My 2000 Es 300 - Totaled

natey2

A 2002 Jeep Liberty rear-ended my 2000 ES 300 while I was stopped at a red light.

It was a low-speed collision, but the Jeep's bumper is higher than my ES 300's, so the ES 300 trunk took the full impact :(

Cost of repair exceeds Blue Book value of car, and there was unibody damage according to the insurance adjuster, so I'm bidding farewell to one of the best cars I have owned.

The Jeep's front license plate fell off, and some minor scratches on its front bumper. AND THAT'S IT!

Watch out for those Jeeps.

post-136523-0-05154700-1357421572_thumb.

post-136523-0-78539400-1357421599_thumb.

Ouch! ... makes my October $7,700 rearend crash repair to my 2000 LS400 look like a fleshwound. What was the damage repair estimate and the insurance value of your car? The value of a car for insurance purposes is often (usually?) substantially higher than its market (Bluebook) value.

If you want it repaired, nothing is stopping you. When I thought my 00 LS might be "totaled" due to the damage, I found that I would be able to fund the repair myself, avoid a dreaded salvage title and that after the repair my insurance company would have insured it as if nothing happened as long as it was repaired to their standard. As it turned out, the damage repair estimate was well below the threshold of being totaled so I didn't have to go that route.

My point is that you have options if you don't want to walk away from your "best car". My 00 LS came out better than new after the repair. I had a 90 LS rear ended in 1999 at least as badly as your ES - $10,000+ repair way back then - and it was repaired perfectly and was good for another 175,000 miles.

My 2000 ES 300 (Insurance provided numbers below) -

ACV: $9800

Repair estimate: $8500 (may be higher, once they take the car apart and discover new things)

Scrap/Salvage value: $1850

So, I could keep the ES 300 with a Salvage Title and get $7950 from Insurance, but I have to try and fix it on my own.

I didn't want to tow my car around looking for more repair estimates, etc. so I think I'll look for another car with the $9800 they'll give me for totaling it.

I hate shopping for cars... And I hate to say this here, but right now, I'm leaning towards a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 with 60K miles that is going for around $20K.

I hate shopping for cars... And I hate to say this here, but right now, I'm leaning towards a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 with 60K miles that is going for around $20K.

Me too ... I'd rather go to the dentist. If you can take your time, I think you could find a very nice 2006 Lexus LS430 with similar or lower miles for the same price as that E350.

But if you have never owned a Mercedes, maybe it's your turn in the barrel. As my forum signature says: "Lexus LS owner since 1990. Mercedes owner 1969-1990, reformed!"

I test drove a used MB (E350) and a BMW (328i) for the first time, very recently. The E350 seemed to handle much nicer than my ES 300. Much smaller turn-radius too, which is one thing I didn't like about my ES 300.

But I just finished doing more online research; it appears the E350 can be a VERY expensive car to maintain, especially when major things quit working and it is out of the extended warranty.

But some people who have owned it for many years appear to be very happy with it.

I guess owning a 1988 Camry V6LE for 14 years, and then a 2000 ES 300 for 10 years, really spoiled me: I assume every car will be as reliable, which is probably a very bad assumption. And maybe that's why I was looking for a change from a different manufacturer too.

The LS is a V8, and I'd really prefer a more economical V6. I really can't think of a time when I found my V6 underpowered.

If it weren't for the often gender-stereotyped RX, I'd probably be looking for an RX now.

I test drove a used MB (E350) and a BMW (328i) for the first time, very recently. The E350 seemed to handle much nicer than my ES 300. Much smaller turn-radius too, which is one thing I didn't like about my ES 300.

Thats the RWD vs FWD. Bear in mind too that the E350 is a much more expensive car than the ES.

The LS is a V8, and I'd really prefer a more economical V6. I really can't think of a time when I found my V6 underpowered.
The LS is a V8, but its very economical. Mileage will be similar to your ES. You should really drive an LS before you decide. The LS rides like no other car.

The LS is a V8, but its very economical. Mileage will be similar to your ES. You should really drive an LS before you decide. The LS rides like no other car.

The gas mileage of the 98 Camry V6 my wife drove for 14 years averaged only about 3 mpg more than the 2000 LS400 V8 I've driven since 2003. Gas mileage of the 04-06 LS430 with its 6-speed automatic is at least as good as it is in my older LS.

OK, I'm gonna check out the LS.

