Start Locks Me Out? Immobilizer?

pj8708

On two occasions within a week of having my new 13' ES350, I've gotten in the car with the FOB in my pocket, and pushed the start button. Nothing happens.

The door is shut tightly, my seat belt is buckled, the shift is in park, the battery is charged, the car was unlocked when I approached and when I grabbed the door handle, and the car does not have a remote start.

I am truly stumped. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because as any of you know, with an intermitant problem like this it wouldn't do any good.

My only guess is the engine immobilizer and the link to the security system. Now this mornig when this happened I did noticed the little yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle of the triangle. ( on the 2013 the yellow triangle is in the middle/center of the instrumrnt cluster.

Either I'm doing something wrong or there is a bug in the system.

Any ideas?

Paul

Label your keys A and B , use each independently to determine if it is a key or not. There are several things to notice when approaching the car,the puddle lights come on at the base of the mirrors, when in the car the start button should indicate green with the brake pushed when getting ready to start.

There is a possibility of stored codes, your dealer can scan for related body codes.

There are thirty steps that are processed to get the function "start". Jimmy.

The only warning light I'm seeing that MAY be out of the ordinary is the yellow triangle "Master Warning Light". There is no other sound. The hard part about this is that I have put my foot on the brake, and at the same pushed the start button as you normaly would. And, as normal, this starts the "systems check" sequence. For these few seconds all of the instrment panel lights are on including the Master Warning light. However, when this "no start" condition happens all the lights stay on until by some magic I hit the right combo and it goes into the start mode.

I will check the A&B keys and also check to see if the key detector is activated.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Paul

OK. As always, you folks are great and always there with help. Thanks to each of you.

As you would expect, nothing has happened since our last exchange. I've been watching the instrument panel each time I start the car and nothing out of the ordinary is coming up.

I've made an appt. for this Tuesday to 1, have them pull the codes, but my gut tells me thats a long shot. 2. The dealer is going to swap the Brigestone (Turanza?) for a new set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's. I just told them that the Bridgestone suck and they know, The majority of 146,000 members of the LOC agree that the Primacy is by far the best. Every time I buy a new car they always swap them out for me at no charge.

I'll get back after they read the codes and see if we come up with any thing.

Merry Christmas!!

Paul

Is your village missing it's Idiot? ....I'm available, will work for gasoline!

Well, it happened again. Every warning light and normal start-up "System Check " light all stuck in the full on position. The climate control fan running. The seat belt buckled, door open and closed twice. In and out of the car to reset the security system. Shift lever moved from Park to Drive several times with brake applied/un-applied. Parking brake applied and released. More checks that I can't remember. Oh, yes. Held the remote key 3 inches away from Start-Stop button.

While I was sitting there in my Dentist parking lot (Yea, i'd just come out from getting my Christmas root canal) I was trying to figure out what to do. Call Santa's Towing Service?....to exspensive. So I called the dealer and talked to my service advisor. We've talked about this problem before and because it's a 2013, everyone's scracthing their heads. The advisor went and pulled in their Master Mechanic. Designation by Lexus itself, one of first techs with Lexus, began in 1990.

He asked me if there was a red or green light showing on the start stop button. I said there's no light. He asked if I was able to move the steering wheel. I said no. He said put your foot on the brake, try to turn the wheel as much as you can. Now push the start button.

I drove to the dealer and gave him a big hug, and promised him a golden 1990 Lexus in Lexus heaven.

Paul

Steering wheel locked up and preventing it from starting. That used to happen to me on the 2003, couldn't turn the key...

At least you figured it out!

I couldn't help but laugh. I was thinking it must be something high tech, and here it was a very simple thing that as you pointed out has been around for years. I guess we should start with the simple first. LOL