The 333000 Mile Lexus That Ran Like A Top

ah_5500

My delima:

My wifes lexus has slowly been calculating the miles. It is currently at 332,930 and has ran fine until last week. She said it had problem and when she got home, sure enough it did. It had a horrible mis, probably worse I've heard. The code was saying misfire on 2,4 and 6. I was hesitant due to the cost but I went ahead and purchased and replaced all three. Go figure, no difference.

Ran the codes again and it showed:

P0021 cam position 'A' too adv/system performance b2

P0051 afr/o2 heater control circuit low b2-s1

P0101 maf/vaf circuit range/performance

P0226 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch 'c' circuit performace

I have now replaced the camshaft postion sensor, mass air flow sensor, new plugs on front side that I previously (yesterday) replaced coils on, and I cleaned the positive battery connection because of its corrosion.

Lastly was the MAF. When the car is started (cold engine) it seems to be ok, no check engine light after new part install. After I drive it for a little while and it warms up it will start "pulsing/mising" at interstate lower rpm speeds. When I stop it is mising like crazy, doesn't even sound like the same car! The CEL comes back on when the symptoms start back.

Thank you for any help to fix this!

Aaron

Aaron,

What Pat Goss says - you need to run the test procedure that has the same name as the code. Otherwise, you are only guessing. Some of the tests require special equipment, etc., but if you compared the test procedures for all the codes, maybe finding a common denominator would be helpful.

Good luck.

Tom

Sorry, I dont know Pat Goss and am unsure the specifics of what you're getting at. I also am not positive on reading the codes so thats why I put it all up vs just the numbers, if thats what you are refering to. I thought I was going in a prodedure/order by replacing the parts that were coming up as a bad part. Anyone else have input on this?

Update: Now the brakes seem to be barely working. There is plenty of brake fluid. I'm leaning towards a vacuum leak? If someone could please help would be awesome. This is a daily driver so we're in a bad spot come Monday. Any help appreciated.

Aaron: Google for "rx300 diagnostics pdf".

When multiple codes are present often there is a single problem which cascades out affecting multiple sensors. Clear the codes, and then wait for the first one. For example, one bad coil can lead to multiple misfire codes. I usually swap the coil from the second one reported to the first, and see if the order changes. When it does I know which one is bad.

When the CEL is turned on the car goes into 'limp' mode, and the engine will be rough. It seems to me the car goes rough a few seconds before the CEL illuminates.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron,

Except for the brake issue it seems that your problem seems to be linked to one bank of cylinders, almost negating the possibility of an aggregate engine problem; ie a bad Mass Airflow sensor problem should by all rights affect the entire engine and not just one bank. Have you checked the VVTi actuator for that banks intake cam (especially since that is the very first code on your list)? I can imagine a bad actuator can create all sorts of havoc on the engine. What about the upstream O2 sensor, and possibly even the lower manifold gasket on that side of the engine? Also I'd check your timing belt as well, if that thing breaks your engine is toast. Just FYI on the MAF sensor, if you get a lean on BOTH banks and you swear you've replaced both upstream o2 sensors and it did nothing to fix the issue, REPLACE do not clean that MAF sensor and I bet the problem goes away.

Good luck with your TS'ing

Experinced 1MZFE owner/ troubleshooter - horrible horrible engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the response! A few weeks I changed the oil because it needed it and it actually seemed to help. The RX had been running seemingly fine for the most part with it very occasionally acting up. Today it went back down hill. I will be doing some more reseach with your thoughts in mind. Any ideas why the oil change would make a difference?

Thanks,

Aaron