make my own cold air intake following the instructions found here.

Hint Hint.

If you're actually too lazy to click the "here" above than I won't try to talk you into it because this is a do-it-yourself type thing.

If you know what you're doing, this would come out looking really nice and would definitely yield some results.

Other than the Injen, you're going to have to fab some sort of open air filter onto your MAS. And personally that will look far worse than the BFI. You could always go with a K&N drop filter. If was looking to buy a new SC, and saw that someone did a good job on the BFI, I would be more inclined to buy it, because of the simple fact that they put the time and effort into doing a quality job on the intake.

Fact of the matter is, an Intake isn't going to add hardly any performance, and if you're going to sell the car, I would just put a K&N drop filter in. That will give you the most performance, without having to do any work. There is no point buying an Injen, or fabbing some sort of intake on the car if you are going to sell it. To the normal buyer you having an intake on the car means you beat on it, and that will most likely push them away. Once you modify the car, you cut your market interest down by quite a bit. Especially if it has a chrome pipe, or some fabricated open filter on the end of it. The BFI actually looks clean, and would very easily pass for stock. Other than that, again, K&N.

its easy. like changing the brita waterfilter. i'm a middle-aged woman and i put the k&n filter in my sc400 in about 30 seconds. i got for about $52 on the internet. i can't remember the vendor's name.

frankly, i don't see that much of a difference but it'll go 50,000 miles between cleanings and it lasts forever. that's better than $7 here and there for a disposable filter.

i did the CAI in my previous car - an acura integra -- and if nothing else it made the car a lot louder. that might not be your 'cup of tea' on the lexus.

The stock Toyota/Lexus filter has been DYNO proven to outperform the K&N.

I'd go into detail why the K&N isn't that great but at the moment I'm really lazy.

Sadistic is right about mods narrowing your market size for the car.

This is the reason I decided to do my own CAI from scratch.

This way, when (actually IF) I ever decide to sell the car, a few screws and bolts and the oroginal setup is back in place looking stock as ever and I have in my hands a ready-to-install CAI for my next SC300 (don't have to do the BFI again).

That's just me though.

BFI INTAKE:

"Well guys I went on the dyno to day and was really blown away!!! The last time I went on this dyno I only achieved 128.4KW,as a stock std V8,well this time I clocked 139.9KW!!! and the only mod I have done is the BFI and changed the oil"

side note

128.4 kw = 172.1 HP

139.9 KW = 187.5 HP

And supposedly adding a TRD inatke filter to this helps even more and that was for alot less then the injen intake would cost you.

SPORT, I totally agree that the K&N isn't great.. *BUT* it would be considered a modification from stock, so that's why I suggested it ;)  lol  I'd actually like to see a pic of your BFI if you have one, SPORT.

I don't have a BFI setup as of yet as I'm still trying to decide what I want to do.

I was going to do the BFI 3 but I realized that I really love that sound a real CAI makes.

I will not spend $250 on the useless short ram Injen.

I've found this really great article on making your own CAI:

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article...view/2240/1/72/

It's basically taking some cheap civic intake mipes and connecting them together to make one long one with the MAF in the middle.

The pipe goes down under the headlight and the filter is placed in that chamber just above the foglight.

I'll use the AEM bypass valve to protect myself from puddles and such.

If you have no imagination and can't picture what that looks like, but are still too lazy to click the link, here's a picture of the end product:

step4.JPG

I found out a few days ago that I'm jobless as of the end of this week, so this might have to wait.