Oil Control Valve Broke In Half - How To Remove?

quarx300

1999 RX300 with ~215,000mi. Intermittently rough idle, worse when warm, and CEL code p1354. Searched CL forums and symptoms seemed consistent with a sludged bank 2 OCV.

• Picked up a new one from the dealer, but when I tried to remove the old one it wouldn't slide out. Seemed to freely rotate circumferentially, but wouldn't budge when trying to pull it out.
  • As a check I loosened the bank 1 OCV which slid right out without any problems.
  • Tried more force prying on bank 2 OCV's mounting tab with a screw driver - caused the whole OCV to break in half.

Now half of the OCV is stuck in the engine head and I can't figure out how to remove it. Tried to grab the lip with channel locks, then tried to sliding in a machine screw to use as a hook for pulling it out from the inside. Neither caused it to budge. Searched the internet and I found this happening to a Toyota Yaris owner who said he resolved the problem with a screw extractor, but I'm worried that metal filings could get loose in the head and mess things up.

1. Broken OCV next to new OCV post-145804-0-77525600-1355600871_thumb.
  2. Old OCV close-up post-145804-0-36651900-1355600816_thumb.
  3. Other half of OCV is stuck! post-145804-0-67629900-1355600901_thumb.

Do any creative mechanics out there have a good solution to get this thing out?

Thanks so much in advance!

-Mark

Follow - up in case anyone else has a similar problem:

The inside of the OCV finally came out by sliding a #8 Truss-head 2" machine screw in head first, fiddling with it until the head was firmly placed in one of the OCV's grooves, and pulling with a 16" pair of channel locks (Not enough power with the 8").

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I too had similar problem. Here is what you can do or something similar. 

1) if the broken solenoid piece has the central piston then pry it out until the outer shell has the central hole open. 

2) use a plastic drywall anchor that splits and widens as a screw is screwed in place  (Here is a google image for reference: https://images.app.goo.gl/pG6D6JoxJiS2xBss9)

3) With the plastic anchor inserted into the center of the broken solenoid and then screw in place the screw till it all feels tight and in place. 

4) this is the tricky part. Find something that is able to grab on to the head of the crew. I used a metal vise grip clam

- make sure it is positioned so to provide a lever-like setup; it made mine to have the body of engine as the fulcrum (center pivot). 

5) now using the clamp as a lever use a hammer to tap carefully to force the stuck part out.