The used-car dealership that was trying to sell me the 328i (BTW, I also bought my 2000 ES 300 (used) from them 10 years ago) also has a 1998 LS400 with 119K miles for $10K. Would I be much better off looking for a newer LS 400/430 (for around $20K)?

The used-car dealership that was trying to sell me the 328i (BTW, I also bought my 2000 ES 300 (used) from them 10 years ago) also has a 1998 LS400 with 119K miles for $10K. Would I be much better off looking for a newer LS 400/430 (for around $20K)?

Drive it and see what you think. Is it in good shape, maintenance records? Has the timing belt been replaced? Just bear in mind, a 1998 LS is going on 15 years old...

Yes the mercedes are fantastic with the turn radius, however the downsides are as you mentioned. The LS is a nice car....good luck in your quest.

OK, I'm gonna check out the LS.

As much as I like my 2000 LS400, the 2001-up LS430 has huge advantages over the 98-00 LS400 besides having more value that might keep it being totaled by a rear end crash. Here is a summary of what changed year-by-year up to 2004: http://www.lexls.com...enerations.html

Equipment available on the 2005 LS430 can be viewed at: http://www.lexus.com...2005LSspecs.pdf

Equipment available on the 2006 LS430 can be viewed at: http://www.lexus.com...ry/LS/2006.html

If I was going to buy a late model LS430, I would consider only a 2005 or 2006 with the Custom Luxury Package and PCS (Pre-Collision System). Radar Cruise control was used on the 2005 and 2006 LS430 with the Custom Luxury Package. I would avoid any of the earlier LS430's with the more troublesome laser cruise control. I will not buy another car without PCS or its equivalent.

The Ultra Luxury package of the LS430 sounds fun and is wonderful but its air suspension and rear seat toys can make it more expensive to maintain and it can be quite a bit more expensive to buy as a used car.

All LS430's have an audio system that can accept a variety of interface products for iPod, sat radio, etc. The navigation system in all years of the LS430 is still viable and can be updated. The navigation system of the 98-00 LS400 was horrible and no updates were available after 2004 -- avoid it like the plague.

Good luck.

Thanks for that incredibly useful information, 1990LS400!

But the 2006 LS430 vehicles I see around here are a little over my price range ($25K and up).

I test drove the 1998 LS 400, and it seemed fine to me. The hydraulic pistons that are supposed hold the hood up don't hold the hood up anymore, and I'm not sure what it would take/cost to fix that. There doesn't seem to be a bar to hold the hood up.

I also see a 2000 LS 400 (Platinum Series with 85K original miles; same color combination as my 2000 ES 300 Platinum Series, and similar mileage too!) going for $12K. Owner sounds like a meticulous guy with maintenance. It is about 80 miles away, but I am going to check it out this weekend, if it is not already gone by then.

Modify the URL I gave you for the 2005 LS430 information to see similar information for 1990-2004 LS model years including the 1998 regular and 2000 Platinum series LS400. There are three different Platinum Series LS400's: SE (basic with 01 LS430 wheels, "lizard leather", maple wood, floor mats, etc.), SF (same as basic + Nakamichi and heated seats), SG (same as basic + the horribly obsolete navigation and heated seats). I've got the "SF". Some Platinums SF's and SG's have air suspension - don't go there!

I've been in on several discussions on the ClubLexus forum about how crazy-high the prices of used LS cars are in California. The two best areas I've seen where prices for used LS cars are more reasonable are in Phoenix/Scottsdale and south Florida.

$12,000 seems incredible high for a 2000 LS400 even with fairly low miles. I've seen a couple of very nice early LS430's with fewer miles than that with asking prices about the same where I live but the sales were by private parties.

$12,000 seems incredible high for a 2000 LS400 even with fairly low miles. I've seen a couple of very nice early LS430's with fewer miles than that with asking prices about the same where I live but the sales were by private parties.

I will get about $10K for my 2000 ES 300 from Insuarance, so $12K for a 2000 LS 400 seems like a good deal (I bet the price difference between those cars when they were new was very significant).

My Insurance just informed me that my 30-day free car-rental benefit is being cut down to 2 weeks (ending 1/14/2013), because my car was totaled and is not going to be repaired. They find every which way to get out of paying what they are supposed to. I have less time to look for what I want now... hopefully a 2004 or newer LS...

I got myself a 2005 LS 430 now:

post-136523-0-77135200-1358149666_thumb.

Vrooommmm! :)

Gotta read all these manuals and find out how to use all these gadgets/features.

Thanks to all who helped/provided info!

And watch out for those Jeeps out there.