94 Ls Making Noise

1UZ-FE

some of you guys are probably gonna think i'm dumb but whenever i a.) do a doughnut, b.) do a powerslide(drift) around a turn, or c.) go above 100mph, something under the hood makes a noise. its almost like a whining sound. it goes with the speed of the engine and not the tranny. its really hard to explain but it would seem like its coming from the power steering area. i also think that its the power steering making noise because the steering wheel feels different and is a little harder to turn at slow speeds (between 0 and 10mph) when this noise is present. it goes away after a day or 2 and sometimes even later the same day. HELP!!

IUZ-FE

My guess is that something like a wire, hose or shroud is loose and rubbing. Probably on the serpentine belt, but something could be sticking into the fan blade.

Of course the MOST likely cause is that you really heated everything up causing the two turbo powered accessory fans to cut on, which is what you hear whirring and why it goes aways. They are hard to get to turn on and most people have never heard them.

Don't tease us here. We want pictures or video or the burnouts and doughnuts to verify the cause of the problem. (Done on a closed course by a professional driver of course).

Denny

if they are fans that are coming on b/c of heat, howcome they only come on when abusing the car in general? i never hear it when i floor it in a strait line and it downshifts and shifts ar redline. i only hear it after a doughnut, powerslide, or high speed run. the fans should come on after flooring it in a strait line if doing that makes heat and it does. im confused.

those fans are for A/C system, they have nothing to do with heat removal from the engine.

next time the sound is gonna be there open the hood and listen to the engine with a screwdriver or any pipe and locate the part where noise is most evident

or go to Sears and buy an engine stethescope. They are very sensitive and should help pinpoint the noise. it is also cool to whip them out when friends are around as it really makes you look like you know what you are doing.

If this car is driven like this quite often, then you are lucky that this is the only "noise" that you hear from it. Because I am sure many more will soon follow. Maybe even the sounds of sirens may be heard. :D Good luck.