Got Turbo Today And Need Help.

I finally got my turbo kit installed in my '97 lexus SC300 today after a month, but now my check engine light comes on. The place that installed the kit said that it is because I don't have enough spark, and I need a ecu of some sort and maybe a ignition. They recommended that I get a Greddy E-Manage, and that would solve the problem because it would control fuel and spark. Is that true that it would solve my problems? Is that the unit that I should get? And if I get the Greddy E-Manage, will I still need to get a ignition upgrade? Also they quoted $1200 for unit (E-manage)/install/and tune, is that a fair price? If I need a ignition upgrade, what would be the best for my car considering price and so on? They recommended MSD DIS. Considering I don't think that I have digital spark, I don't think that would be the unit to get, maybe like a MSD 7T or something, any ideas?

The GReddy E-Manage system will control spark, and should fix your problem. The check engine light is probably on because of detonation. (Or I'm assuming) If I was authorized to sell with LOC, I would sell it for $350.00. That would include the injector, and Ignition harness. Installation I can't really quote on, or tuning. That is something that would be vehicle specific in person. This, like any other piggy-back will give you minimal amounts of adjustment for the injector duty, and spark. This may be all you need though. There are other methods to get more adjustment out of the E-manage system if needed. So if you need to adjust fuel and spark, this will definitely do the job.

As for ignition, I'm going to let someone else handle this one. In my opinion I think you would be fine with anything from an HKS Twin Power, to an MSD DIS or 6-7A. I think that's all in how much you really want to spend. Ignition boxes range from $50-800 dollars and all provide more accurate and stronger spark. What raises the price is usually the other things that they do. (i.e. Rev-Limiters, programable)

If you factor in the prices of the DIS, E-Manage and tuning, I think $1,200 sounds like a fair price. I have seen MSD installs that end up taking forever, and become a real nightmare for the Tech. So, I think it sounds very reasonable, since most of that price is Labor and tuning.

Ok. A mil could be anything. What turbo kit is it? What size is the turbo? What kind of fuel considerations have been made? What kind of air consideration has been done? They didn't even bother to run the code? You will need to pull it to know what is up.

This is what the kit came with: 3” Mandrel-Bent Down pipe w/ Closed-Loop Waste, gate Discharge, GARRETT/Turbonetics T04E-60 Turbocharger, HKS Standard External Waste gate, Large Front-Mount Intercooler(28x6.5x3.5), HKS Racing Bypass Valve, K&N Air Filter, Oil Cooler, Transmission Cooler, Turbine Heat Shield, Additional Injector Controller, 440cc Lucas Fuel Injectors (2), 3 Bar MAP Sensor, rIDEAL 8.5:1 Compression Ratio Head Gasket, Auto Meter A/F Gauge, Auto Meter Boost Gauge, Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller, Iridium Plugs

ARP Head Studs, Walbro Fuel Pump. That is what i know that I have. As of Air considerations, I don't quite understand/know. As of running code, I don't understand/know. From what I understand from help from members from Texas Racing Scene, all I need is the Greddy E-Manage and an ignition that retards timing. But they also recommended that I go talk to a Chris Johnson at Performance Motorsports here in Austin and he would be able to diagnose the problem pretty well. I will find out today and update any info. Thanks a lot for what info has been given so far!

F-max eh? Sounds like a decent set-up. I like the hks stuff. Listen, you have a three bar map sensor. The k&n air filter set-up - was it on the car with a maf adapter before the installation of the turbo kit? Is the stock hotwire maf still in line before the turbo? How is the 3 bar map sending signal to the ecu? Or is it only sending signal to the AIC? I think that is the case. Your injector controller is referencing the map for fuel. Your stock ecu is still using the stock hotwire - or was it swapped to a 1uz meter? You probably need to trick the hotwire maf or get rid of it wich might be possible with the e-manage (and that may be why they recommend it). Did you use a oxygen sensor fake or did they splice in to tie any of them together? I notice you are 97+ - vvti? I would feel comfortable saying your stock ecu does not like the positive pressure or the emissions system is bucking. Give me your e-mail addy pm and I can send you the procedure. Also, I linked up to a site for obd1 and 2 diagnostic troubleshooting. Don't remember where it is though. Try searching. You have some options. Basically, a good tuner should be able to fix the situation without any additional components aside from oxygen signal modification - as far as I see it. I could be wrong. For your car, the e-manage may not be ideal. I know of three people that have had problems getting them to work on both karmen and hotwire. Then again, I think there are a couple of guys that did have success with it. Might try asking on Supraforums.com in the naturally aspirated forum. Lots of 2jz na-t guys there. You already have an injector controller and boost controller. Without being there I would say if you want timing control, try a boost timing management unit from the likes of msd. Make sure you get the correct tach adapter for your car though. I don't have that info off hand, but again, a good tuner should be able to get you set up. Sounds like your shop is a Greddy distributor and they are pushing the e-manage to make a sale. Be wary of that. The unit will do several things that are already accounted for with your current set-up. So you are going redundant with the boost controller, aic, and e-manage on top of it.

Install the e-manage yourself, it comes with all the instructions you need.

Make sure you check:

Mohd Parts

They almost always have the best prices on the e-manage on the net. Also read the faq if you buy the ignition harness you can usually find unused pins to pull from it and plug into the other harness to control additional injectors if needed. Also get the software its real nice/handy and I would highly suggest the boost sensor, but you don't have to get one if you have a Greddy electronic boost member as its the same sensor as that and you can splice off of it to get boost readings. I run an e-manage setup currently on my Impreza RS-T so if you have any questions I would be more than willing to try and answer them.