Headlamp Assembly Replacement Options

I have a 2008 RX400h. The HID lamp went dead and I tried replacing it. The replacement did not work, so I assume maybe the ballast is bad. I figured I might as well replace the entire assembly, since I also get condensation during the Summer months. During the winter the condensation clears up. Well, the Dealer wants about $1700 to replace the entire thing. Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap HID headlamp assembly and I can have my mechanic do the replacement for labor cost.

Also, another option would be to install the Halogen assembly. I see I can get that one about $120 vs $5-900 for the HID AFS Assemblies. I dont need the HID or the AFS feature. Does anyone know if I can put a normal Headlamp assembly into a car with the HID and AFS option. The dealer said no, thinking the wiring would be different, but I used to work for an Automotive supplier and they normally make all the wire harnesses exactly the same. So they don't have to know what options are going into the car later.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Like 1

Have you had a Lexus dealer or other knowledgeable diagnose the problem following the diagnostic procedures? "Assuming" can be very expensive - the problem may be something simple. And the condensation problem could be only a spider web in a vent tube.

Toyota/Lexus wiring harnesses are usually VERY - I repeat VERY - specific to the options on a car. You can't just drop halogen units in a vehicle that came with HID.

Have a professional diagnose the problem and then decide what action to take.

I asked the Lexus Service Rep. and he told me that Condensation is only repairable by complete replacement. ($1700 please....) It seems to be a common issue with the 08 RX400h. I dont think this model has any vent tubes when I checked last and that is why we have condensation problem. I can easily double check for that. I thought it was odd that there were no vent tubes when I checked before. Could a blown fuse be the issue? All the other lights work, so I figure its just the ballast...

So you are telling us that you have NOT had the problem diagnosed and that you are guessing that the ballast is defective?

A leaking headlight can sometimes be fixed by resealing it but I can't believe that your headlight units don't have vents.

The headlight moisture problem is a common problem on the RX400h....Resealing seems to be the best solution...Even lexus is recommending application of silicone on the headlamp...

Resealing really doesn't make sense to me. As an Engineer, shouldn't the unit be open? It should have vent holes. I had a 98 LS400 and replaced a turn signal light and that had 2 vent holes to let it breath. Its hard to believe that the newer units are designed to be sealed? Once you replace a lamp, it is open to the environment and any trapped moisture will condensate with changing temperature, unless it is allowed to breath. Maybe the newer units have vent holes. Does anyone know for sure? Maybe I can just drill a hole in it.

From what I understand, the top edge of the lamp assemblies is leaking when subjected to water....I agree venting would be appropriate, but leakage is a whole other problem....

Cans of moisture-sensitive liquids are often topped off with moisture-free nitrogen. If you could ensure that the gas inside the headlight assembly is moisture free and sealed, you shouldn't have a condensation issue. In fact, I believe double-pane windows are vacuum-sealed for the same reason.

But we cant ensure that all gas inside the headlight assembly is moisture free. To replace a broken bulb (the HID bulb or low/high beams) you need to remove a plate. Now you got a big hole in the back and humidity will enter the enclosure. Once you screw back on the bulb, then moisture is trapped inside. So you need to allow venting..

somewhere in this forum or online i remember a post where an owner with the fogging headlight issue found the best place to drill vent holes and solved the problem, i have one that is fogging on my 06 400h and have been considering venting, the lights work fine.

Also some model years were more prone to the seal failure than others and it seems to me it was the 2008, it would not hurt ot call lexus corporate and ask for help with this even if they provided the part, (it has to be the whole headlight assembly). Lexus knows this is a common failure and the squeaky wheel may get some help.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish i found this thread sooner!

The headlights on the Rx400h are in fact vented. There are two vents per headlight, on the back, fitted with rubber hoses bent downwards.

And i can tell you from doing multiple headlight modifications on my 08 rx400h, that the vents don't do crap. Moisture is inevitable, and sealing with silicone or goop won't do a darn thing. Once moisture is inside, it doesn't like to come out. The only solution is to blow hot air into the headlight with a blow-drier for a few hours. This will eliminate the moisture. Until next spring...

