Lexus Navigation Dvd

kbrcpa

I recently purchase the October 2003 update release of the NAV DVD and I am trying to figure out how to get it installed into my car. Is there a drive somewhere in the car where I just need to pop it in?

Please post your results here, as I too would rather install the upgrade myself. I think we are all fairly computer literate here - to have to pay upwards of $500 for a software reinstall doesn't make sense to me.

sorry it took so long as i have been waiting a picture to put on the post, too. we'll just do without as it is really not needed. slide the passenger seat all the way to the front and tip up the back for more room. you will find a plastic cover on the floor. remove the plastice screws and the cover (yes they are screws not snaps). this is the navigation unit. on the left side of the unit there is a lock, slide the lock to the right. turn on the ignition switch. push the eject button on the nav unit (under the seat). the disk will come out. check and see what version you have. REMEMBER WHEN YOU INSTALL THE NEW VERSION, YOU CAN NOT RETURN TO THE OLDER VERSION AS IT ALSO UPDATES SOFTWARE IN THE UNIT! congradulations... you just saved $42 for 5 minutes work. now if anyone has an 2003 version i can borrow for a few days... drop me a line at tigacff22@charter.net.

So, and correct me if I am wrong, after you eject the existing old DVD and insert the new updated DVD, the nav unit automatically updates itself? Do you have to do anything at all after you insert the new DVD?

Thanks in advance.

tried to install the new nav dvd and it says "disk error", "cannot read disk"; I checked the DVD and it has no scratches and looks fine. Also checked in my computer. Is there anything else I need to do? It appears that it didn't even attempt to update as mentioned above.

My first suggestion would be to copy the DVD and try loading into your NAV system off the copy - if the original DVD is damaged, you won't be able to make a successful copy; if the original DVD is copyable, the copy itself might be more "readable" by the NAV drive.

I spoke today with the service technician at my Lexus dealer - he told me that all of the October 2003 Nav DVD's in their dealership had been sent back to the manufacturer due to a defect similar to the one you are describing. I think he was being truthful, because I asked to buy one and I was told that none were available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What is the best way to go about updating the Nav software for a 2002 SC430? I called a dealer and they said the software was $381.10 - that just seems expensive. I noticed another post somewhere that referenced upgrades free under warranty, but this parts guy didn't know anything about that and thought that since 2000 they don't warranty any of the navigation upgrades.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sean

I have an 01 RX 300 and my dealer said installation is about $100, so the total cost will be about $500. Ouch. I've been following navigation threads to see if installation can be done by the owner and if the DVD is available at discount.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently purchase the October 2003 update release of the NAV DVD and I am trying to figure out how to get it installed into my car. Is there a drive somewhere in the car where I just need to pop it in?

keep me updatd too

I recently purchase the October 2003 update release of the NAV DVD and I am trying to figure out how to get it installed into my car.  Is there a drive somewhere in the car where I just need to pop it in?

keep me updatd too

I think the location of the DVD varies based on car model. My RX300 has it in the trunk, far right side under the jack. There is a slide switch to expose an eject button. Not sure what to do from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning!

IF you did the "navigation override" to enable you to program the unit while moving, the new software removes that functionality. It happened to me on my 2001 LX.

The DVD player (including the screen) still works while moving however.