Remote Start Automatically Turning On

RMP

I recently purchased a 2012 RX350 with remote start. Over the week that I've owned it the remote start has initiated on 4 seperate days on its own. It happens after the car has been parked and I have exited the car. As I'm walking away from the car I hear the engine turn over. When I approach the car the doors unlock and the engine turns off which is how I know this is related to the remote start. Has this happened to anyone? Is there some cold start feature I'm not aware of that may be affecting this? If so, how do I turn off this feature? One of the 4 days I had this happen 3 times in a row. For the 2nd and 3rd time I made sure the FOB an remote start controls were in way being pressed. I have a detached garage and am concerned that this car may turn on without me k owing it when the garage doors are closed. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

I recently purchased a 2012 RX350 with remote start. Over the week that I've owned it the remote start has initiated on 4 seperate days on its own. It happens after the car has been parked and I have exited the car. As I'm walking away from the car I hear the engine turn over. When I approach the car the doors unlock and the engine turns off which is how I know this is related to the remote start. Has this happened to anyone? Is there some cold start feature I'm not aware of that may be affecting this? If so, how do I turn off this feature? One of the 4 days I had this happen 3 times in a row. For the 2nd and 3rd time I made sure the FOB an remote start controls were in way being pressed. I have a detached garage and am concerned that this car may turn on without me k owing it when the garage doors are closed. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Do you have an original Lexus installed remote start or was it added later by someone else? Either way, it needs to go back to either the dealership or the third party who installed the remote start.

You say, "When I approach the car the doors unlock and the engine turns off which is how I know this is related to the remote start." I don't think this is correct function. If this were correct function, you could never lock the car. You'd lock it, start to walk away and it would unlock. I think you have to touch the car to unlock it. If however, this is some personalized setting, perhaps the dealer could change it.

Also the engine, if remote started properly, should only stop the moment you open the driver's or passenger's door. It will not stop if you unlock the car or you open the tailgate. I'm guessing Lexus thought you might want to throw some packages in the rear, yet keep the engine running.

The original Lexus remote start on the '12 does not have a "cold start" feature and even if it did, you said you just parked the car so wouldn't it be warm?

Have you noticed what your hazard lights are doing when this happens? There should be some beeping and lights flashing just before the car remote starts.

If you can place the fob in your hand, buttons side up, not touch the buttons and walk away from the car without touching the buttons and the car starts, you've got a ghost in the car. I think you need to see your dealership or the third party remote start installer and get the ghost exorcised from your car.

If on the other hand, you have the fob in your pocket or purse with some change, keys or a cellphone, something is pushing the buttons to start the car. There should be a separate remote start manual if this is a Lexus remote start. Review it. It has other helpful information.

Thanks Buk! I'll bring it back. It didn't come with a manual that went over the remote start feature but I was able to find one online. I bought it used and don't know if it was installed after market. I'll bring it back and let them figure out what's going on. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RMP,

I have this 2012 RX 350. The way remote start works is that you need to press the lock button thrice without any pause. When the Remote Start turns the engine on, if you press any button on your FOB or touch the vehicle doors it will turn off the engine. My dealer told me this is for added security as RX 350 newer models has no key to put in ignition.

Coming to your problem: may be you were pressing the lock button more than once too quickly to lock your door and it engaging the RES. Try to lock the doors once you exit by pressing the lock button your FOB once, give a couple of seconds pause and press again. This should resolve your problem.