Sold My '09 Es 350

peteanello

I wanted to buy a 2013 ES, but did not like the joystick like controller or they way the Nav screen was set so far back, close to the windshield. I went with a '13 Toyota Avalon Limited with the Technology Pkg and absolutely love it. It has the perfect ride.

Yep, the Avalon limited is very cool - especially with the inexpensive Technology Package that gets you PCS which I have decided is a necessity on my next car. It's looking like an Avalon Hybrid Limited is in my future -- sooner than later.

Congratulations!

I agree about the joystick in the 2013 ES 350 being awkward. The reason they have to use the joystick is that the screen is set further back to make way for the other controls. There is no way you can reach forward while driving to touch the screen. Apparently the BMW also uses some sort of joystick to access the screen. Perhaps this was Lexus's way of trying to compete with the BMW. But I agree that using the joystick is a step backwards when the touchpad metaphor is the way forward. It is not as easy to access as the touchscreen in my previous 2010 ES 350. But still, I do like the ES 350 in general. The ride is great. The 2013 interior is much improved from my 2010. I like the way the dashboard looks compared to the 2010's ugly horseshoe shaped dashboard.

I got used to the remote controller in my new GS pretty quickly. I found you have to set the resistance all the way to high.

Joysticks are the way of the future, almost everyone uses a joystick controller now. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti...there are just so many controls, menus and functions in cars, the touchscreen interface is just too complicated.

I recently bought a new Audi with their MMI controller. At first I really missed the touch screen that was on our 2010 ES350. After a brief adjustment period I'm getting comfortable with the controller. I agree with SW they are the wave of the future vs. touchscreens for controlling all of the necessary functions..

Mmmmmm.......it's probably just my poor sense of observation, but over the last year or so, it seems like there are fewer and fewer members of the Lexus Owners Club that are actually driving a Lexus product anymore.

If this is actually a trend, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. From one perspective, it keeps Lexus on it's toes by listening to it's customers "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on features like the joy stick. (Personaly, the touch screen was Warp speed faster, but the joy stick allows for a more powerful software package.) It also informs the rest of us about whats better about the Lexus or what we're lacking that we die hards should be demanding. Competition is good and is the engine of change and improvement.

If you no longer like the Lexus line, or have moved to another manufactuer, do you want to still want to be a part of the Club site?

If so, why?

Happy New Year!!!!!

Paul

Paul

I owned back to back ES350's (2007 & 2010), so for 6+ years I was driving basically the same car. It was time for a change. Both Lexus were all I could ask for in a car. Problem free and comfortable for long trips etc. I could easily go back to a Lexus in the future.

In the meantime I still enjoy hearing what other owners and non-owners have to say about the brand.

One thing I will miss, after switching to the Avalon Limited, is the Lexus Service Department. Hands down, they are number One. I think my wife is ready to get out of her '04 RX330, and don't know if she will opt for a Lexus. But I will stay a member of this site to stay current in what is happening.