92 Ls400 Radio Problem

after years of good sound from both the radio and the cd player, both have recently stopped working. the radio is unusual in that it works sometimes, without any reason it just comes on and all station fm and am are received perfectly. however, the next time i get in the car there is no radio and it will not necessarily come on at all. has anyone experienced this sort of behaviour with a lexus ls400 radio?

• 4 weeks later...

its ussualy the amp under the passenger seat getting moisture. if the cd still shows working on the radio lcd and no sound it is the amp 99 % of the time. there are 2 amps. one is nakamichi and one is pioneer. it says which system on radio face or if covered up by woodgrain it shows on tthe cassette flap door. p for pioneer n for nakamichi.

Thank you Pioneersuby for that input. I will get it checked out and let you know. BTW I have never noticed anything under the passenger seat (LH side of car) in the way of an electrical amp box, is that common on 1991 and 92 model LS400? My car was first registered in 92, but constructed in 91.