Received Csp For 2010 Is250

CSP (Customer Support Program) is for 2006 GS300 and 2006 to certain 2010 IS250/IS250C. It is for Engine Misfire (Intermittently Runs Rough). The support program is for 9 years with no mileage restrictions from the vehicle's in-service date.

During that time, Lexus will fix it for free. Looks like it involves replacing the piston rings or pistons. They need the car for about 4 days or more!

Anyone heard of this or had any problems like this?

Thanks

My '07IS is at the dealer now for this. They have had it 10 days so far; they say it will be ready Monday and should perform good as new once done. They need to pull out the engine to replace the piston rings and clean the carbon deposits.

My '07IS is at the dealer now for this. They have had it 10 days so far; they say it will be ready Monday and should perform good as new once done. They need to pull out the engine to replace the piston rings and clean the carbon deposits.

Thanks tex2670. Did anyone mention what causes the problem? Mileage related? How many miles on your '07?

Just curious,

Wow that's amazing and sounds expensive. Glad to hear Lexus step up for customers.

Just got it back yesterday. They also replaced a water pump and a wheel bearing--total cost billed to corporate under warranty: $6000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2006 IS250 AWD and just got this bulletin as well. Unfortunately, I'm pretty ticked right now.

First of all, I'm 99% certain that this issue has been affecting my car since I've had it, especially the running rough when coming to a stop part. Also, twice, I have taken it to Lexus because of the misfiring. I was accelerating after slowing down, and the engine basically started shuddering, and I couldn't accelerate, or get above about 25 MPH. The check engine light was on and a "Check CVS" message was displayed on the console. Pretty much exactly what's described in the bulletin. The first time, they found a diag code and cleaned the carbon from the engine. The 2nd time, about 2 weeks ago, it happened, so I pulled into a parking lot, shut the car off for a while, and when I started it again, everything was back to normal. Once at the dealership, they said they couldn't find a diag code, and sent me home with no repairs done, but no bill either.

I'm not sure if they knew about this bulletin at the dealership at that point, but I described it pretty clearly.

So I called the dealership today, and they tell me that several things need to happen for them to do these repairs. First, I need to show up at the dealership with the check engine light on. Or it had to have been on at some point, such that they find an applicable diagnostic code. Which they did do, but this was the first time, probably 2 years ago. They told me if they do find the code, they first have to do a drive test to duplicate the problem. And they ONLY if they duplicate it, they have to check the spark plugs, and if they're factory, THEN they do the repairs. If not factory, they replace them at the owners expense. I have no idea if my spark plugs are factory, but I'm guessing they are, I've had the car for almost 4 years and haven't replaced them.

In any case, I'm pretty *BLEEP*ed off that they won't do the repairs unless I bring it in under these conditions, AND they can duplicate it while it's there. The chances of that happening are probably low.

Did anyone else's dealership question them about this, and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2006 IS250 AWD and just got this bulletin as well. Unfortunately, I'm pretty ticked right now.

First of all, I'm 99% certain that this issue has been affecting my car since I've had it, especially the running rough when coming to a stop part. Also, twice, I have taken it to Lexus because of the misfiring. I was accelerating after slowing down, and the engine basically started shuddering, and I couldn't accelerate, or get above about 25 MPH. The check engine light was on and a "Check CVS" message was displayed on the console. Pretty much exactly what's described in the bulletin. The first time, they found a diag code and cleaned the carbon from the engine. The 2nd time, about 2 weeks ago, it happened, so I pulled into a parking lot, shut the car off for a while, and when I started it again, everything was back to normal. Once at the dealership, they said they couldn't find a diag code, and sent me home with no repairs done, but no bill either.

I'm not sure if they knew about this bulletin at the dealership at that point, but I described it pretty clearly.

So I called the dealership today, and they tell me that several things need to happen for them to do these repairs. First, I need to show up at the dealership with the check engine light on. Or it had to have been on at some point, such that they find an applicable diagnostic code. Which they did do, but this was the first time, probably 2 years ago. They told me if they do find the code, they first have to do a drive test to duplicate the problem. And they ONLY if they duplicate it, they have to check the spark plugs, and if they're factory, THEN they do the repairs. If not factory, they replace them at the owners expense. I have no idea if my spark plugs are factory, but I'm guessing they are, I've had the car for almost 4 years and haven't replaced them.

