How To Replace The Molding

Greetings all,

Like most of newbies, I'm glad to find this very informative forum where there're a lot helpful folks around. With that said, I need some help on the following two things:

- the outside molding between the two windows of the car on the driver's side has come loose because some of the clips are broken. Would any of you happen to know how to replace it or at least point me to where I can search for more info? any web sites that sell lexus parts that I should check out? I search this forum but could not find anything.

- what does the 60K service include?

I appreciate any help.

Lexuman

Thanks for replying skperformance

It's a piece of plastic that's between the front and rear windows. It's black for my car. Lexus dealer quoted $55 for that. Now I just need instructions on how to install it. Please post if you know how. thanx

I had the same experience on ES300, 97 -- the right side molding between doors got the tops of the clips holding it broken and the molding was "flapping". After the second try with the very strong epoxy -- dumped on the clips and then pushed on the molding -- it stayed on for few months.

To replace -- you would probably need to "unlock" the molding from the clips and then either clip new one on or replace the clips as well.

Good luck,

Alex

Thanks, Alex

You were talking about the white plastic clips (several of them) that are not part of the molding, right? I can buy them separately from the molding?

Do you think putting the molding is a DIY? Thanks.

Yes, I am talking about the white "clips". I am sure that you can buy them. My problem was that the "receiving" part on the molding where the clips would snap was broken. If you have the same issue -- you should not need new clips, just the new molding to snap on existing ones.

Still... I would pull the molding off from the bottom (very gently) put the epoxy (I used Magnum Epoxy Steel from VersaChem) on the clips opposite to the loose molding and press the molding very hard and wait for about 10 minutes while pressing it. Of course, this is not a "Lexus" solution, but it works.

Please, feel free to send me a private message and I can give my e-mail for any questions.

Good luck,

Alex

Thanks for replying, Alex. I thought I would post it here instead of private email so others who are following our discussion and having a same problem can benefit from.

I have the same problem as yours. My white clips are still good. Howerver, some clips (maybe 2) are loose, meaning they're not tightly attached to the body frame. Hence, I'm afraid, once installed the new molding won't be held tightly as supposed to.

You mentioned the second time the use of epoxy. It's not just a matter of snapping the new molding in? What if, for some reason, you need to remove the molding then you'll have to "rip" the whole thing?

also, could you describe a bit more of "I would pull the molding off from the bottom (very gently)...". I tried to remove the old molding but it seems stuck at the top part. I felt like I wasn't doing it correctly so I did not force it.

Thank you very much for your help, Alex.

PS. I'd also like to know whether or not Toyota dealers sell NGK: BKR6EKPB11 spark plugs. I called one dealer and they only have the Nippon Denso PK20TR11 (used on the Camry). what's the difference? Thanks

You are right, the major concern with epoxy is that if I will need to replace the molding -- I will likely need to pull the "white clips" out... And... after reading your latest description more carefully... you might have a bit iof a different problem. My white clips were not loose -- very snugly fit to the body, the molding snaps themselves were broken. They look like [ ] from inside of the molding.

My molding was "flapping" like a wing. I never pulled the molding off, the top clip(s) are still in good shape. I would think that you should be able to do it. Or... pay the guys at Lexus for a half hour of labor to replace it. It should not take any longer then this (perhaps, even 10 minutes since they should of done it before).

As far as spark plugs... I took my car to Toyota dealership for the maintenace and they installed the platinum ones (at least that what I was told). You are correct, based on Haynes manual the type should be: NGK BKR6EKPB-11 or equivalent for Lexus 98 and earlier. It specifies the same for Camry, Solara and Avalon. Maybe, Nippon Denso PK20TR11 is equivalent?...

Hope this helps,

Alex