Lexus Dependability

mscan

I am looking at a 92 SC300 with 160,000 miles on it. The timing belt was changed a 125,000 and it seems to be in pretty good shape, but it's also been detailed to the max. So my long winded question is , how many miles is too many on this vehicle...do these things go 200 + regularly, or should I be looking for a new motor soon? Oh yeah...the guy wants 6 grand...seems fair..

Can't prove it on paper, the guy says its had all regular servicing done..it is clean though...looks brand new inside and out..the only flaw is the antenna doesn't work...feels pretty tight too

the other item that worries me as i get up in mileage is the starter. you can see several posts relating what a pain it is to switch it out. to answer your question, the engine itself is strong, but it the wear items like PS pump, starter etc that you should budget for. good luck

What is the Blue Book of a 92 SC300 with 160,000? I purchased an immaculate 93 SC400 with 180,000 for $4,500. Don't want to know what I paid for the SC430.

The SC400 is my daily driver and all service had been done. The previous owner had all the recommended repairs and replacements that the Dealer suggested to a tone of about $14,000. I have all the records.

I've replaced a few items for preventive maintenance, but I am very satisfied with my purchase and I drove it 350 mile to Tunica, MS two weeks ago and I will drive it to a golf trip in Pensacola, FL, about 450 miles.

I would drive it anywhere.

Good luck with your purchase.

:cheers:

Be aware of the other little things that wear out with age and miles.

drive it on a road with some dips and bumps (not smooth). Listen for creaks and how it handles. If its noisy or jumps a little, it may need bushings and or shock mount cushions.

Bear in mind that nothing on a Lexus is cheap to replace or repair.

Also, the insurance is going to likely be higher than a same age non lexus.

As an example, i had a 2 year old saturn and the lexus insurance is MORE. The lexus is a 93 sc400.

They are good cars but they still are getting older like every thing else, not just the motor.

Good luck ;)

was your saturn a two door with a v8? may be a two door but a i4 at that point the insurance will be higher. yea most parts arent cheap but the shocks from the factory are cheap they are like 65 bucks. hell the trunk struts cost more how is that? :huh:

as slidermike said:

Check for squeeking from the rear to see whether the bushes have been changed as it's guarenteed for car with the mileage it should be changed by now, unfortunately hard to spot just by looking under the car, it's more a bounce it hard or even just rock the rear from the outside for a good few minutes incase they have greased it up you can still mak it rub the grease out so it starts sqeeking again. (i caught out a workshop who tried to charge me for it)

Additionally check for diff whine. It can whine just a little but see if it gets really loud when going up the speed range.

I don't think it's a bad car to buy. Replacing parts is part of the fun, and it all depends on where you get the parts from. I have a 95 with 202,000miles, and so far my engine runs pretty well.

My advise, is look for some crutial problems, oil leaks of any kind, electronics, physical damage, and so on. Also look if the car was damaged before, carfax, missing stickers, spray on body paint and so on. Take your to the dealer and pay them for the Pre-Certification Inspection and insist on getting a through job on the engine and electronics. If you have your own mechanic take him/her with you, and rip apart the block and every part involved with the engine and tranny, differential, wheels and tires, undercarriage and so on.

Use your best judgement, and do a through job.