Xpel Protective Film

larrymcj

Anyone had Xpel protective film put on their Lexus? If so, are you happy? I had the dealership install it on my new RX 350 but I'm starting to have second thoughts and may peel it off. Just too many precautions...have to clean it with a particularly fine microfiber mitt/towel...can't put bug release on it...can't use a bug sponge on it, so bugs are a huge problem...film mfg doesn't endorse it going through car washes (my Lexus dealer puts all their cars through one each time it's in the shop). Basically, I'm just afraid of it and wondering if taking a chance without it might be better. I know the film industry and appliers think this product is way better than the older VentureShield by 3M, but still... Appreciate anyone else's thoughts, especially about using a good car wash with felt brushes and wipes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A protective film in my opinion is a must for the headlights. It will prevent fogging and replacement due to crazing. Headlights are now made of plastic, not glass. Just go price the replacement cost of a Lexus headlight and you will see why say this. Get the film from a 3rd party detailer rather than a Lexus dealer and you will save a lot of money. To save money, you can get precuts on-line but installation is tricky if you want to completely eliminate air bubbles. It is worth the labor charge to have it done right and avoid frustration.

• 3 months later...

My wife's 2010 Rx350 and my now totaled Nissan business van have Xpel. Much better product than 3m brand clear film. 

Thicker, doesn't yellow, self repairing on minor impacts and holding up well to regular washing and chemicals from raid for snow. 

Highly recommend and to have it professionally installed by competent tech.