Mark Levinson Or Not To Mark Levinson Stereo?

I am interested in a later model GS350 or even a hybrid. I presently have an 02 es300 but want to switch cars to a GS yet in Ontario they are quite rare to find. I found an 07 GS350 with Ultra pkg but without the Mark levinson sound but the regular stereo instead. I'm quite a freak about music and found that the base stereo in the car was lacking. I walked away from the deal because of the lack of a Mark Levinson system yet I love the car. Was it that levels on the base stereo weren't correct or is it that murky? Is the mark Levinson that much better and worth my walking away from this low km red beauty? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Fernicus and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club!.

Like you, I am picky about the quality of the sound in my car. Good music is one of the true blessings in life.

But here, I think you might have gotten your priorites mixed up. The car cost the most, does the most, puts you in harms way the most, and can drain your bank account the most if you need a major repair. If the timing belt breaks, the Mark Levinson isn't going to help one wit towards fixing the problem or reducing the repair cost.

So IMO, the low miles of this car, the service records that should come with it to tell you how well it's been taken care of, and the over all reliable condition of the car are number one on the priority list.

The Levinson is an awesome system. Rated near the top above almost all other custom luxury car audio packages. Such as Boston, Harmon, Bang & Olfsun, Bose, etc. IF you can find a great GS with the ML, go for it. Since the ML runs about $2500 new, you can put a super aftermarket in that red GS and enjoy great sound.

Paul

I agree with Paul. The ML is great, but I've come across my first trouble. The Nav reader isn't talking to the central stereo anymore. The reader will cost me $350 and if the problem is on the central stereo side, the headunit will cost me around $1500. BTW these prices are discounted.

What ever GS you end up with in the end, buy the extended warranty.

• 1 month later...

Hey Fernicus, hope this is not too late to be of interest to you. Sounds to me like the system may have had problems. You said "Was it that levels on the base stereo weren't correct or is it that murky?" I have an IS with stock sound and an LS with the Levinson. Yes the ML is definately better but excluding it the IS has one of the best factory installed sound systems I have heard. I have only driven one GS and didn't test the sound at the time but I can't see any Lexus sedan rolling off the line with sound that could be called murky unless you added "compared to the ML". I find when evaluating a stereo you must zero all tone controls and rely solely on the volume control to assess power and clarity. Tone controls are for later after you get a feel for the system. Many people butcher the sound of otherwise good systems by excessive use of bass and treble and that is also a good way to blow drivers (lots of forum posts on that issue). My opinion, if I was hunting for a car and had two great choices the ML would decide it, all else being equal but I wouldn't pass up a great deal just on that.

I guess it's a personal choice but if you can find a car at a great deal I would hop on it.

If you are purchasing the car getting a quality aftermarket system should be a lot easier that finding a great car.

If you are leasing then I would not add any upgrades to a leased vehicle - I'm not sure if you are even allowed to do such a thing but I would never lease not unless it's for a business entity,

Hello, I have a LS460 with a ML stereo. I have had other car stereos with more punch when listening to rock. The ML has

execellent sound quality and sounds great with any type of music, but I feel it is targeted more for jazz , micheal buble and music like that. Don't get me wrong , any music sounds great, but if your expecting a system with a real heavy punch , this system may not be for you. My Infiniti fx had a bose system with alot of punch. Punch meaning mid bass punch. hope this helps.

Tom

Agree with many of the posts here.

Pluses of ML ; A great sound system and it does sound great with jazz. I think it's fine with rock music as well, but I do understand Doorman's point. It's all a matter of taste and aesthetics. I have a 2004 SC 430. I roll with the top & windows down and have incredible sound. I think great sound while driving is one of the true joys of motoring. And, yes, as someone stated, I believe it works best with levels 'zeroed out.' Initial reviews of the ML sound system, when product debuted, said as much. Technicians and engineers, designing for higher ends of the audio market, will say the same.

Minuses: Well, it's all been said before. I've heard some say it's too bright (okay... that's a matter of taste - you've got to find what system sounds right and works for you). Also, it is true that ML blows out. Simple to complex fixes are posted throughout this site. I've been fortunate in that when I purchased my car, I also purchased a 3 year bumber-to-bumper. Honestly, it has paid for itself with, in less than a year, both door panel speakers blowing out... In ML's defense, my car is almost a decade old.

As for your dilemna, I don't think it's much of one. You are buying a car. if you love the car, there are plenty of great aftermarket products out there that will more than suffice. I wouldn't walk away from a great car/deal just because of the sound system, unless you can do better costwise (Simply put: Does cost of car + new sound system = way too much dough... could you do better elsewhere? And, of course, if cost and the sound system is an issue, you could try ot negotiate the price down a bit to cover paying for a new sound system. I've seen truly great systems for just under, or around, $1,000 that would work for your car. At this end of the market, more money = usually equals superior product. Thanks for the conversation!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Fernicus,

I am a professional musician and I bought (new) a 2006 SC430. I love the car, but I'm not at all impressed with the Mark Levinson stereo. I think it's probably just a name that is supposed to elicite oohs and ahhs. To my ear, it does not deliver even adequate sound. The sound is tinny and artificial. I put Alpine Stereos in all of my previous vehicles, and I thought they were pretty great.

If you find a car you really like, buy it. You can always get a good stereo.

Dear Fernicus,

I am a professional musician and I bought (new) a 2006 SC430. I love the car, but I'm not at all impressed with the Mark Levinson stereo. I think it's probably just a name that is supposed to elicite oohs and ahhs. To my ear, it does not deliver even adequate sound. The sound is tinny and artificial. I put Alpine Stereos in all of my previous vehicles, and I thought they were pretty great.

If you find a car you really like, buy it. You can always get a good stereo.

Ouch!!! I thought so too at first when I first heard it, but after a few adjustments and 3 months later it grew on me. Give it some time.