I also know the anatomy of the rx400h headlight like the back of my hand... and the ballast is installed within the headlight, at the bottom. If moisture is allowed to build on the inside surface of the headlight, it will eventually leak down and "settle" on (and in) the ballast. I have no doubt that your ballast is damaged. It's like getting a flood in your home's basement, with the ballast like a carpet. It's the first thing to get wet.

This issue is actually rare among the 07-09 Rx headlights, which were modified after severe occurrences on the 04-06 models. If left alone, they shouldn't develop moisture. I'd look for a used headlight from an 08 (keep in mind that the 08 headlight is different than the 07 and older, as the 08 has the "blue" tint to the chrome) online, either from eBay or car-part.com.

You also cannot switch to halogen without doing some severe re-wiring. Also, you'd get a constant "AFS" warning light on the dash if the auto-leveling and AFS motors were not attached.

Thanks for that information. I have basically concluded that the ballast must have gone bad. I did to the hair drying thing and it did get most of the moisture out. Some water remain and it basically all disappeared during these past Winter months. It should be good enough to pass state inspection now, but I still have a dead bulb, so Im going to have to replace the entire thing.

I have looked on E-bay and they still aren't cheap. Lots a refub units where they glue back on mounting brackets. Some new units, but its still $529 bucks for one assembly. I actually just booked an appointment with Lexus Dealer to see if they can just replace the ballast, but my guess is it will break down after awhile, so Ill have to replace the entire thing.

I also just tried to call Lexus Customer care. They seem to understand that the cost of $1700 is outrageous. They said they would call me back within 2 days and let me know what can be done. Has anyone had any luck with out of warranty items with Lexus Customer care. What can I expect?

Thanks for that information. I have basically concluded that the ballast must have gone bad. I did to the hair drying thing and it did get most of the moisture out. Some water remain and it basically all disappeared during these past Winter months. It should be good enough to pass state inspection now, but I still have a dead bulb, so Im going to have to replace the entire thing.

I have looked on E-bay and they still aren't cheap. Lots a refub units where they glue back on mounting brackets. Some new units, but its still $529 bucks for one assembly. I actually just booked an appointment with Lexus Dealer to see if they can just replace the ballast, but my guess is it will break down after awhile, so Ill have to replace the entire thing.

I also just tried to call Lexus Customer care. They seem to understand that the cost of $1700 is outrageous. They said they would call me back within 2 days and let me know what can be done. Has anyone had any luck with out of warranty items with Lexus Customer care. What can I expect?

I don't think it would be too difficult for the dealer to replace only the ballast, as it's easily accessible at the bottom of the headlight via a small "panel" that can be unscrewed. You can find used ballasts on eBay for about $100, they're made by Denso. Believe it or not, Denso ballasts are... the... best, at least as far as i know. However no ballast can withstand water damage.

If your bulb is in working order, and if you've eliminated the moisture in that headlight, simply replacing the ballast is a cheap fix. There's no need to replace the entire headlight unless the moisture issue gets out of control. ^_^

Do you know if they have to take off the entire bumper to replace the ballast? That seems to be a time consuming process.

Unfortunately, they would have to remove the front bumper, but it comes off in about 15 minutes. In either case they'd need to pull the bumper to remove the headlight anyway, though.

Okay well 15mins is nothing. I wonder why they quoted like 3-5hrs to do an entire replacement?

They're trying to milk it! They probably figure the public would "think" that's an appropriate time. You may also consider taking the car to a local body shop if Lexus makes you pay for the fix. Any body shop will be able to do the same job, probably quicker (because they deal with removing bumpers all the time) and at a cheaper cost. It all depends on how much Lexus is willing to cover... I "think" if you request that only the ballast be changed, they might pay for it. It can't hurt to ask.

