Ls Hood Support Failures

natey2

I checked out a 2004 LS 430 with 75K miles, and the hood support/strut was not working to hold the hood up.

Seems kinda early to fail?

Is this a common problem on the LS?

I noticed the same on a 1998 LS 400, but that's 15 years old.

My 2000 ES 300 hood support is in excellent condition, but the car was totaled recently :(

Yes, failure of the hood supports is common. I had to replace the ones on both LS400's I've owned at about the six or seven year mark. If I keep driving my 2000 LS400, I will soon be replacing the hood struts for a second time since they are starting to fail again -- more noticable in cold weather.

Aftermarket hood struts are often available but fit is sometimes a problem. Replacement hood struts are very easy to install - perhaps five minutes per side. I bought the last set from Sewell Lexus. You may have to register on Sewell with a car forum member name to see the best price - I registered using a ClubLexus forum member name and I don't know if they take member names for this forum. I see a price of $89 each for 2004 LS430 hood struts at: http://lexus.sewellp...-2004/4538.html

If you are looking at a 2004 LS430, verify that the transmission was replaced or rebuilt under the recall. ALL 2004 LS430' transmissions had a defective "parking pall".

As usual, thanks for the invaluable info 1990LS400.

On the 2004 LS 430, the controls for the side view mirrors were not working too. Private Dealer said he'd fix the struts and side view mirror adjustment controls. Will check on the tranny.

The car test drove very nice. Awesomely smooth acceleration. No Navigation, etc. though.

I just found a 2005 LS 430 with 88K miles (and Navigation) for around the same price (under $20K); this one at a Lexus Dealership.

Gonna check it out tomorrow.

I get a little confused with the option packages since they changed with the 2005 model year. The 2005 apparently has at least the Modern Luxury Package. For the price, it is doubtful that it has the Custom Luxury Package or the rare Custom Luxury Package with PCS ... even more doubtful that it has the Ultimate Luxury Package (with or w/o PCS) which has the expensive to fix air suspension.

PCS is wonderful feature that I didn't appreciate until I experienced it in my wife's new Prius. PCS will literally slam on the brakes to stop you from hitting another vehicle or object or at least reduce the speed at impact while tighting your seatbelts. The manager of Lexus dealer owned body shop where my car was repaired last October told me that PCS and other electronic safety aids are starting to cut into his business. My next car will definitely have PCS ... it could be called "GPS" if that acronym wasn't already taken - "Geezer Preservation System".

I ended up buying the 2005 LS 430 today.

I got it for a little over $19K, from a local Lexus Dealer:

post-136523-0-39987100-1358148186_thumb.

Options:

P245/45WR18 ALL-SEASON TIRES (FT)

MODERN LUXURY PKG -inc: front climate controlled seats, heated rear seats, intuitive parking-assist, navigation system w/rear camera & Bluetooth, 240-watt Mark Levinson audio system w/(11) speakers, 4-spoke wood & leather-trimmed steering wheel w/voice command (PT-1)

SMARTACCESS (SK)

Of all the Lexus vehicles I had driven since the very unfortunate totalling of my beloved 2000 ES 300, this vehicle takes the cake (at my price range).

I'm glad I won't have to car-shop for many more years :)

And the hood struts operate fine. Dealer may have replaced them, or at the very least, cleaned them so well that they look new.

Congrats on the '05 purchase. I've driven an '04 for years, and it is still our go-to car for comfort on long trips.

Speaking of struts, the trunk struts on the LS430 do not seem to provide much lifting force, although they will hold the lid up.

Anyone know if putting new struts on the trunk lid will make much of a difference in lifting effort?

Thanks Joseph.

Just ordered 2 "StrongArm 6415" struts from Amazon.com, total cost $47(went with the "free month of shipping" offer).

Will post the SKINNY on performance in a few days.

Congrats on the '05 purchase. I've driven an '04 for years, and it is still our go-to car for comfort on long trips.

Speaking of struts, the trunk struts on the LS430 do not seem to provide much lifting force, although they will hold the lid up.

