Gps Map Update

Hi everyone,

What's the best way to update the maps on 2007 RX350? It is totally missing a lot of newer roads.

Also, has there been any firmware update? to improve functionality? Would dealers do those? and if so, is it free or you need to pay?

Thanks

Map updates have gotten pretty cheap: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php

What you call "firmware" is usually part of the update. Updating your maps may not make those new roads show up - it can take from years to "never" for them the show - but an update should help quite a bit - especially for POI's - if the one you have is the original one.

The map is purchased from your dealer .

A) The vehicles battery must be in good condition.

B) A special charger is used for stable voltage during reprogramming, reprogramming is not allowed until condotions A and B are met.

C) There is new firmware available,we inspect your vehicle to see what is present . It must also be upgraded or programming will be allowed to start.

The firmware is NOT part if map data, the two are seperate.

D) Using a special harddrive and techstream we first update the firmware ( this is new generally once a year ) this operation takes several minutes.

We then using the purchased map data key, load the map data into the hard drive using techstream.

The hard drive is then connected to your vehicle, the new map data is then down loaded, this takes around twenty five minutes.

The entire operation takes around 1 to 2 hours depending if we are instructed to charge your battery. Most dealers charge (1.0) hours of labor.

Map updates have gotten pretty cheap: http://www.lexusnavi...at_to_order.php

What you call "firmware" is usually part of the update. Updating your maps may not make those new roads show up - it can take from years to "never" for them the show - but an update should help quite a bit - especially for POI's - if the one you have is the original one.

Ok, thanks, so is it simply a new DVD and replacing the old one?

I guess with DVD-based models firmwares not updated, right?

PS. BTW, I find $169 for just a DVD with new maps a bit expensive, although not outragous...

My understanding is that all you need to do is install a new DVD. Thie instructions on how to do it have been posted in the past or you can view/download them from http://lexus.sewellp...-2007/4970.html

I don't remember ever reading about a separate firmware update for a Toyota/Lexus DVD based navigation system but I'm not an expert. It would seem that what one might call firmware updates are included on the DVD. For example, the latest update eliminates having to press the "I Agree" button on generation 5 systems and up. Your 07 RX is gen 5 so the update should cause the "I Agree" message to disappear after five seconds unless you already have an update that eliminated it.

$169 for updates may seem high but at least that is less than they used to be.

In my opinion, having a current POI database is more important than having exactly current maps. But who needs a up-to-date POI database on a nav system anymore when just about any smart phone can give you that - as long as you have good phone service where you are driving. What I especially like about having a portable Garmin Nuvi in my aging 00 LS and an Android phone is that I can get a POI location from an app on the phone (Yelp, Yellow Pages, Google, etc.) and press a screen button on the phone to wirelessly send the location (via Bluetooth) to the Garmin using the Garmin SmartPhone Link app running on the phone. Very cool - makers of in-car navigation systems are finally starting to catch up by including applications like Yelp in their navigation systems .... e.g. Lexus Enform on current Lexus vehicles. The current Toyota brand Entune and Lexus brand Enform both can communicate with Toyota/Lexus apps running on a SmartPhone - Android, iPhone and maybe others.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Jim Mahood said:

I am trying to find a chip for a 2013 Lexus RX-350 to update my GPS.  My Lexus dealer says it will be over $300 to buy a chip and install.  Seems a bit steep.

Are there any alternatives?

There is no "chip" for the 2013-2015 RX350.  You buy an activation card.  A Lexus dealer tech updates your nav system using proprietary software and enters the serial number from the activation card during the update process which causes the activation card serial number to go into a database that prevents it from being used in multiple vehicles.  The update usually takes about 1/2 hour while the dealer tech goes and does something else.

The RX350 didn't start using micro-SD map updates until the 2016 model year.  You are far from the first who has been misled by a dealership on this subject.

The activation card method for your RX works like on our Prius.  I bought the activation card for it through the Costco Auto Program for $143.65 and payed a Toyota dealer $40 to do the update.  Others have paid over $300 for the same thing.

I'll attach a table from the end of 2015 that shows the Lexus nav updates and system types.  The useful website that contained this information is no longer online so I retrieved "lexusnavigation.com" from the Internet Wayback Machine.

Lexus nav updates as of the end of 2015.jpg