Thanks that is all good information and its good to know the facts about removing a bumper. I did have one final question about the ballast. You said that water can cause it to break, but since it is mounted to the outside of the assembly, didn't they make it water proof? It needs to be protected from rain and undercarriage washing How can a little condensation ruin it? When I worked at an automotive supplier, I tested all sorts of components and anything mounted to the outside of the car had to be protected from all sorts of environmental elements including salt spray and rain. Usually electronics had to be potted with epoxy to protect it. Did that not do this with the ballast?

Thanks that is all good information and its good to know the facts about removing a bumper. I did have one final question about the ballast. You said that water can cause it to break, but since it is mounted to the outside of the assembly, didn't they make it water proof? It needs to be protected from rain and undercarriage washing How can a little condensation ruin it? When I worked at an automotive supplier, I tested all sorts of components and anything mounted to the outside of the car had to be protected from all sorts of environmental elements including salt spray and rain. Usually electronics had to be potted with epoxy to protect it. Did that not do this with the ballast?

Well actually the ballast is located within the headlight, with an access "cover" at the bottom. There is open space between the bottom of the projector and the ballast. If water were to collect on the inside clear plastic of the headlight, it would drip down and fall right onto the ballast cavity. The ballast is located at the lowest point within the headlight. Any and all water would pool right in it. And it's definitely not waterproof, not even a little. :unsure: I guess they figured water wouldn't get inside the headlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update. I took the RX400h to the Lexus dealer and they said that the entire assembly, ballast and bulb would need to be replaced. Total cost $1900! Lexus Customer Care would help by taking 10% off, had to wait 2 days for there answer. I decided not to get the work done. I purchased a ballast on Ebay for $127. I sealed the edges with some clear silicone sealant for $5. I went to my neighbor mechanic and had them removed the bumper and replaced the ballast. Everything worked fine. I think the original bulb worked fine too, but we replaced it with the $12 bulb I got on Amazon. (BTW the dealer wanted $200 just for a HID bulb). The labor was $200 for 2 hours of work! The mechanic said there was allot of corrosion around the ballast, probably due to water damage, so hopefully my sealant will help water proof the ballast for a few years.

Excellent job, atn! It could be that this has not happened to our RX400h because it seldoms rains, here in San Diego. Only big leaks get noticed.

It looks like cduluk was correct about the ballast.

Here is an update. I took the RX400h to the Lexus dealer and they said that the entire assembly, ballast and bulb would need to be replaced. Total cost $1900! Lexus Customer Care would help by taking 10% off, had to wait 2 days for there answer. I decided not to get the work done. I purchased a ballast on Ebay for $127. I sealed the edges with some clear silicone sealant for $5. I went to my neighbor mechanic and had them removed the bumper and replaced the ballast. Everything worked fine. I think the original bulb worked fine too, but we replaced it with the $12 bulb I got on Amazon. (BTW the dealer wanted $200 just for a HID bulb). The labor was $200 for 2 hours of work! The mechanic said there was allot of corrosion around the ballast, probably due to water damage, so hopefully my sealant will help water proof the ballast for a few years.

I'm glad it worked out! You should be good with the new ballast. Do you know what type of $12 HID bulb you purchased? There are a LOT of aftermarket HID bulbs on the web which are very, VERY cheap and actually hazardous. Not from a safety perspective, but in terms of reliability and durability in the projector. Many aftermarket bulbs have been known to actually explode, if they don't burn out within a few months as most do. I wouldn't install any aftermarket bulb unless it's the OE Philips bulb, or one made by Osram.

• 10 months later...

well and update to everyone, Lexus has now stepped up and is covering the failed headlamp assemblies due to moisture. Just got my letter. They will also pay for any previous repairs on that we as owners paid. Yippieeeeeeeeeeee

Yes, I got my letter too. I guess it pays to call and complain, but I already got it fixed. I wonder if they will pay us back, if we used someone else besides a Lexus Dealer? The Dealer wanted over something over $1900 for one headlamp. I just purchased a new ballast on Ebay for $130 and had a local shop replace the ballast for like $200. Still allot of a simple head light, but better than paying $2K.