Horsepower To The Wheels

Mr. O

hey everyone i was just wondering whats the best way to boost the amount of HP my engine is getting to the wheels without actualy boosting the HP of my engine (yes that means no turbo). Would pulleys do the trick or something along those line? If anyone can help by naming some optines and brands that would be great. Thnka you for any help.

Mr. O

im to as of confused :huh: ? you want more hp to the wheel without adding hp to your engine? so you dont want to mod the engine correct? if thats it then you need to do a tourqe converter, rear diff, get a new flywheel. thats the only thing you can do to your car that would make it faster without tweaking the engine. oh yah you can lighten you car as well with c/f parts and lighter brakes and rims, take out your spare tire blah blah blah.

why not just do a BFI, full exhaust, and cams? youll get much better hp gains over all that other stuff and for just around the same price. stay away from pullys.

Why stay away from pulleys?????? BFI cheap, full exhaust not so cheap neither is cams, torque convetor lextreme has priced really cheap, I mean its just the combo in general its all about putting together a good system overall not just dropping weight here or jsut adding a cam and exhaust. HP is a tricky thing and sometimes the simplest things can give you good power gains othertimes it needs to be coupled with other items. I guess it all depends on your budget really.

The only other thing I would suggest that southern didn't suggest would be a one piece Aluminum (or other lighter material) Driveshaft. There's a guy around (or was) www.partstrader.com that made custom Toyota driveshafts. I've seen two different ones, for a MKIII and MKIV and they were extremely well done. Again this was like.. 6 years ago, but I'm sure we could hunt down a driveshaft if you really wanted one.

well if we are talking about an underdrive pulley i would have to say NO big time. our cars use alot of electricity with the stereo, seats, sunroof, and all sorts of other things. now if you get a under pulley it will decrease the use of your alternator, and that could really screw you up in the long run. i highly suggest you not go that route unless your making your car a track only car

By the time you add the cost of all those NA bolt on performance parts and include labor, you have nearly reached the cost of forced induction. That is my rationale. But if that is what is desired - normally aspirated performance, that is - by all means - go for it.

i've been trying to look for soem differential gears for my 400 for a long time. does anyone know of a good one and where i can get it?

i'm also looking for supra tt seats. would anyone know if they are automatic or manual adjust seats? if auto, can it plug right into the sc's wiring easily? and how much should i expect for just two front seat from toyota?

Seats from toyota? A lot of money. Cost the same as Corbeau's or whatever. I've seen Sparco seats and stuff in leather with all the electronical goodies and what not. Even seat heaters. Probably won't just plug in though.

Not sure about gears but I thought I read that the SC3 rear will go in there. So anything that would fit in a SC3 will work in a SC4. As long as the input is the same.

the only ways to get more HP to the wheels are 1) increase engine HP output or

2) reduce HP losses (friction etc) in the driveline

at one time I read some info claiming that certain synthetic oils/additives would reduce internal friction losses, but the differences were trivial.

you can also improve performance by changing the diff gearing. i have to dust off an old engineering book to see if that really fits the definition of getting more HP to the wheels though

The supra TT leather seats bolt right on to my sc300. My seats didn't come with seat belt buckles so I took the stock seat buckles and they fit. The only problem is that there is a metal tab sticking out of the supra seat so it limits the travel of the buckle. Solution: took a hacksaw and 2 minutes later both seat buckles work great.

Both seats are each 20 lbs less than stock sc300 leather w/ power no heat. The driver side has tilt slide and manual butt height adjustment. Passenger is all manual tilt slide. There's no memory features and it is a little difficult to plug the two wires from the supra onto the Lexus seat (there's 11 or so wires on the Lexus seat, but the wire colors are the same for supra and lexus). You have to take a thin flathead screwdriver and try to pry out the two pins from the supra seat so it'll just slide right into the lexus seat.

I have some picture posted in the gallery. I think it's page 17?

Ebay has a set of block cloth supra seats. I doubt they are power, but sell for $150. I got my 94ish seats with substantial wear for $100 pickup.

Oh btw, I had this annoying rear noise in the back, and it happened to be a faulty wheel bearing. Thanks to my uncle the noise is gone now. How much hp do you think a faulty wheel bearing might rob?

If you get thinner economy tires (i.e. from a prius), there'll be less rolling resistance and definitely takes up less hp. Aerodynamics also help. A rear spoiler will reduce drag from .32 to .31, so .1/.32 is about a 3% reduction in drag.

a faulty wheel bearing, or a sticking brake caliper can rob some horsepower through friction losses.

a discharged battery, or use of electrical accessories can take up a few extra HP turning the alternator.

at one time, we used to take the fan belt off the A/C compressor (old GM cars) to free up a few HP. of course we only wore tee shirts in those days, so the heat didn't seem so bad.