In any case, I'm pretty *BLEEP*ed off that they won't do the repairs unless I bring it in under these conditions, AND they can duplicate it while it's there. The chances of that happening are probably low.

Did anyone else's dealership question them about this, and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

This was not my experience. I called and reported my issue--that I felt rough idle at stop lights or stop signs -- occasionally. They told me something about replicating the problem, and when I asked them how that could happen since it's only occasional, they said they check the codes. I did get a "Check Engine" light once--maybe 9 months before I brought it in for service. But I tightened the gas cap, and that was that. I also had a low oil warning about a year before--but I topped the engine off, and never had it again. The dealer went totally by whatever codes they found--not a check engine light being on when I got there, or actually witnessing the problem.

As to finding the code, they did tell me that it needs to be shown "intermittently". They couldn't define this--it's something more than occasionally, apparently.

I dropped my 2009 lexus is250 at longo two weeks ago and they are still not done with it. They said that after replacing the piston ring something the problem still exists so now they have to replace a front engine block according to the service rep. He said its like getting a brand new engine is that true, I don't know much about cars. He said good news to me is that it will not cost me a dime it's all covered under warranty. For some reasons I'm not comfortable with having people dealing with engine? Will my car be running better or worse?? Can't wait for one more week to get it back. Anyone with the same issue please comment.

• 2 weeks later...

You're not the only one. I never received my CSP notice and I'm pretty sure the previous owners didn't either. I ended up going to dealer and they were happy to see another CSP client

The dealer ordered my parts but parts from Jp are on back order. I already have over 100k on my GS and Lexus won't cover new O2 sensors on the exhaust. Eventually the cats will fail.

:chairshot:

Thanks to Tex2670 for the info.

Thanks tex2670. Did anyone mention what causes the problem? Mileage related? How many miles on your '07?

Just curious,

Just saw a post on ClubLexus today with a good explanation (thanks to solotex55 -- no relation):

Hi guys and gals, I am a Lexus Senior Certified tech at a large Lexus dealership. In reading some of the posts here, I see alot of confusion about this subject. You seem to know about carbon build-up, but not the how or why and most important...the fix or prevention.

First, how and why...the misfire is caused when carbon that has built-up on the intake valve flakes off and becomes stuck between the valve and the seat causing loss of compression. This can last from a few seconds to minutes. It does not damage the engine, but can set a Check Engine light if it lasts long enough. The carbon is caused by crankcase blow-by...oil getting in the intake system. With a Direct Injection engine there is no fuel flow over the valve to clean it. The fix is to reduce blow-by...after you clean-up the valves. Lexus has another TSIB out for this. I believe it is L-SB-0048-11. It involes replacing ALL the pistons and rings,also cleaning the valves and replacing the valve stem seals. I personally have done 4 of these. It is most common around 60k miles, but have seen it as low as 29k. It is fully covered under 6/70 powertrain warranty. Now about prevention....I don't know of any. Why do some cars do it at 30k and others have 100k w/o a problem??? Synthetic oil may help, but not enough data to be sure. Good, clean oil can't hurt. The 350 and V-8 models do not have this problem. If you have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

tex2670 - Thanks for the above explaination. Is this post by Jetson related and can you explain what caused that? The same thing happened to me on Sunday while I was driving 80+ mph on a 2 lane highway from Dallas to Houston. The gas light came on and I was planning to stop at the next exit but the "Check VSC" light came on, the car surged briefly and then started to decelerate quickly. I pulled over and turned it off and tried to turn on the car again, while also trying brake and gas pedals but it sputtered, lights flashed and died again. Several hours and $200 later, my dog, the car and I were all towed to the dealership in Houston. Several weeks before this, I was experiencing the low idle at stop lights.