Anyone know if putting new struts on the trunk lid will make much of a difference in lifting effort?

The trunk struts go bad just as the hood struts do. Yes, if your old struts are weak, it will make a big difference in lifting effort with new struts.

Just get the strong arm ones on amazon, a lot cheaper and TONS of lifting force!!!

And some aftermarket struts have tons of closing force -- there have been a number of reports of bent LS hoods related to the use of aftermarket hood struts.

Trunk struts arrived today (StrongArm 6415) for the '04 LS430. Appearance and fit are the same as OEM struts, but with a smaller diameter piston.

They made quite a difference in lifting effort. The new struts now take over the lift load and raise the lid fully and easily. On the downside, they do make a noise, kind of a rasping sound, when opening the trunk (as a previous member experienced).

Below are measurements on lifting force (applied by your hand) on the trunk using a spring scale:

1) With no struts attached, @25 pounds of lift effort needed to lift the lid to @45 degrees,

where then the force reduces to @20 lbs, then finally, 6 lbs needed to hold the lid up when fully raised.

2) The OEM struts (9 years old) reduced the starting lift effort to 15 lbs, then 12 lbs at @45 degrees,

and 0 lbs to hold up the trunk.

3) The new StrongArm 6415 struts start also at 15 lbs initial lift effort. but then quickly taking over all lift effort,

raising the lid automatically when half-way open (45 degrees).

The upside of the new struts is that it is no longer a pain in the (fingers) to load up the trunk, and its kinda cool to let go half-way up and have the auto-lift take over. And for just 47 bucks!

The downside is in being in a big hurry to slam the trunk, thus possibly bending the support brackets. :cries:

Oh, by the way, the old struts compressed at 100 lbs each (on the spring scale). The new struts were almost double that.

Not an engineer...just a guy with too much time to kill.

By the way, I just ordered rotors and pads from Amazon for the LS430 (taking advantage of the month of free shipping).

Tired of the pulsating brake pedal that shouldn't happen on the Lexus.

Will start a new post when installed with comments on quality / performance.

• 1 month later...

My sister-in-law's 2003 RX330 hood supports failed after 8 years. She refused to pay for new ones since the service department at the dealership was the only one who opened the hood. They finally agreed and installed new ones free.

Also, my 2002 SC 430's supports for the trunk supports failed after 11 years. This trunk also opens in the opposite direction to house the roof when becoming a convertible. The dealership wanted $500 to replace the supports. I am going to search the web for replacements struts. Anybody know where I can get them?

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced trunk struts with the Amazon ones about a year ago. The rasping sound should go away with use; or I don't really notice it anymore. They had gotten pretty bad; the trunk wouldn't really stay open unless you fully pushed it open; and then it was iffy.

Now I can literally open it with one finger. it doesn't pop open like the german ones but it's much better. Definitely worth the investment.

I have used ebay's partsavenue for hood lifts for 6 different LS400, and I am waiting for my newest set to come in today or tomorrow, depending on fedex,,,,,, none of the ones I have replaced have ever had a problem and I love the 26.98 price for a pair. but I never keep a car for a long time, I just like change... and, here is my latest:

I installed my struts the 21st.

post-5365-0-72253200-1363696473_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - For all you members that have LS failed hood struts and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a factory replacement, there is an alternative. These parts are Stabilus brand, part number SG229032. Stabilus is owned by the ZF Services, a high quality manufacturer of many OEM parts.

I was able to locate a replacement strut from Auto Parts Network (800)480-8994 that is billed as an OEM replacement. I ordered two struts for $20.91 ea, and received them within two days. Unfortunately, the ball studs that screw into the body and the hood are integral with the gas cylinders on the Lexus product, so you will need four replacement ball studs also.

I realized that the ball studs are not included in the package, even though is the package is marked that they are. I contacted ZF customer service Tech Support at (800)321-0784 x 111 to obtain four 8mm x 1.25 thread ball studs, part number OBS8, and four flat 10mm washers which they were glad to mail me.

The struts fit well and hold the hood up in the same manner as when it was new.

Lexulus

95 Lexus LS400