Coolant Leak

Mike523

I have my 92 with 102,000 torn apart to replace the rack, high pressure line & power steering pump.

Now I have a coolant leak. I appears to be coming from where the upper hose comes into the motor. Not the hose connection itself.

I'm hoping it just needs to be taken apart and resealed.

Where does the coolant show up when the water pump starts to fail??

Does the pump leak like most pumps or mechanically fail?

I hope the pumps not going out!!!

What a job!!

A failing WP will normally associate noisy bearings (going out) - whining, grindy, etc...

If this is orig. WP then it's time! It could start leaking right under it - in the front of the engine. At this age - the "gasket sealant" could be giving out also....

That upper leak could be from the Thermostat Gasket. Again, this is 12 year old car and these things are due for replacement.....I'd replace the radiator hoses too!

Do you have any history of the Timing Belt being replaced? If your replacing the WP, then you might as well do the T-Belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, and a host of other goodies....

It will leak by the weeping hole at the bottom of the bearing. It doesn't make any noise until it is nearly dead. It starts to drip slowly and as the bearing gets more play it will lose more fluid and make noise that is noticable.

It will leak by the weeping hole at the bottom of the bearing. It doesn't make any noise until it is nearly dead. It starts to drip slowly and as the bearing gets more play it will lose more fluid and make noise that is noticable.

Here's what SK's talking about.....

Replace the T'Belt!!!

insp.pdf

Pull one or both of the timing belt covers off the top of the timing belt housing and see if the belt is wet or has a rust looking coating on it. It won't hurt to run the engine with them off so see if it starts throwing coolent off them. the weep hole actually drains off to the drive side of the pump. if you do the work yourself, it shouldn't cost you more then $400 to change the pump, belt, and pulleys, and maybe two days of work. IF you have a friend who is a mechanic, get him to print you the directions from there online shop manuals. I can't remember the name the manuals but they are way better then the lexus books, I'll see if I still have a copy of them and try and get them online.

After digging a little more, the leak is coming from the thermostat piece that mounts to the water pump.

Yes, the timing belt was replaced by Lexus along with the 100+ maintenance. Ouch!!

OK, I’m listening. I’ll do the water pump. I have the Lexus Shop Manuals, which are better than any other manuals I’ve ever used. Any tips or things to watch for?

This forum is GREAT! THANKS!!

What is the "T mast O ring"?

I think he meant the O -ring that goes to the water bypass pipe (from the WP)....

There are additional O-rings and seals on the Water Inlet Housing.

Either way, there's a lot more info that goes with it ;)

VMF has the entire procedure..........he'll be along soon I imagine.

There will be plenty to do....$4-500 in parts...but that's ultra complete maintenance!

Did Lexus change the belt @ 60K....I think I've read where that's the sevice for the Gen I timing belts...? If so, maybe 120K is the mark to do this "massive undertaking". The belt is probably good thru 120K up to 150K.

PM me with your email if you want similar procedure for a 99 LS. At least you'd get all the torque's and gasket replacement. I'd personally like to know how similar the Gen I versus Gen III parts would be....