My car is ~90,000 miles. The dealership initially thought I had run out of gas but after I explained the low idle, they knew the issue and are doing the piston replacement. Really thankful the people at Westside Lexus are so great. Just curious if you had heard of the "check VSC" light and deceleration examples as well?

tex2670 - Thanks for the above explaination. Is this post by Jetson related and can you explain what caused that? The same thing happened to me on Sunday while I was driving 80+ mph on a 2 lane highway from Dallas to Houston. The gas light came on and I was planning to stop at the next exit but the "Check VSC" light came on, the car surged briefly and then started to decelerate quickly. I pulled over and turned it off and tried to turn on the car again, while also trying brake and gas pedals but it sputtered, lights flashed and died again. Several hours and $200 later, my dog, the car and I were all towed to the dealership in Houston. Several weeks before this, I was experiencing the low idle at stop lights.

My car is ~90,000 miles. The dealership initially thought I had run out of gas but after I explained the low idle, they knew the issue and are doing the piston replacement. Really thankful the people at Westside Lexus are so great. Just curious if you had heard of the "check VSC" light and deceleration examples as well?

I have not read about this. Try Club Lexus.

No, the VSC light might be another issue. You should be able to pull in to the Lexus dealer and ask them to check it out. Afterall, once they've submitted a claim for the CSP they'll be making a few thousand dollars off the recall.

I had my pistons replaced in Sept (took them about a week since they also had to order the parts) under the CSP for my 2009 IS250 @ 47K miles. All was well until last month when I started to feel the car idling strangely when at a stop. It happens every so often. No engine light. I mainly use mid-grade gasoline from Shell (newer stations). I've put on about 7K miles since Sept. Could my car be getting carbon buildup already after 6 months? Should I try a fuel additive like SeaFoam?

• 8 months later...

I have a 2006 IS 250 with 147,000 miles on it. I got an engine misfire about a year ago and in the last six months have been burning oil increasingly faster. I brought it in to the dealer and qualified for the customer support program. They are fixing the engine under warrantee. My question is how long does this take to repair?? They have had the car a week already with no word on how much longer they will have it.

I have a 2006 IS 250 with 147,000 miles on it. I got an engine misfire about a year ago and in the last six months have been burning oil increasingly faster. I brought it in to the dealer and qualified for the customer support program. They are fixing the engine under warrantee. My question is how long does this take to repair?? They have had the car a week already with no word on how much longer they will have it.

They had my car last year for just under 2 weeks.

tex2670/Tepbro326/others-

Are you guys saying that you were able to get your Lexus fixed without them having to do any "reproducing" of the problem? You just brought the car in, explained what was going on, and they fixed it? This is not what they told me when I was in over a year ago.

If that's the case, I guess I'm going to need to make another appointment. I did just get another TIB about a wiper blade or something like that, so maybe it's a good time. Where are you located and what was the dealership you took your vehicles to?

Thanks.

Not saying that. When I brought the car in they had to run some tests which included replicating the misfire/rough idle problem. They then sent the information to Lexus in California. It was later that evening that I got the word from the dealer that my car qualified for the CSP and they fixed it under warrantee. They had it a week.

tex2670/Tepbro326/others-

Are you guys saying that you were able to get your Lexus fixed without them having to do any "reproducing" of the problem? You just brought the car in, explained what was going on, and they fixed it? This is not what they told me when I was in over a year ago.

If that's the case, I guess I'm going to need to make another appointment. I did just get another TIB about a wiper blade or something like that, so maybe it's a good time. Where are you located and what was the dealership you took your vehicles to?

Thanks.

I called the dealer (Lexus of Chester Springs, PA) when I got the CSP letter. They told me that either they need to replicate it, or they need to see evidence of excess oil consumption, or they need to see "enough" misfire codes in the ECU. I'm not sure which was the case for my car. I was ready for a fight because I had definitely seen the RPM drop while sitting at traffic lights--even my wife noticed. But they just called me and said "You qualify, we'll get started right away".

If your ECU has recorded the requisite misfire codes, it doesn't make sense to me at all that they would also need to replicate the problem.