98 Gs300 Stereo System

My 98 GS300 factory stereo display is messed up. The LCD panel displays brocken letters and numbers, which is not readable at all. I want to replace it with aftermarket stereo. Has anyone done that before? My stereo and CD changer only has Lexus label on it, so I don't know who made it. I appreciate if anyone can give me some advise. TIA.

Yes! :D You lucked out. There is a kit for the 2nd gen GS3, not the first gen. I had to custom make mine. See my pics in the garage. Do a search on google for the kit. It's made by a shop in New York, if I remember correctly. Harness is available more readily. You won't be able to use the changer with your new stereo. Other than that it's pretty easy. Your new stereo will have to have front and rear rca outputs to plug into the wiring harness, as it only excepts rca input for the factory amp. There are ways around this but it degrades sound quality.

Yes! :D You lucked out. There is a kit for the 2nd gen GS3, not the first gen. I had to custom make mine. See my pics in the garage. Do a search on google for the kit. It's made by a shop in New York, if I remember correctly. Harness is available more readily. You won't be able to use the changer with your new stereo. Other than that it's pretty easy. Your new stereo will have to have front and rear rca outputs to plug into the wiring harness, as it only excepts rca input for the factory amp. There are ways around this but it degrades sound quality.

I checked the photo you posted. It's pretty cool. Looks like you got the stereo fit kit. I also found the kit for 98 GS from autotoys.com. The problem is that I hate not being able to control my fatory-installed CD changer. Some people told me to buy the receiver from the same manufacture of the CD changer. Don't know if anyone has done that.

Call autotoys and ask them as they seem to have experience in that area. I have been doing alarm and stereos for 15 years, sometimes the changer will work with an aftermarket deck, sometimes not. I know for sure on the lexus it won't just plug in. You would have to buy a new cable or an adapter.

In case you are interested in the factory look, all you need is part no CWM4931 - LCD DISPLAY ASSY which you can get directly from Pioneer. It's a matter of a few simple screws to replace. Cost is $100.83. I did mine a few months ago. Very easy.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model....lNum=KEXM8076ZT

This part applies to the standard model with the cassette, not sure if it fits the Nacamichi. If you call Pioneer at 1-800-228-7221 they will be happy to help you. Take the radio out to get the exact model number if you need it. Here's how you get it out.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusGS400str.htm

Note you can't just buy the LCD part no CAW1385 because it is held to the rest of the assembly with a proprietary conductive bonded flex ribbon cable that is not possible to bond back to the assembly after you remove the display. I don't even know why they sell it seperately.

Sidenote: It is actually the connections on this cable that fail, but the good news is the replacement part has been redesigned with a metal clip at the connection point. Surely this will make the display last longer. I must have seen 15 Lexus cars with this problem already.

if you went pioneer aftermarket stereo i could convert your gs changer to work with the aftermarket pioneer headunit for free. it would have to be a pioneer aftermarket.

i also sell a gs lcd repair kit with the 100.00 lcd and the 30.00 service manual for 115.00 shipped. with my directions anyone can replkace the lcd in 45 minutes.

emancy@woh.rr.com

e gus mancy

853 sylvan shores dr

south vienna,oh 45369

937 568 4538

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO ON THE REPLACEMENT FOR THE PIONEER LCD. I recently bought a 99 GS300 and have been pretty disappointed about the radio display.

No problem! I just help out when I can in the hopes that others will do the same. Good luck! :D

• 8 months later...

Saw your reply. I have a 2000 gs300 with a bad display. is the kit you mention the display module that can be refitted in the original radio. I have disassembled my radio and it looks quite easy to replace providing I can get the proper parts(display w/connector ribbon and pc board). Is this a 2nd generation type and where can I get it. Thanks in advance for your help.

if you went pioneer aftermarket stereo i could convert your gs changer to work with the aftermarket pioneer headunit for free. it would have to be a pioneer aftermarket.

i also sell a gs lcd repair kit with the 100.00 lcd and the 30.00 service manual for 115.00 shipped. with my directions anyone can replkace the lcd in 45 minutes.

