Called Lexus, Atf Questions.

acf

First, want to thank 99LSGUY for all his wisdom about this service. Thanks for taking the extra time. :cheers:

Been 36K miles since any fill or flush has been done.

My local Lexus dealer wants ~$150 to the service. Includes changing the filter. Not a bad price.

So I called a local shop I trust who want ~$109 to do the service. They said they use a "cleaner" and "conditioner" and that I WOULDN'T need my filter changed. (Does the filter NEED to be changed?) But they use a semi-synthetic Valvoline fluid. I keep hearing about how important it is to use the Toyota T-IV fluid. Any problem there? Local shop quarantees they'd do a better job than Lexus. Gotta love the confidence I guess. :D

acf.

Thanks bro...we're getting there aren't we :lol:

Check out page 23 of the LS Gallery photos - the ATF pan is off and you can see the "filter" - which is made up of several mesh screens...they are wire and usually in good shape regardless...

If the Lexus dealer says they "clean or replace" those screens, they have to take the pan off. I think $150 (including the ATF) for Lexus to do this is a good deal (from Lexus, that is). Ask if they really do take off the pan, and ask to see the screens while its up on the lift. If they balk or decide the pan really stays on for the service, then I'd just go to your trusty garage.

But, if you go to Garage; I really think you should use the Toyota T-IV fluid. Ask them to use it or bring your own (12 quarts) and get a credit for the fluid.

T-IV is a Dex III compatible fluid with synthetic additives - and Toyota designed the fluid to work in these transmissions: its good stuff!

I did just confirm that my local shop does the full change, all 14 qts. (or whatever is in there) and has the flush machine to get the torque converter as well. They have done good work on my other cars and are runnig that $109 special this week. Think that's what I'm gonna do. I asked him again about the Toyota fluid and he told me the Valvoline will work at least as well on my car ('97 LS 400). Think I'm gonna take a chance there. B)

Peace of mind. B)

To service the transmission, the Toyota / Lexus engineers just want you to just drain and refill the transmission oil pan and add roughly 3 quarts of this inexpensive and special Type T-IV fluid: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typet.jpg They do not recommend or endorse "total fluid replacements" or the use of imitation fluids like the Valvoline fluid.

Disregarding the advice of the Toyota / Lexus engineers is fine for owners who can afford the financial and inconvenience consequences of taking risks. But for those that can't they should not try to blame the Lexus dealer or Valvoline for their troubles, if they have any, because there is only one person who is ultimately responsible for their troubles.

I did a total tansmission fluid replacement, used Toyota type IV fluid, cleaned the filter mesh screen & had a new transmission pan gasket replaced (Lexus part). The owners manual never stated that you should "never" do a total fluid change. In fact I wish the owners manual would be a lot more specific with regards to certain fluid capacities which are missing. Would you drain only 1/3 of your oil out of your engine if it was really dirty & only top up with new oil while leaving the old oil filter in as well? Same can be said for an engine coolant flush. :chairshot:

:cheers:

I wa surprized to hear that you are not suppose to do total fluid flushes. When I had the dealer service my transmission they said all they do is drain, clean the screen, and refill. Good information you found there Monarch (ODU?)

What's the dealers reasoning behind not doing a "total" transmission flush? I bet they don't have the machine to do it perhaps? :whistles: It's not mentioned anywhere in the owners manual to stay away from a total flush. I made a couple phone calls to a few Lexus dealers, 2 had the machine & one didn't......of course there answer was biased depending on the equipment they had.

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...