Free Vin # Car History Report Sites

Havoc123

:wub: Hi, I was looking to purchase a 1993 Lexus LS 400. But wanted to do some research on the vehicle before making the long drive from where I live to look at it. Does anyone know of a FOR REAL actually free Vin car report site. Ive gone to several sites that claim to be free, but want $29.99 and a credit card #. Hey thats not free. Can anyone help. Thank u

I would not bother with a carfax report on a 20 year old, low value car. Current condition is what is most important.

Ask for maintenance history and receipts. How many owners has this car had? How many miles does the odometer show and does its reading seem consistent with the car's condition? Are you prepared to have a mechanic inspect it before buying?

But like Steve said, $30 is a small price to pay -- even if provides only some interesting information.

I got burned the last time I used Car Fax. My report showed absolutely clean with no damage, then my insurance company found a record of a front-end collision and a hailstorm through their claims lookup network. CarFax only reports what's reported to them. I'll never waste my money there again.

• 4 weeks later...

As a car sales and buyer who know his way around cars. Here is what I do when I purchase any car.

1. Check and smell all fluids.

2. Know problems with year model

A. Coolant out tail pipes

On the LS models in the 92-up until the changed the body style pay close attention to the coolant level. Check to see if any smoke is coming out. Try and started the car cold and see if any smoke coming out. Put your hand over tail pipes to see if your hand gets moist. Could be future problems with head gaskets.

B. Power steering leaks on to starter

Sure there are more but these I have personally experienced.

3. CHECK FOR WRECKS

Next check out the car lines, lineup of doors Hood etc then check for any differences in paint. Pop Hood and look around the sides of the engine compartment to see if any bolts have been closeness that connect fenders and the front of the car. Then Check for over spray paint. Also if you can try and find VIN # on old fenders etc. Do the the same in all four doors all around the doors and the body. Then pull back the carpets in the truck near lights and see if younsee ay damage.

4. Look under car for any other leaks including all four wheels.

5. Next drive car and pay close attention to rpm Guatemala. On those cars the gauge should idle right around 3 notches . Make sure to take the car on the interstate or some place to see how it performs and excellarates. If the enginge is not worn out it should hit 70-80 with no effort.

Because you buying a really old car there is no guarantees.

Oh and one more thing the front drivers seat tells a lot about a car mileage. In the business we have a saying, High wear high mileage. You would belive how many TMUS we get or the cluster gets replaced.

other than that you don't know.

Good Luck