Did You Get 2 Master Keys?

natey2

I only got one when I bought my 2005 LS430.

Coming from an ES300, this LS430 key looks neater (I basically don't need to use the metal key at all; just need to be close to the car).

Dealer wants a lot of money to make a copy of the master.

Found one I could order from Sewell, with the Lexus Owners Club member discount, that seems quite reasonable.

Is programming it myself gonna be a challenge? Any risk to the only master key I currently have?

Why don't people just turn over all keys they got with the car when they sell it?

If you bought your 05 LS from a Lexus dealer, a condition of purchase could have been a full set of keys.

You could ask your local Lexus dealer to contact the previous owner and ask if he has the rest of the keys. The local Lexus dealer did that for me when I bought a used 2000 LS400 in 2003 from an auto broker. In my case, the rest of the keys finally turned up -- eventually forwarded from an auto auction to the auto broker who passed them on to me. I still bought a full third set of keys from the local Lexus dealer which I keep as a backup.

I don't know how the keyless entry "keys" are programmed. A Lexus dealer service writer took maybe 2 minutes to program the master and valet keys I bought in 2003 and didn't charge extra for doing it.

Dealer wants $65 (185 if key+cut+program). Locksmith wants $100 ($200 if key+cut+program).

Locksmith is more expensive than a Lexus dealership?? Going to try other locksmiths.

I guess I had only saved about $20 buying and cutting the key from Sewell, over the local Lexus dealer.

Yes, thanks.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/LS430-2005/2714.html says:

"Programming may be completed by any Lexus Authorized Dealer or professional locksmith or you may attempt to program your Lexus key yourself with the proper key programming instructions."

I guess the latter is not true for my 2005 LS430 because it needs a specialized device to perform the programming?

So, I'm off to the local Lexus dealer. They did warn me that the key I bought might not work, but I hope it does.

Will post an update here soon...

Update:

Over the weekend, I had e-mailed the local Lexus dealership for a quote to just program a pre-cut Master Key I bought online. Someone in the Parts dept at the dealership called me on my phone and quoted $65.

This morning, I received an e-mail reply to my quote request from another person in the Parts dept: $35 !

I guess Master Key programming prices are like stock prices of a volatile stock, and fluctuate daily. Lol!

So I went down to the Lexus dealership, and a service tech programmed the Master Key and FOB in about 10 minutes. He used some kind of large hand held device. I did not notice him opening and closing the driver's door 5 times, so he must have used some other programming steps.

Moral of the story: Always check your local Lexus dealer's prices for the whole thing (i.e. key+cut+program) before looking online. This Lexus dealer can low-ball any local locksmith's Master Key programming fee, so look out all you local locksmiths. Lol!

When I bought my car I purchased three keys from a local locksmith. He indicated that they would be no problem to make and program. Making the keys went fine. Programming them was another matter. After getting them to talk to the car by a sequence of various door lock cycles and ignition switch cycles, the would lock and unlock the doors and trunk. They would not, however allow the car to start. He ran into a brick wall here. I was faced with the prospect of making a 140 mile drive to the nearest Lexus dealership and paying the going rate, which was $65.00 for program the keys. I mentioned my situation to friend who was the service manage at the local Toyota store. I had been previously told that they couldn't do anything with my Lexus except change oil, which was why I was in there. He said that was incorrect, they could perform all work except warranty. They programmed the key for $40.00. They told me that there would be no way anyone with a 2001 or later Lexus could program their own keys unless the feature had been unlocked either at the factory or by a Lexus dealership using the Lexus "Z Best" device.

I bought toyota fob(brand new) for 80$. switched to Lexus shell after.

programmed with tech stream within 5 min

cables available on eBay for 20-30$

screw dealers!

Tech Stream https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_tis_ts_reprog&_nfpb=true looks like a $8,000 device!

The Lite version is over $1,000.