About To Buy A 2006 Gs300 With 100K Miles

Car looks great; 100k on odometer; would like to know:

Does this car have a timing CHAIN? the seller says so and he also says that in 2007 Lexus went back to a timing belt (I'm curious why they would have done that...)

Are there any special problems that turn up in these models? I had a '99 GS300 that had the commonly occurring rear main seal gasket failure. Did Lexus master this problem by '06?

I will go through the recalls listings on lexus.com...

Is there any major maintenance am I likely to need for this model with these miles?

thanks!

Does this car have a timing CHAIN? the seller says so and he also says that in 2007 Lexus went back to a timing belt (I'm curious why they would have done that...)

Are there any special problems that turn up in these models? I had a '99 GS300 that had the commonly occurring rear main seal gasket failure. Did Lexus master this problem by '06?

Is there any major maintenance am I likely to need for this model with these miles?

thanks!

I also have a 2006 GS300, and it does NOT have a timing belt; I made sure of that before I bought it. The owner's manual is very clear on this issue. I haven't had a single problem with mine since I bought it new on 03/04/2005. Nearly 8 years, and the car looks, feels, and drives like new. What an amazing car. Good luck.

thanks!

I also have a 2006 GS300, and it does NOT have a timing belt; I made sure of that before I bought it. The owner's manual is very clear on this issue. I haven't had a single problem with mine since I bought it new on 03/04/2005. Nearly 8 years, and the car looks, feels, and drives like new. What an amazing car. Good luck.

THANKS! I bought it. What a beautiful and comfortable car...

I'm still curious as to why they would go back to a timing belt in '07... were they worried the timing chain would mean less revenue for the service department?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say cost to build the engine but not an automotive engineer. I know a number of my mechanic friends say it's related to noise and vibration the chains produce, the longer chains produce more.

I am glad to hear the 06 has a chain. less worry for later :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks!

I have a 2007 and a 2009 GS350. Both have timing chains. Not sure why your seller suggested Lexus went back to a timing belt in 2007. That is not true in my case (thankfully).