Possible Seat Replacement

blake918

The driver's seat in my car looks miserable, so I'm thinking I'm going to go with a seat out of a totaled car. Here's one that I found. The guy said that they had some trim pieces sitting on the seat that caused the leather to have those indentions. He said that they should go away in a few days. Is this true?? Other than that, this seat looks pretty good to me!

seat.jpg

:cheers:

I ordered everything today from Park Place Lexus-wires, rotors, caps, wiper blades, antenna mast, gear shift indicator, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter($40..wow!!!), fuel filter, and the front parking light assembly...got all of this for $400...not too bad! I ordered the plugs from a different website...I want to say LBJ(???) Motorsports. I got all 8 Denso Plugs for $94 shipped to my door.

Here's my old seat

DSC00317.sized.jpg

All of the other seats get an A++ for their condition after almost 10 years and 225k...all of the other seats are fine. They have no wear marks, rips, or tears. They were dirty, but that dirt wasn't anything that my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser couldn't handle! They lightened up a few shades after I cleaned them. Once it gets closer to the typical 90s-100s down here, I'm going to buy some leatherique which will make the seats perfect.

Ya see that jacket in the passenger seat? That's my seat hider for when the car is parked...the drivers seat makes the car look really, really bad as yall can see :blushing: ! Wait, let me get a pic of the console too! That's even scaryer(sp?). That pic doesn't show the seat for all it is...let me get a better 1!

Console and better seat pics

Hey Blake:

Why not just replace the seat covers with some new ones. I know SW03ES will agree with me on this.

Wow, that's crazy; how did you get all of those items for $400, but I'm dissapointed with the Spark plugs price? I paid $20 bucks for mine ;).

Did the previous owner have a dog or rough kids? :blushing:

Those seats make my stomach hurt :blink:

You and me both!!! ;)

UCF3, bookmark http://www.newlexusparts.com . OEM Lexus parts at rediculous prices. For the plugs, I just typed in Denso sprak plugs at yahoo, and I think they were the first store. Some of the more expensive places had them for $12-$13.50, but I found them for $11.25. New seat covers would be a lot more than I wanted to spend. I will probably get that seat for $300-$350; then, I'll sell the trashed seat for the motors or frame on ebay for $25 or $30 maybe??? Then, that'll put me down below $300 for expenses. I've looked at new seat covers before...it takes a good $1500 for the entire car...I can't ever find just 1 because the rear and passenger seats are pristene. Even if I could find a good deal on some covers, I really want the leather qualities to match. My upholsterer estimated a min. $500 to recover the driver's seat-he figured he could salvage 2 panels of leather.

The previous owner did have kids. I think the previous owner and kids are the reasons for all of the terrible carpet stains. I used a Home Depot carpet cleaner this weekend. It helped a lot, but I still have some more work to do!

I'm thinking hard about this seat, and I'll just spend another $75 to get the console recovered instead of having it all done at the upholstry guy's shop. I really believe the indentations will come out or minimize greatly. I'm a big guy(6'3" and 260lbs), so just by me driving will probably help iron out the indents. This salvage yard was really willing to deal with me. I asked the guy what shipping would be, and he said 60-70, but he'd take the expense. He's asking $350, but I'll call him back tomorrow, and offer him $300(I'd settle for $325!) if he takes shipping!

I have never seen Lexus seats in conditions that bad. What year is your car? Did it come from the southern USA? I have not seen seats that bad on cars here in the southeast- where the sun can really be damaging. I guess it is possible that it never seen any care on the seats- or it was not garage kept like most Lexus'. I agree- I would either have them recovered or replaced. Have you had recovering priced? I know my grandfather had this done to the front seats of his 1990 Mazda 929 sedan. Now the rear seats on his car is terrible on the tops. After the hail storm shattered the rear glass in May of 2002- it got wet and really busted up fast.

90- His car has 230,000 miles on it ;)

I say buy the seat blake. Does he have the armrest too, its really easy to replace. I say go for it. As for the indents in the seat, they may very well go away, and a leatherique treatment will help that along a lot as it really smoothes out the leather. I see cars a lot That have people put breifcases and bags on seats and they look like that, but it does go away. What is he charging for the seat?

As for replacing all the covers with new covers from an aftermarket company like Katskin you can do that, but its probably gonna cost $1000 or so. The seats will look band new though.

99- Thanks for the vote of confidence about being the authority! :D

90LS, my '95 does have 225k miles on the clock-and it can still run circles around my friends domestics despite a trashed seat. I brought her up to 115mph this weekend(on accident-truely! I floored it on the interstate and before I knew it I was at 115-120mph. After I realized it, I slowed to leagal speeds!), and the car was simply perfect! The seat...I guess it's just 10 years of La's brutal heat and the lack of Lexol.

Steve, he's asking $350 for the driver's seat...that includes free shipping which has to be worth at least $70-$100! I don't want to put all new covers on for a number of reasons-mainly all of the other seats are perfect, so spending another $1k over what I really need is a little overkill.

I'm just going to have an upholsterer do the console; he said it'll only be like $75 plus I'll know that it's new and blemish free!

Thanks for all of the help everyone :D

Care of the seats is really the key I guess. My 1990 LS also has 227,700 miles and the seats, carpeting and instrument panel are original and still in excellent to like new conditions, but I must remember that my car was 1-owner and garage kept before I bought it. I was thinking that 225K was very high miles for a 1995, until I remember my 1998 Ford Taurus that I just sold that had 250,000 miles. Beleive it or not- a Ford Taurus with 250K. Unbelievable. I would not have believed it unless I seen it. Still at 225K your car is just getting broke in. Repair/replace that seat and all will be fine- or just keep it as-is- that way you will not have to worry about taking care of the seat. lol. :P

$350 including shipping = sold. Snap that puppy up.

:lol: You think that's a good deal?? The leather really looks nice except for that one wrinkly section which I'm sure will come out.

My car was a 1 owner car. My car came from an extremely wealthy house hold, so I'm sure they didn't know what Lexol is! I'm pretty sure it wasn't garage kept either because the paint is so-so, but that's not real high on my priority list at the moment(I'll save$, and let a body shop compound it or what ever it is that they do with 10 year old baked bugs)!

:cheers: