Does "brand" Of Gas Really Make A Difference?

cduluk

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but i'd like to make a new inquiry about your favorite brands of gasoline.

99% of the time, i get gas from the same Mobile station nearby my house. I'm not sure if it's by habit or what, but i usually go to the same station, same pump and get the same grade (93).

However late last week, i was caught on "E" in the middle of nowhere and forced to get gas at some rinky-dink "Gulf" gas station. I was intending on only putting a few gallons in to get me home, but it was so cold out i just filled the tank to avoid another cold fill-up. At least they had 93...

I could be crazy, but, i swear i can feel a difference (in performance) with my Rx400h. My first observation is that the car is burning fuel at a much quicker rate than usual, as it's only been 3 days and i'm already at the 3/4 mark (and at this point with Mobile gas of the same grade, it should read much higher). At the moment my energy monitor is reporting an average mpg of 20, while i usually get at least 23mpg.

Secondly, the car seems to have more aggression. It feels more powerful, and the car seems to run a lot smoother (happier).

Could it be? Or is it all in my head?

What are your thoughts? Is there REALLY a difference between gasoline brands? Thanks!

There's not really much difference. If you watch them fill stations tanks, there are fuel delivery companies that aren't brand specific, they dump in a small tank of "additives" that are. Sort of the fuel being bad somehow your drivability issues are likely in your head. Gulf is actually a big brand anyways, it's those little no name stations that make me kinda nervous.

I used to be a fuel brand snob, but since gas prices have gotten so high I'm not.

There's not really much difference. If you watch them fill stations tanks, there are fuel delivery companies that aren't brand specific, they dump in a small tank of "additives" that are. Sort of the fuel being bad somehow your drivability issues are likely in your head. Gulf is actually a big brand anyways, it's those little no name stations that make me kinda nervous.

I used to be a fuel brand snob, but since gas prices have gotten so high I'm not.

Yeah, I see the same delivery tankers stop at all of the stations near me: BP, Shell, Mobil, Speedway etc. so I'm not too particular where I buy gas, especially when travelling. Near home I go to the same two stations just for the convenience.

Only 3 things that I can think of that would make a difference.

First - octane and not realizing that "premium" might be different for different stations "92 vs 93 octane". Here in VA, they've got Premium and Super Premium at some other places. I honestly can't recall the span between the two in octane, I think it's 91 to 93? SW, you remember? I do know that my VW seems to like the definition of Premium from Costco vs the Premium at the SunCo across the street. I think it's the octane default level, and:

Two, the age of the underground tank. I've found that newer stations seem to give both my current and former, high-strung 4banger engines better performance. In a V6 an especially a V8, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. But in a little turbo 4, I can tell and hear it in the roughness of the engine. I've financed a few CRE projects that required the removal of in-use underground gas tanks before. While operational, there condition was to the point that in my opinion, had to have negatively impacted the cleanliness of the gas they served up.

Three - Kentucky. Don't ask, just know that over my 20 years of having to drive through the beautiful state of Kentucky, far more times than not, if I needed to fill up, I'd somehow always need a bottle of HEET to combat the water in my tank. Strange, I know, but absolutely true! From my drives from NC to KC in the 90's, to those drives from IL to NC during my Chicago days. Almost a certain that it would happen.

Anybody using ethanol free gas? If so what difference does it seem to make in your mileage? We recently purchased a 2013 RX350 (wifes) and haven't had to fill it yet. She currently is averaging 19 mpg. My car is a MINI S and I use ethanol free premium. I seem to get better mileage and power with it. It is 30 cents more a gallon and with the increased mpgs and power it is worth it IMO. You can go to puregas.org to find a station that sells it near you. What should we use premium or regular?

I know that a few brands like to insert additives into their gasoline (Chevron with Techron, etc.), but I'm not sure that it makes a noticeable difference in the end. This is the kind of thing you'd need to conduct a proper study to know for sure, and I'm not aware of anyone having done that. Maybe something Motor Trend should undertake in the future?

being on the left coast, and the California Air Resources Board gestapo, our gas sucks big time...no differences from one station to the next. can only get 91 octane....

Being on the left coast, thanks to California Air Resources Board, I can breath clean air and enjoy the pano view from my rear deck without looking through visibility-reducing smog. The 91 octane Chevron gas works fine in my high compression IS350, no pinging. :mellow:

Ethanol-free is defiantly the way to go. Better mileage without ethanol; ethanol dirties the engine; It is a waste of valuable resources (corn) and makes the price of food go up. Here in Wisconsin they have to label how much Ethanol is put into the gas. There are even some stations that sell all their gas Ethanol-free; although, most of the time it is only the premium grade that has the ethanol.

I have a 2011 RX350. I've used 87 octane up to 93 octane both ethanol and non-ethanol gas from virtually every brand in our area and states that we travel. I find absolutely no noticable difference in any of it. The vehicle gets about 18.5 miles to the gallon on all of it.

I have a Toyota Sienna, same engine, same thing on it except it gets about 19.5 miles to the gallon.

I also have a BMW that it does make a big difference in the octane rating and definitely runs better on non-ethanol gas.

Any brand gas is usually better than grocery store gas. Any gas within many miles of major cities is required to have 10-15% ethanol in it which produces less power. You probably roamed far enough to get into pure gasoline country and saw how your engine was designed to run.

both ethanol and non-ethanol gas from virtually every brand in our area and states that we travel. I find absolutely no noticable [sic] difference in any of it.

I usually try to have three fill-ups in a row from the same station using the same gas when I compare. I know that can't always happen, but it helps to be sure of what you are testing.

Any gas within many miles of major cities is required to have 10-15% ethanol in it which produces less power. You probably roamed far enough to get into pure gasoline country and saw how your engine was designed to run.

That must vary state-to-state. I live outside a town in rural Wisconsin population around 400. The premium grade at out local BP does not have any ethanol, but the other grades do. By the same token, most (if not all) the Shell stations in Madison, Wisconsin, all have premium without ethanol. And there are a lot of shell stations there.

Wait and see what happens to the engines and mileage if the 15% allowance goes through. We should just stop subsidizing ethanol. [sorry about the political thoughts.]

It used to make a difference in what and where you bought your gas.

I'm sure there are some of you who remember when there were actualy "Gas Stations". You know, in your nieborhood, changed your oil, fixed a flat, came out and jumped your car? My Dad owned a Gas Station for over 20 years and all 3 of us boys grew up working there.

We pumped Mobil gasoline. Down the street the Standard station pumped Standard. And every week you could watch the big tankers fill up at the pipeline dock and load up with their specific brand. When you said "fill'er up with regular" you knew you were getting Shell, Mobil, or what ever brand you liked. Frankly , where you went and what brand of gas you used was based more on how friendly the attendant was and if you could "charge it" at the station.

As someone else said, what you buy today is basically all the same sense most prople seem to buy their gas at convienance stores.

Paul

Ah miss those days of somebody pumping your gas...provided jobs, and your car was kept up to date with whatever the attendant was allowed to sell you....I worked in a Texaco way back then, I loved that job in my teen years, and it taught me how to treat customers. We had to clean all windows, (not just front), headlights, and check fluids when allowed. we even checked air pressure in tires and filled for free... People expected that and had many great conversations that summer. Oh and gas was 27.9 per gallon....

Ah miss those days of somebody pumping your gas...provided jobs, and your car was kept up to date with whatever the attendant was allowed to sell you....I worked in a Texaco way back then, I loved that job in my teen years, and it taught me how to treat customers. We had to clean all windows, (not just front), headlights, and check fluids when allowed. we even checked air pressure in tires and filled for free... People expected that and had many great conversations that summer. Oh and gas was 27.9 per gallon....

When I was in high school, we'd go to the gas station, get $1.00 of regular and be good for the night.

• 2 months later...

Don't know what or how much ethanol is in the gas I use. (I only use Chevron premium in the Lexus)

It's 10% ethanol mandated in California and of course we have a "summer" and a different "winter" blend. Arizona has ethanol too but I always get better mileage with Chevron from over there.