1992 Sc400 Oil Change

the car recommends 5-30w. i use mobil drive clean plus 5-30w. i got the oil filter from lexus. that runs about 13-14 dollars. i wouldn't use 10-30w just because of the recommendation that the car requires.

use 10w30 on a high mileage car. fram will do.

Tips:

warm your oil before you empty the pan. Big bucket or pan always helps since there's a lot of oil.

Take your oil out and replace your filter with a little screen.

Put your new oil in, and then you're done ;)

I do live in NY, but the car has 115K miles on it, so I'm thinking use 10W-30 for the spring/summer and 5W-30 for the fall/winter. Plus I don't mind going a little heavier when I use synthetic oil under these conditons, because it seems to flow well even when it gets a little colder.

UCF3, what are you referring to when you say "...replace your filter with a little screen."? What screen? This is my first time doing an oil change on this car.

i started running the KN high flow oil filter $8 at checker and i was using Castrol High performance Synthectic but I am switching to mobile 1 this time around, i noticed a much smmother running and happier engine with the performance oil..if you are going to leave the car stock i would say but some good oil not perfromace or synthetic but better the the 99 cent crap and use 10w30 summer/srping and 5w/30 in winter like you said, oil filter you may be fine with the toyota one once again if remaining stock but a fram wouldnt be bad either

I did the oil change this morning, it work out good - I like a car that I can do an oil change on w/o jacking it up (my drain pan JUST fit under the oil pan). The oil filter was easier to get to than I thought, it's up front with just a few hoses close by it, I was able to wiggle my filter wrench past the hoses. Personally, I think Fram is a good oil filter, maybe not the best, but for the 6k miles it'll be in there for with the synthetic oil it should be OK.

For what it's worth, I won't buy Castrol anything... I know that they have good commercials, but I was never impressed with their product. For non-synthetic normal usage I like Pennzoil, for synthetic under any conditions I like Mobil 1.