Leaking Radiator 06 400H

The radiator reservior was low for the first time even though i had no liquid on the ground and never overheating or the temp gauge registering above normal. My Lexus dealer says its leaking and cannot be fixed because it is plastic and metal and wants $1200. I have an appointment with a local radiator guy who will pressure test it, lexus did top off the fluid and i can now see a drip on the right side of the radiator. Has anyone ever repaired one of these? i am at 92,000, my extended warranty ended last july. thanks all for your help as always, dave

Just replace it . The seams fail where they are clamped and yes it is two different materials . And please use the specified ultra long lift coolant that Lexus recommends .

Inspect the water pump also, they generally begin to leak before the 90k mark.

The 400 h is incredible rolling technology .

Please only allow the skilled to repair it.

my water pump began to leak at 77,000 and was replaced under extended warranty. my dealer is the only one who has worked on this vehicle including every oil change, and yes i will use the toyota fluid, just checking my options now that i am out of warranty and until recently could not see evidence of the leak. also i do not see many of these radiators failing this early so i was wondering about that. since the labor and fluids werer already covered at that time we did the timing chain and belts at 77K also

We now have 77,000 miles on our RX and I have not seen any leaks. Why did you get your timing belt replaced at that mileage? Do you live in a northern region where temps dip very low?

I am in temperate seattle where we are lucky to have mild temperatures, its my understanding the timing chain is usually done at 90K as a precaution but that it easily goes 125K and beyond. To get to the water pump it was my understanding that the timing chain and belts and hoses were easy to change as well and i just paid for the belts and hoses but no additional labor, that was covered under the water pump extended warranty labor. It seemed at the time to be a cost benefit since i was going to do it at 90K anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

independent radiator guy looked at my radiator, found a crack on the left side, is replacing it for $600 total, got him toyota antifreeze from toyota dealer ship, half of what lexus dealer wanted. are the two systems for the hybrid cooling separate from the radiator engine cooling even tho they use the same fluid, i would think they are.