Lexus Navigation Dvd

kbrcpa

Anyone know what it cost to have the DVD Navigatioin unit installed in a LX450 that didn't originally come with one?

so is there really NO way to work the navi system while the truck is moving??? Not being able to do this is the BIGGEST pain in the butt!!!! (2004 lx 470)

There is no factory NAV system for the LX450. Even if there was, the cost of buying the components for the LX470 nav system would run you about 5-7grand +. I wouldn't even be able to guess how many hours of installation would be involved.

Penmarsh, As far as I've been able to find out there is no way currently to override the 2004 nav system.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
tried to install the new nav dvd and it says "disk error", "cannot read disk"; I checked the DVD and it has no scratches and looks fine.  Also checked in my computer.  Is there anything else I need to do?  It appears that it didn't even attempt to update as mentioned above.

I'm having this same problem. What did you end up doing? I have the 4.2Version that I want to install in my 2001 LS430. It should work right?

Monika

• 5 years later...

Don't recall where/how I found it, but found an Installation Guide on line in pdf format. The guide has about 15 pages, with one page for a particular Lexus model vehicle (along with separate diagrams). The diagrams for each vehicle help one to locate the "ECU" unit where the DVD disk is housed. The ECU is in different places in different models, some under a front seat, some in the luggage compartment, looks like some are in glove box or behind in the dash. Anyway, to install an update DVD, the guide says locate the "ECU" which is the unit housing the disk (in luggage compartment in an SC430), remove the cover, slide push button to left... and this should open the dust cover and eject the DVD disk. I think you need to have the ignition "on" for this to work. Maybe there is a mechanical way to eject the disk too?? Next, remove the disk (send in for a rebate if eligible... those far out of date are likely not eligible, but I do see them on eBay and you may be able to sell them there anyway). Lastly, simply insert the new DVD disk and with the ignition "on" the NAV system will reboot and configure and update itself automatically. From all I have learned, however, the critical factor is to update with a disk that matches your NAV system "generation". I think the early SC430's of 2002-03 are GEN 2/3 and the update "versions" yearly manufactured go by a number corresponding to the year of the update (for example, the latest update in 2011 is that published in October 2010 and its version number is "10.1"). Sewell Parts assures me this Gen 2/3 ver. 10.1 will accuratedly work and update my SC2003 NAV system. As an aside, based upon the "generation" and "version" numbers and there is also a "U" number too, such as U02 or U33, etc., it appears that other Japanese vehicle makes and models use the exact same NAV disks. I am told the actual map data is likely supplied by ESRI (a company in Redlands, CA, USA), but I suspect the actual manufacture of the disks is in Japan along with the NAV system computer itself, however this is a guess on my part. I have downloaded and saved this installation guide and can forward it to anyone who asks... but the brief info above is essaentially all it says. If you are involved in searching for the "ECU" in other Lexus vehicles, then some of the diagrams are helpful, but likely simply asking a local Lexus (or other make??) service technician can tell you this information too. In the SC430, in the luggage compartment, on the right side, is a plastic cover with a tell-tale label: just pop the cover and the ECU is easy to get to.