Rear Brake Rotor

Hey, does anyone have the details on how to remove and replace the rear brake rotor on a '92 SC400? I'm sure it's a striaght forward job, but I usually like to know the general procedure before I start the job and if there's any tips/tricks to doing it.

Thanks - Jim

This is a pretty straight forward job.

Jack up the back of the car and place it on Jack Stands.

Remove the rear wheel.

There are two bolts holding on the Caliper, I think they are 14mm.

Slide the Caliper off the rotor and use a upside down bucket to rest it on or zip tie it to the shock spring, do not let it hang by the brake line.

There are two thread holes on the rotor somewhere around the studs.

Find the appropriate size bolt to thread into these holes and use them to push the rotor off the spindle.

Slip on the new rotor and reverse the other procedures.

Simple enough!

Good Luck!

:cheers:

Bandit, thanks for your help. I definitely was not aware of the part about threading bolts into the rotor to remove it from the spindle - that would have caught me off guard. I'll determine the bolt size and post it here, so that others will have the info. too.

Wait a second, "thread a bolt to remove it off of the spindle"? Is this the front or the rear? When i did my fronts, i just unbolted the caliper and took off the rotor. There shouldnt be anything securing it to the hub to my knowledge. front or rear

Wait a second, "thread a bolt to remove it off of the spindle"? Is this the front or the rear? When i did my fronts, i just unbolted the caliper and took off the rotor. There shouldnt be anything securing it to the hub to my knowledge. front or rear

When i replaced my front and rear it was the same once the calliper was off it the rotors just slid off

Sometimes the rotor gets frozen onto the hub. In that case the bolt thread thing should work. My uncle did a shortcut by taking a hammer and wacking the edges of the rotor, it's similar to hitting the cap of a jar to loosen it up.

Correction!

I said spindle for the Rear, it is actually the hub. The rear rotors are quite tight to the hubs and therefore there are two threaded holes that you can use to push the rotors off the hubs.

The fronts, in most cases, come off very freely and therefore there are no threaded holes for the front.

:cheers:

Thanks everyone, I did the rear rotor last night. The rotor was tight to the hub and a rubber hammer wasn't doing the trick, I didn't have the correct metric bolts, so I used a couple of 1/4-20 american bolts (I was throwing the old rotor out anyway, plus there are only a couple of threads in the rotor, so cross threading it was no big deal), a couple of turns an it popped right off.