emancy@woh.rr.com

e gus mancy

853 sylvan shores dr

south vienna,oh 45369

937 568 4538

I went to ultimate electronics today and they told me that the only reciever that's compatable with my stock changer is a pioneer deck? I wanted an Alpine but a pioneer would do also. They gave me a qoute of the system I wanted plus installation and it was around $1200. That's a little too much for me since I know the basic install already. So do you think you could convert my stock changer with this reciever: Pioneer DEH-P4600mp?

emancy@woh.rr.com

e gus mancy

853 sylvan shores dr

south vienna,oh 45369

937 568 4538

I went to ultimate electronics today and they told me that the only reciever that's compatable with my stock changer is a pioneer deck? I wanted an Alpine but a pioneer would do also. They gave me a qoute of the system I wanted plus installation and it was around $1200. That's a little too much for me since I know the basic install already. So do you think you could convert my stock changer with this reciever: Pioneer DEH-P4600mp?

yes the conversion of your gs changer would plug into the ip bus port in the bottom right hand corner of ther deh-p4600mp. it is a 10 pin blue square connector. the ip bus wire from the convetrerted gs changer would plug into the back of the pioneer and be controlled by your pioneer aftermarket heeadunit and directly controlled not fm modulated.

Thanks for the advice. Now that I know which deck will work with the changer, I'll go ahead and order it. I want to leave the stock amp and sub in and add an after market amp and sub to the system. What exactly do I need besides the new sub and amp?

NOt a good idea! :lol: The stock sub will distort very badly and rather quickly. Disconnect the stock sub. Make sure the 4600MP has the ability to send high pass signals to the factory amp and spks. I think most of the pioneers do. Make sure it has a sub out rca. It really should have 3 sets of RCA's (front rear and sub) with the ability to send high pass signals to the front &rear and low pass to the sub. You need the wiring harness and kit as well as wiring for the sub and amp and MOST importantly someone qualified to install it. Or you could print this out and take it with you and show it to the salesman. :whistles:

So you're saying I should hook up RCA jacks to the stock amp and another one to the aftermarket amp?

YEP :whistles: Depending on what your wire harness has, whether it's RCA's or SPKR wires. The 1st gens wire harness uses RCA's to connect to the factory wiring. RCA'S would provide the cleanest signal, since you're going into an amp.

• 4 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

MY 98 GS300 CD Changer won't play any CD's. the radio works, as well as the tape deck. i tried a cleaner and that didn't work. I tried loading different cd's and I hear the discs shuffling but nothing plays.

The dealer wants to replace the system for 650.

Any suggestions on what is wrong or how to fix?

whoa before you buy the ebay changer here are some guidelines. the avearge time a gs changer lasts is 7 to 10 years. so you would want to know when the changer is built. the date is on the serial number sticker and the seller should give you that info if asked.i would recommend buying one from as new a gs as possible. also only a gs changer from the lexus premium sound non nakamichi will work the part number is 86270-30150 pioneere model cdx-m8076zt with 10 pin connecctor will work. the pioneer gs changer made for nakamichi system will not work as it puts out digital signal not analog like your pioneer radio with p1708 on the cassette flap door on the fsceplate. so make sure the changer you are buying is the right pioneer made gs changer with a 10 pin connector not a 12 pin. ......................................................................... the nakamichi changer has a 12 pin connector. for 250.00 you should get a warranty as that is upper end for a used gs changer. gs changers are very plentiful as they fit no other lexus models and gs ownerrs go aftermarket way more than any other lexus models so there are more available. i have one in mint condition from a 2002 gs the last year they will fit in your 98 brackets. since you are a club member i would sell it for half of what the ebay person is selling it for . email me at pioneersuby@woh.rr.com.

• 1 month later...
Saw your reply.  I have a 2000 gs300 with a bad display. is the kit you mention the display module that can be refitted in the original radio. I have disassembled my radio and it looks quite easy to replace providing I can get the proper parts(display w/connector ribbon and pc board).  Is this a 2nd generation type and where can I get it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in the same situation. My 2000 GS300 radio display is only showing the top half of the numbers where the station number is displayed. Radio works fine, just can't see what station is tuned in. The car is a platinum edition and I'm pretty sure the radio is the pioneer (since there is no badging saying Nakamichi). Does anyone have the part number for the radio so I can check the Pioneer part site? I don't want to replace the factory radio, just fix the display.

Thanks and I must say this is the most informative Lexus site I've seen. :)